Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 12292073 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #142100 on: September 17, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
Second listen

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142101 on: September 17, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
CD 1 (of 3). Fantastic in every aspect.

Your enthusiasm for this set, and Harry's, made me put this on the wishlist!  :)

Q
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:55:29 PM by Que »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142102 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »
Second listen

A absolutely adore Froberger, but can't deal with Vartolo.....

Q

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142103 on: September 17, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
Morning listening:

Q

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #142104 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
Your enthusiasm for this set, and Harry's, made me put this on this wishlist!  :)

Q
It's a winner! Wonderful music, which was previously unfamiliar to me, virtuoso playing, and crystal clear/realistic sound.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #142105 on: September 17, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
CD 1 (of 3). Fantastic in every aspect.

Wow, I am happy you like it, I have been raving about this set for quite a while!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #142106 on: September 17, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »

Never heard of Ernst (1814-1865) before, but his music appears to have been recorded rather extensively. This CPO production is a generously filled 2 disc set currently selling for a song at JPC.

Virtuoso stuff with a fine ear for brilliant sonorities and caressing melodies. A huge fan of Paganini, Ernst could play his works by ear after attending a concert by the master. He was also a renowned violist, playing Harold in Italy under Berlioz in Brussels, Vienna, St-Petersburg and London. He was a member of the Beethoven Quartet Society of London, playing the viola with Wieniawski, Joachim (violins) and Piatti (cello). He championed Beethoven’s late quartets when they had not yet gained wide currency. Intimate with Wieniawski, Berlioz, Mendelssohn and regarded by Joseph Joachim as the greatest violinist of his era, his musical partners included Liszt, Chopin and Clara Schumann. He traveled Europe giving concerts before retiring due to illness.

I bought this set some years ago, and I was as enthusiastic about it as you are. If memory serves me right, I wrote quite an extensive review on my blog in those days.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142107 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:54 PM »

I bought this set some years ago, and I was as enthusiastic about it as you are. If memory serves me right, I wrote quite an extensive review on my blog in those days.

I wondered about your blog, I couldn't find it anymore. Is it gone?

Q

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #142108 on: September 17, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »
I wondered about your blog, I couldn't find it anymore. Is it gone?

Q

Even worse, the maker of this site decided to stop and I could not migrate to another place without substantial costs. So that was the end of the exercise.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #142109 on: September 17, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »

Never heard of Ernst (1814-1865) before, but his music appears to have been recorded rather extensively. This CPO production is a generously filled 2 disc set currently selling for a song at JPC.

Virtuoso stuff with a fine ear for brilliant sonorities and caressing melodies. A huge fan of Paganini, Ernst could play his works by ear after attending a concert by the master. He was also a renowned violist, playing Harold in Italy under Berlioz in Brussels, Vienna, St-Petersburg and London. He was a member of the Beethoven Quartet Society of London, playing the viola with Wieniawski, Joachim (violins) and Piatti (cello). He championed Beethoven’s late quartets when they had not yet gained wide currency. Intimate with Wieniawski, Berlioz, Mendelssohn and regarded by Joseph Joachim as the greatest violinist of his era, his musical partners included Liszt, Chopin and Clara Schumann. He traveled Europe giving concerts before retiring due to illness.

Amazing CV.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #142110 on: September 17, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
Bach

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #142111 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
CD VIII. ( Second Rerun)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #142112 on: September 17, 2019, 11:47:11 PM »
There's a live Karajan recording from Moscow that's supposed to be even betterest!  I haven not encountered it.

EDIT: I should have looked on youtube.  Everything is on youtube:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E2XI8SoJito" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E2XI8SoJito</a>

Yes, I read about that one. Might be worth listening to.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #142113 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:04 AM »

Herreweghe's 3rd recording of the B Minor Mass and, by all accounts, his best. Both singing and playing are superb and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #142114 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:34 AM »
Rerun

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #142115 on: September 18, 2019, 01:25:06 AM »
Sibelius, 2 pieces for violin and piano, op.2 (both original and revised versions)

A couple more of my recent purchases arrived today, and this time I got exactly what I expected (in this case from eBay): a brand new CD in perfect condition.

And it already sounds fabulous. Truly lovely violin sound.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:27:06 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #142116 on: September 18, 2019, 01:42:00 AM »
Vaughan Williams - more songs from the new album The Song of Love - German and French songs, sung by Roderick Williams baritone with William Vann piano.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #142117 on: September 18, 2019, 02:36:07 AM »

There is a splendid series of his complete works performed by Sherban Lupu and Ian Hobson on Toccata Classics, seven discs in total IIRC. Essential for fans of Romantic violin music --- not sure if you are one, though.  :)
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #142118 on: September 18, 2019, 02:38:20 AM »
Rerun

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #142119 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »
Bach