What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Irons on September 15, 2019, 11:32:25 PM
Most impressed with the Belcea recordings of the Britten quartets.
I can imagine! (Haven't heard it yet). Do you have the older CD or the newer DVD version?

North Star

Villa-Lobos
Amazonas (1917)
Sonia Rubinsky

[asin]B0031O7V3Q[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on September 16, 2019, 06:07:48 AM
Nielsen: Symphony No 3 Sinfonia espansiva - Leonard Bernstein conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra & soloists
One of the best performances of the Espansiva, IMHO.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

some guy

Stockhausen's Pole, performed by my good friend Camilla Hoitenga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj5Dd1QZsYM

It's fun. Karlheinz really loved him some short waves.

Irons

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 16, 2019, 08:08:47 AM
I can imagine! (Haven't heard it yet). Do you have the older CD or the newer DVD version?

All three plus Three Divertimenti on CD. I noticed the personnel had changed for the CD you featured. For the Britten (CD) set Belcea are made up by Corina Belcea, Laura Samual, Krzysztof Chorzelski and Alasdair Tait.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

The new erato

First listen to this particular recording since my LPs went out of fashion:

All the devastating intensity I remember and which the other two versions I own cannot reproduce. Goosebumps galore, the only other concerto I know that are so intense and gutwrenching may be Ivashkin's performance of Schnittke's cello Concerto no 2 on Chandos.

And yeah, the Barefoot songs are very fine and give an intsight to some of Petterssons music alike to what Mahler's early songs does to his.

Maestro267

Bliss: Piano Concerto
Donohoe (piano)/Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Lloyd-Jones

While listening to Bax's 7th Symphony earlier today, I discovered that it was premiered alongside this concerto and Vaughan Williams' Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus, at Carnegie Hall in 1939.

Karl Henning

Skryabin
Mazurkas & Valses
Lettberg
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

JOHANNES BRAHMS
Ein deutsches Requiem

Carolyn Sampson, soprano
André Morsch, baritone

Cappella Amsterdam
Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century
Daniel Reuss, conductor

Johannes Brahms' consolatory Ein deutsches Requiem receives a fresh and considered interpretation from Daniel Reuss and the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century. This renowned orchestra took the decision – following the death, some years back, of Frans Brüggen – to retain its founder's dynamic process of alternating concert tours with recordings. And dispensing with the need for having a principal conductor, the orchestra now works with a range of musicians according to the repertoire being performed.

Such a conductor is Daniel Reuss, who is also the artistic director of the Cappella Amsterdam, the choir which has frequently been appearing alongside the orchestra in recent times. A well-received reading of the Beethoven Missa Solemnis involving Reuss and the orchestra was issued by Glossa in 2017 and these musical forces have now turned their attention to Johannes Brahms' pillar of religious music.

Taped in the Rotterdam De Doelen concert hall this new recording involves Carolyn Sampson (soprano) and André Morsch (baritone) as its two soloists, in a version which attempts, as far as it is possible, to get close – in terms of tonal colours, interpretation and tempi – to Brahms' original intentions. This extraordinary work, here maintaining a sweeping and moving spirit for some 70 minutes, contains texts from Martin Luther's German translation of the Bible and, it is thought, was inspired by the loss of both the composer's mother and also that of Robert Schumann.

Daverz

Today's interesting music:

Jurovski (or Jurowski): Symphony No. 5

[asin] B00UCOK09K[/asin]

This got two reviews in Fanfare, oddly by two of my least liked critics, Huntley Dent (come on, that's not a real name) and Lynne Rene Bailley.  Dent's review is a hatchet job.  He can't get over the political context.  Bailley is quite positive. 

I really enjoyed this work.  Yes, the start and end are bombastic, but it's a very fun kind of bombastic.  Good tunes and orchestration; it's quite Hollywood sounding, but not too saccharine, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.  I don't hear anything not to like.

Tippett: Symphony No. 1 - Colin Davis/LSO

I've long been a fan of Tippett's Symphony No. 2.  For some reason I just got around to No. 1, and it's a delightfully exuberant and youthful sounding work.  Wikipedia tells  that "Tippett began to think about writing a symphony while in prison in 1943"!

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on September 16, 2019, 10:12:37 AM
First listen to this particular recording since my LPs went out of fashion:

All the devastating intensity I remember and which the other two versions I own cannot reproduce. Goosebumps galore, the only other concerto I know that are so intense and gutwrenching may be Ivashkin's performance of Schnittke's cello Concerto no 2 on Chandos.

And yeah, the Barefoot songs are very fine and give an intsight to some of Petterssons music alike to what Mahler's early songs does to his.
The greatest performance of VC No.2 in my view.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

Stunning playing in this disc of virtuosic piano transcriptions.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on September 16, 2019, 01:51:58 PM
Today's interesting music:

Jurovski (or Jurowski): Symphony No. 5

[asin] B00UCOK09K[/asin]

This got two reviews in Fanfare, oddly by two of my least liked critics, Huntley Dent (come on, that's not a real name) and Lynne Rene Bailley.  Dent's review is a hatchet job.  He can't get over the political context.  Bailley is quite positive. 

I really enjoyed this work.  Yes, the start and end are bombastic, but it's a very fun kind of bombastic.  Good tunes and orchestration; it's quite Hollywood sounding, but not too saccharine, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.  I don't hear anything not to like.

Tippett: Symphony No. 1 - Colin Davis/LSO

I've long been a fan of Tippett's Symphony No. 2.  For some reason I just got around to No. 1, and it's a delightfully exuberant and youthful sounding work.  Wikipedia tells  that "Tippett began to think about writing a symphony while in prison in 1943"!
I really enjoyed that Jurowski symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 16, 2019, 11:03:54 AM
Bliss: Piano Concerto
Donohoe (piano)/Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Lloyd-Jones

While listening to Bax's 7th Symphony earlier today, I discovered that it was premiered alongside this concerto and Vaughan Williams' Five Variants on Dives and Lazarus, at Carnegie Hall in 1939.
Very interesting - three great works in my opinion - what a programme!

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2019, 12:35:45 PM
Skryabin
Mazurkas & Valses
Lettberg

Listening to this as well, it's been years since I've played any of this splendid set.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on September 16, 2019, 01:36:17 PM

JOHANNES BRAHMS
Ein deutsches Requiem

Carolyn Sampson, soprano
André Morsch, baritone

Cappella Amsterdam
Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century
Daniel Reuss, conductor

Johannes Brahms' consolatory Ein deutsches Requiem receives a fresh and considered interpretation from Daniel Reuss and the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century. This renowned orchestra took the decision – following the death, some years back, of Frans Brüggen – to retain its founder's dynamic process of alternating concert tours with recordings. And dispensing with the need for having a principal conductor, the orchestra now works with a range of musicians according to the repertoire being performed.

Such a conductor is Daniel Reuss, who is also the artistic director of the Cappella Amsterdam, the choir which has frequently been appearing alongside the orchestra in recent times. A well-received reading of the Beethoven Missa Solemnis involving Reuss and the orchestra was issued by Glossa in 2017 and these musical forces have now turned their attention to Johannes Brahms' pillar of religious music.

Taped in the Rotterdam De Doelen concert hall this new recording involves Carolyn Sampson (soprano) and André Morsch (baritone) as its two soloists, in a version which attempts, as far as it is possible, to get close – in terms of tonal colours, interpretation and tempi – to Brahms' original intentions. This extraordinary work, here maintaining a sweeping and moving spirit for some 70 minutes, contains texts from Martin Luther's German translation of the Bible and, it is thought, was inspired by the loss of both the composer's mother and also that of Robert Schumann.

What a curious work for the "Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century"...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

TD
Liszt played by Vladimir Feltsman
Sonnet in B minor
Three Sonnets of Petrarch
St. Francis Preaches to the Birds

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2019, 06:16:02 PM
What a curious work for the "Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century"...

Well, the parallelicly named Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment has done Chopin Concertos, Schubert Masses, Mendelssohn, and even Mahler (Totenfeier, Wayfarer Songs).

[I do think I invented a word there.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 16, 2019, 06:48:08 PM
Well, the parallelicly named Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment has done Chopin Concertos, Schubert Masses, Mendelssohn, and even Mahler (Totenfeier, Wayfarer Songs).

[I do think I invented a word there.]

And, why not? Your invention, I mean.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA