What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Current listening:

Wiren is generally underrated.

SimonNZ

"Gabrieli and His Era" - August Wenzinger

reminding me that I'm still hoping to find somewhere a comprehensive list of Grand Prix du Disque winners

Introverted

NP:

[asin]B07S98JPZW[/asin]

Myaskovsky: String Quartet #3 in D Minor, Op. 33/3

A sort of recent purchase - I love String Quartets... :-*

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Introverted on September 12, 2019, 02:16:30 PM
NP:

[asin]B07S98JPZW[/asin]

Myaskovsky: String Quartet #3 in D Minor, Op. 33/3

A sort of recent purchase - I love String Quartets... :-*

It's an excellent set. In many of those quartets we feel a more intimate and troubled Myaskovsky.

SymphonicAddict

j winter

Quote from: The new erato on September 12, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
Do the Metamorphosen. Please. It's the greatest thing he ever did.

That's very high praise; I will definitely listen tomorrow and report back.  I listened to Kempe's D&T on the way home tonight, and thought it was extremely powerful.   It's always been my favorite Strauss piece, I love how he does so much with such an small musical motif, reminds me of Beethoven in a way..
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 12, 2019, 02:13:34 PM

"Gabrieli and His Era" - August Wenzinger

reminding me that I'm still hoping to find somewhere a comprehensive list of Grand Prix du Disque winners

Strangely impossible to do it seems. I spent some time searching a few years ago.

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 1: Underwhelming and light reading of this masterpiece. I like this work heavy and with plenty of drama, and I didn't feel those things. The woodwinds sounded very nice, that was its strong point.

Now something totally different. Some harpsichord suites by Georg Böhm. This is relaxing music, to delight the ear.

André

This is the third time this week. Both works (symphonies 1 and 4) are fascinating. The first reminds me of early Langgaard without the latter's prolixity - maybe I should say without the straussian effusions.  The fourth is a much more personal, original piece, although Nielsen looms large in the second half of the slow movement and finale. I guess it's the air they breathe up there in Denmark... The english horn solo in IV-4 calls to mind Tristan und Isolde without ever sounding wagnerian. Then there's the bachian angularity to the solo cello later on in the finale. IOW there are plenty of connections - or lines of convergence - but no imitation, no mimicry, no echoing. I'm impressed, really impressed.

Ken B

R Strauss
Alpensymphonie
Liège, Bartholmée, live

JBS

A nice program of Elizabethan tunes linked in one way or another to Shakespeare and his plays
[asin]B07TLPBFVZ[/asin]

Followed by the second CD of this

Listened to the first CD the other night [Opp. 6 through 41], and it hit me ad music that was pretty, but not more. Either I am in a different mood, or Feltsman's approach changed in the later works (or maybe it's the music itsrlf is somewhat different), but this half of the collection [Opp. 50 through 68] seems to have more emotional heft.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SymphonicAddict

Another British 1st Symphony. This is one of the best performances of this work known by me: majestic, broad, full-blooded, but even so, I'm not utterly convinced by this symphony. The outer movements are great with no hesitation (mostly the 4th), but I do struggle with the inner ones. The slow movement seems to reach certain poignant feel to it but it wanders most of the time. The 2nd movement doesn't tell me much either. A fruitful listen nevertheless.

JBS

Quote from: The new erato on September 12, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
Do the Metamorphosen. Please. It's the greatest thing he ever did.
Yes, sort of. [There's the last act of Rosenkavalier to compete.] I don't think I have ever heard a bad recording of that work.
TD
More Feltsman, this time from the Sony "Complete Columbia Album Collection" set

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

I'm happy to see that normality has been restored on the forum.  :)

Morning listening:

[asin]B00004GLLX[/asin]
Such a nice lute recital!
It would be perfect introductory recording for those unfamiliar with lute music.

Q

SimonNZ

^I remember that album being lovely.

earlier:

Fascinating document, but sounds like a pretty good bootleg made by someone with a high end tape deck off to one side of the middle row.

now:

Double Concertos By Bach's Sons - Gustav Leonhardt

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 12, 2019, 09:56:11 PM
I'm happy to see that normality has been restored on the forum.  :)

Morning listening:

[asin]B00004GLLX[/asin]
Such a nice lute recital!
It would be perfect introductory recording for those unfamiliar with lute music.

Q

Welcome Que, nice to see you back again.
The disc you are playing, I remember clearly that I bought it when it was released. Listening to it made me very happy. And from there started my journey with the lute. Must have over 300 lute recordings by now.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 12, 2019, 04:18:08 PM

Symphony No. 1: Underwhelming and light reading of this masterpiece. I like this work heavy and with plenty of drama, and I didn't feel those things. The woodwinds sounded very nice, that was its strong point.

Now something totally different. Some harpsichord suites by Georg Böhm. This is relaxing music, to delight the ear.
Yes, it's a pity about that Walton performance Cesar, especially as the CD has the best cover art of all! I listened to the Lille performance recently and enjoyed it a bit more than before.

Thread duty:

Morning listening.
Myaskovsky Violin Concerto:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2019, 11:49:19 AM
Yes, will return to it, as well.

Now:

RVW
Flos campi
Oboe Concerto in a minor
Symphony # 5 in d minor
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Chorus and Orchestra & al.
Handley

A great programme of works and vg performances as far as I recall.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on September 12, 2019, 01:46:25 PM
Current listening:

Wiren is generally underrated.

+1
I really enjoyed that CD. I hope that they record Symphony 4 as well. I agree that Wiren is underrated. The musicologist Robert Layton (whom I admire) going on and on about Wiren's symphonies being 'short-breathed' (whatever that means) did nothing to help Wiren's cause as did his comments about 'rampant self-pity' in the case of Allan Pettersson.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on September 12, 2019, 10:35:09 PM
Welcome Que, nice to see you back again.
The disc you are playing, I remember clearly that I bought it when it was released. Listening to it made me very happy. And from there started my journey with the lute. Must have over 300 lute recordings by now.

Wow!  :D Though I have a nice collection myself, in which I try to cover a lot of different repertoire, can't be more than a few dozen. But that's a wild guess - I don't keep a record of my collection.

Q