What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 11, 2019, 12:39:06 PM
Just a first listen but it sounded quite a dated approach to me.

I do not own the LP in question, but I own this:

https://www.discogs.com/Machaut-Landini-Dufay-Ancient-Instrument-Ensemble-Of-Zurich-Ballads-Rondeaux-And-Virelais-From-The-1/release/11257830

In some way the unrefined quality of his voice seems unsuited to that kind of music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 12, 2019, 01:31:10 AM
Yes. This i own already.

I have yet to acquire this box of the Flemish polyphony. Just wait for a good price.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Webern

5 Pieces For Orchestra (1913)   

3 Orchestral Songs For Voice & Orchestra (1913-194)

Symphony, Op. 21

Das Augenlicht, Op. 26

Cantata No. 1, Op. 29

Variations For Orchestra, Op. 30

Cantata No. 2, Op. 31

Harry

Music in Germany from Schutz to Bach. Compiled by Jerome Lejeune.

CD II.
Composers on disc II.
Heinrich Schutz, Johann Krieger, Johann Sebastiani, Hieronymus Praetorius, Thomas Selle.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Ricercar consort, Philippe Pierlot, Capella Sancti Michaelis, Erik van Nevel, Cantus Colln, Konrad Junghanel, Concerto Palatino, Akademia, Francoise Lasserre, Les Corsaires du Roy.

Soloists:
Barbara Borden, Douglas Nasrawi, Henri Ledroit, Bernard Foccroulle, Agnes Mellon, Steve Dugardin, Stephan van Dijk, Paul Agnew, Job Boswinkel, Monika Mauch, Mark Padmore, Marius van Alten, Jan van Elsacker, Philippe Froeliger, Renaud Delaigue, Bertrand Chuberre, Emmanuel Vistorsky, Claire Lefilliatre, Vincent Gregoire, Herve Lamy, Max van Egmond, James Bowman.

The first half of the CD is dedicated to Heinrich Schutz, and again Vox Luminis is starting CD II,
Track 3 "Domine labia mea aperies" from Symphoniae Sacrae I is filling my heart with awe, sung by Barbara Borden and Douglas Nasrawi, and accompanied by Concerto Palatino is a winner. Henri Ledroit is performing together with Bernard Foccroulle on Harpsichord "Eile mich Gott zu erretten" from the Kleine geistliche Konzerte. It has the emotional gravitas it needs, and the performance is perfectly acceptable, although I have it also with a soprano, and that has my preference. No matter this is really good.
A moving rendition of "Aus Tiefer not" (Becker Psalter) by Vox Luminis, well balanced and spiritual moving. A favourite with me is Scheidt's "Herr, nun lasst du deinen Diener" from the Musikalische Exequien, also performed by Vox Luminis. For me this composition has an extra meaning, coupled with a personal experience. Really well performed. I know the complete text that follows by heart.
The rest is always on a high level, no complaints whatsoever.

Tsaraslondon

A reconstruction of the 1595 Venetian Coronation of Doge Marino Grimani. Superb performances of the music of the Gabrielis in magnificent sound.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on September 12, 2019, 01:55:05 AM
https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/the-flemish-polyphony-colour-book-of-200-pages-8-cd-s-in-a-magnificent-box-ric-102

Thank you for the link. It is the same price on JPC de. I acquired the present boxes for 24,95€, on JPC, and I forgot to order the Flemish polyphony.
So I will wait a little me thinks.

Harry

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 12, 2019, 02:36:49 AM

A reconstruction of the 1595 Venetian Coronation of Doge Marino Grimani. Superb performances of the music of the Gabrielis in magnificent sound.

Yes, that was also my conclusion. I very much liked this performance.

Biffo

Sibelius: Symphony No 6 in D minor - Berglund/Chamber Orchestra of Europe - I disliked this cycle on first hearing, revisiting No 6 confirms that dislike. As Roasted Swan posted recently, it si distinctive in a 'need to be different kind of way'. I found it irritating. No 3 from the cycle isn't too bad though.

Harry

CD III.

Composers on disc III.
Thomas Selle, Friedrich Wilhelm Zachow, Franz Tunder, Matthias Weckmann, Dieterich Buxtehude.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Ricercar consort, Capella Ricerar, Capella Sancti Michaelis, Erik van Nevel, Collegium Vocale, Philippe Herreweghe.

Soloists:
Henri Ledroit, Agnes Mellon, Greta de Reyghere, Max van Egmond, James Bowman, Guy de Mey, Deborah York, Jan Kobow, Benoit Haller, Ian Honeyman, Francois Fernandez.

The following highlights on CD II are for me:  "Es begab sich aber" composed by Thomas Selle, performed by Greta de Reyghere, Guy de Mey, plus the Ricercar consort and ensemble. Apart being a fine and well written piece, the narrative is perfect too, well sung! De Reyghere can lash out with her voice sometimes, but this combination works well.
Loved "Ach Herr, lass deine lieben Engelein" composed by Franz Tunder, sung by Greta De Reyghere, with the Ricercar consort, her voice is kind of floating like angels in heaven, brittle and full of feeling.
Also a highlight is Weckmann's composition "Weine Nicht" beautifully performed by James Bowman, Ian Honeyman and Max Van Egmond, plus the Ricercar consort. All three voices are a match made in heaven, for there is a real synergy. Superb.

Good performances throughout, and good sound.

San Antone

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 11, 2019, 02:32:37 PM
ALL of the Ravel recorded by this combination is very good.  Transformed when released on CD.  I'd known it through the old warp-prone crackly Vox LP's and suddenly on CD the brilliance of the music making was revealed.  The (complete) Ma Mere L'Oye and a sparkling Alborada highlights for me alongside the Daphnis Suites.....

From an Amazon review...." [These] were recorded by the famous team of Marc Aubort and the late Joanna Nickrenz who were among the first to use Dolby A Noise reduction (called Dolby s/n stretcher), which for the first time achieved a signal to noise ratio of over 80 db on magnetic tape. These recordings were made in the mid to late 1970's for the Vox/Turnabaout label in the new Minnesota Orchestra Hall. This hall is considered by many to be the most acoustically perfect hall in the world. Marc Aubort and Joanna Nickrenz captured the orchestra and ambient hall beautifully. There is great detail yet the hall reverberation is captured to great and beautiful effect which really enhances the performance."

Thanks for info, much appreciated. I noted that the audiophile label Mobile Fidelity released this set of works on CD - they are not silly are they! If I can locate a Turnabout LP I will break a long held rule of avoiding "Bolero".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2019, 03:42:33 AM

CD III.

Composers on disc III.
Thomas Selle, Friedrich Wilhelm Zachow, Franz Tunder, Matthias Weckmann, Dieterich Buxtehude.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Ricercar consort, Capella Ricerar, Capella Sancti Michaelis, Erik van Nevel, Collegium Vocale, Philippe Herreweghe.

Soloists:
Henri Ledroit, Agnes Mellon, Greta de Reyghere, Max van Egmond, James Bowman, Guy de Mey, Deborah York, Jan Kobow, Benoit Haller, Ian Honeyman, Francois Fernandez.

The following highlights on CD II are for me:  "Es begab sich aber" composed by Thomas Selle, performed by Greta de Reyghere, Guy de Mey, plus the Ricercar consort and ensemble. Apart being a fine and well written piece, the narrative is perfect too, well sung! De Reyghere can lash out with her voice sometimes, but this combination works well.
Loved "Ach Herr, lass deine lieben Engelein" composed by Franz Tunder, sung by Greta De Reyghere, with the Ricercar consort, her voice is kind of floating like angels in heaven, brittle and full of feeling.
Also a highlight is Weckmann's composition "Weine Nicht" beautifully performed by James Bowman, Ian Honeyman and Max Van Egmond, plus the Ricercar consort. All three voices are a match made in heaven, for there is a real synergy. Superb.

Good performances throughout, and good sound.

that describes her voice very well. ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on September 12, 2019, 01:16:53 AM
Also listening to Sibelius over the last couple of days - Symphonies 4 & 5 - Berglund conducting the Bournemouth SO

Excellent!

Thread Duty:

Liszt
Sonata in b minor
Hamelin
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on September 12, 2019, 05:10:59 AM
that describes her voice very well. ;)

She made a recording of BWV 21 for Kuijken, rather nicely. I'm very keen on voices like that, voices which shower you with diamonds.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on September 12, 2019, 05:19:58 AM
She made a recording of BWV 21 for Kuijken, rather nicely. I'm very keen on voices like that, voices which shower you with diamonds.

An exfoliating shower?

Thread Duty:

Dvořák
Symphonies # 7 in d minor & # 8 in G
LSO
Kertész
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Andre Souris
Symphonies and orchestral songs
From the Liège box

Film music really of the conventional 1930s. Left me unsmiling ....

Harry

CD IV.

Composers on disc IV.
Dieterich Buxtehude,Nicolaus Bruhns, Anonymous, Johann Christoph Bach, Johann Michael Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach.

Performers:
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier, Ricercar consort, Collegium Vocale, Rene Jacobs, Stylus Phantasticus.

Soloists:
Henri Ledroit, Agnes Mellon, Greta de Reyghere, Max van Egmond, James Bowman, Guy de Mey,  Maria Cristina Kiehr, Martina Bover,Andreas Scholl, Gert Turk, Ulrich Messthaler/

The CD starts with a wonderful composition by Buxtehude, "Ich suchte des Nachts" with a more than excellent Guy de Mey, and Max van Egmond, together with the Ricercar consort. Did not hear this before, and fell with my nose in the butter, a saying in Holland, for I have enjoyed this immensely.
And who could resist when Maria Cristina Kiehr sings "Herr, wenn ich nur dich habe"  by Buxtehude, accompanied by Stylus Phantasticus? Superb.
Nicolaus Bruhns wrote  "Die Zeit meines Abschieds ist vorhanden" with, Greta de Reyghere, Max van Egmond, James Bowman, Guy de Mey & Ricercar consort, and what a sublime work that is. Did not hear it before, but its a firm favourite now.
And I certainly enjoyed two composition at the end performed by Vox Luminis the first being "Halt, was du hast" by Johann Michael Bach & "Ich lasse dich nicht" by Johann Christoph Bach & Johann Sebastian Bach. Such intense but very controlled interpretations. A clear articulation, and fine coloring.
All on this CD has been enjoyed. Sound is uniformly good.

aligreto

Debussy: Pelleas et Melisande [von Karajan]