What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Well the Bots attached to this site made it near impossible for me to post anything. It is quite annoying. Hope that Rob will soon address this problem, and make GMG secure against these attacks.

Secular Polyphony of the Andalusian School.
Sevilla, circa 1560.

La Trulla de Bozes, Carlos Sandua.

Marvelous singing, very good choir balance, voices matching with each other, consistent in its projection, and utterly satisfying in the end result. Never heard of this ensemble, but I am impressed including the fine recording. I am for one very happy with the result.

(A link to JPC with some music samples and other info.)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Sevilla-ca-1560-Secular-Polyphony-of-the-Andalusian-School/hnum/6162843

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Accordato, Habsburg Violin Music, Ex Vienna, from the Manuscript XIV 726 of the Minoritenkonvent in Vienna.

Ars Antiqua Austria, Gunar Letzbor.

By now a few people on GMG know how good this recording is. Gunar Letzbor well behaved, plays sensitively and with insight into musical matters. Detailed and played with restrained passion, in which he clearly projects the genius of every composer on this CD. A great ambassador.
Sound and performance is exemplary.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 [Jochum]

aligreto

Quote from: Que on August 25, 2019, 04:17:21 AM
Agreed, thank you gentlemen!  :)

Now:

[asin]B000A6OC5S[/asin]
My discovery of Boccherini came rather late, but I'm enjoying every minute of it!  :)
Sensational stuff....

Q

There is a lot to enjoy in Boccherini's music so you have a lot to look forward to.

Traverso

aligreto

Schubert: Quintet in C major [Aeolian Quartet]

SimonNZ

amw

Quote from: Madiel on August 25, 2019, 03:32:26 AM
It seems I need to add Shostakovich to the list of composers I can completely obsess over. I think the 14th Symphony broke me.
It's my favourte of his symphonies, and probably of his works overall. Also prompted me to listen a lot more seriously to his songs.

aligreto

Mahler: Piano Quartet Movement [Domus]

If I heard this movement in isolation I would not assign the music to Mahler but rather to Brahms perhaps. It is heavily late Romantic in tone.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 23, 2019, 11:45:53 PM
Do you know the one by Alwyn Lol? I think that it is the most underrated of them all.

No I do not Jeffrey. I will rectify that. I have been listening to this -

A slow burn, but every time I listen I like it more.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: Traverso on August 25, 2019, 05:42:34 AM
Svjatoslav Richter Recital: Haydn, Chopin, Debussy Und Prokofieff

Piano Sonata In G Minor Hob. XVI:44
Joseph Haydn

Ballade No. 3 In A Flat Major Op. 47: Allegretto
Frédéric Chopin

From Préludes Pour Piano (Book I)
Claude Debussy

Piano Sonata No. 8 In B Flat Major Op. 84
Sergei Prokofiev

The Debussy and Prokofiev are particularly transcendent
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Irons

Quote from: JBS on August 24, 2019, 08:31:17 PM
I have that as part of this double CD. Your observation applies equally well to the other three concertos.

I must confess Veale is a name I have not heard of. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

bhodges

Quote from: kyjo on August 24, 2019, 12:58:39 PM
An utterly fantastic disc! In most other hands, Dvorak's 6th comes across as a merely "pleasant" work. Not so with Dohnányi and the Clevelanders, who invest the music with such energy and commitment that it almost becomes a completely different piece, on par with the last three symphonies.

Agree with you 100%. It has become one of my favorites, along with 7 and 8. No. 9 is fine, but suffers a bit from overexposure, compared to the other three.

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 25, 2019, 03:13:24 AM

György Kurtág: ... quasi una fantasia ..., op.27. Hermann Kretzschmar, Peter Eötvös, Ensemble Modern. Beautiful piece. I should explore Kurtág further.

Fantastic recording. Would you believe, one year I put it on while family members were making Thanksgiving dinner?  ;D

(And oh well, there goes that invitation.)

--Bruce

Traverso

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on August 25, 2019, 10:21:31 AM
The Debussy and Prokofiev are particularly transcendent

His Prokofiev is intimate ,very surprising and enjoyable.

aligreto

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony [Barbirolli]

I have listened to this version relatively recently and listening to it again shortly after listening to the versions under both Boult and Previn I am getting a slightly different "feel" from this Barbirolli version. I have found it to be a somewhat darker and also a more turbulent version than I first thought of it in isolation [which is interesting in itself].

Karl Henning

Liszt
Sonata in b minor
Totentanz
Brendel & al.
From the Decca Artist's Choice compilation

"Papa"
Quartets Op. 77 nos 1 & 2
Kodály Quartet

LvB & Brahms
Vn Concerti
Milstein
Pittsburgh
Steinberg

"Wolferl"
Gran Partita
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

LvB
Op. 59 Quartets
Vermeer Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kontrapunctus

Great playing and sound. Quite a fresh look at these masterpieces

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major, "Symphony of a Thousand". Leonard Bernstein, London Symphony Chorus and Orchestra, too many choruses and soloists to name. I am giving this gargantuan piece a second chance, and, to my surprise, enjoying it so far. I may stop while I'm ahead and only listen to the first part. We'll see.

I think this recording is, so far, much better (or preferable to me at least) than the famous Solti/Chicago, the only other recording I've heard.

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2019, 11:42:26 AM
Liszt
Sonata in b minor
Totentanz
Brendel & al.
From the Decca Artist's Choice compilation

"Papa"
Quartets Op. 77 nos 1 & 2
Kodály Quartet

LvB & Brahms
Vn Concerti
Milstein
Pittsburgh
Steinberg

"Wolferl"
Gran Partita
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

LvB
Op. 59 Quartets
Vermeer Quartet

Quite a collection of monsterpiecies!

Nielsen day:

[asin] B00WFMVLTU[/asin]

Symphonies 6, 2 and 1.  24/96 stream via Qobuz.  Gorgeous recording (in MediaCityUK, Salford) and lovely playing by the BBC Philharmonic.