What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 17, 2019, 03:02:48 PM
CD 1 (of 3). Fantastic in every aspect.

Wow, I am happy you like it, I have been raving about this set for quite a while!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: André on September 17, 2019, 04:31:44 PM

Never heard of Ernst (1814-1865) before, but his music appears to have been recorded rather extensively. This CPO production is a generously filled 2 disc set currently selling for a song at JPC.

Virtuoso stuff with a fine ear for brilliant sonorities and caressing melodies. A huge fan of Paganini, Ernst could play his works by ear after attending a concert by the master. He was also a renowned violist, playing Harold in Italy under Berlioz in Brussels, Vienna, St-Petersburg and London. He was a member of the Beethoven Quartet Society of London, playing the viola with Wieniawski, Joachim (violins) and Piatti (cello). He championed Beethoven's late quartets when they had not yet gained wide currency. Intimate with Wieniawski, Berlioz, Mendelssohn and regarded by Joseph Joachim as the greatest violinist of his era, his musical partners included Liszt, Chopin and Clara Schumann. He traveled Europe giving concerts before retiring due to illness.

I bought this set some years ago, and I was as enthusiastic about it as you are. If memory serves me right, I wrote quite an extensive review on my blog in those days.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on September 17, 2019, 10:27:58 PM

I bought this set some years ago, and I was as enthusiastic about it as you are. If memory serves me right, I wrote quite an extensive review on my blog in those days.

I wondered about your blog, I couldn't find it anymore. Is it gone?

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 17, 2019, 10:29:54 PM
I wondered about your blog, I couldn't find it anymore. Is it gone?

Q

Even worse, the maker of this site decided to stop and I could not migrate to another place without substantial costs. So that was the end of the exercise.

Irons

Never heard of Ernst (1814-1865) before, but his music appears to have been recorded rather extensively. This CPO production is a generously filled 2 disc set currently selling for a song at JPC.

Virtuoso stuff with a fine ear for brilliant sonorities and caressing melodies. A huge fan of Paganini, Ernst could play his works by ear after attending a concert by the master. He was also a renowned violist, playing Harold in Italy under Berlioz in Brussels, Vienna, St-Petersburg and London. He was a member of the Beethoven Quartet Society of London, playing the viola with Wieniawski, Joachim (violins) and Piatti (cello). He championed Beethoven's late quartets when they had not yet gained wide currency. Intimate with Wieniawski, Berlioz, Mendelssohn and regarded by Joseph Joachim as the greatest violinist of his era, his musical partners included Liszt, Chopin and Clara Schumann. He traveled Europe giving concerts before retiring due to illness.

Amazing CV.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

CD VIII. ( Second Rerun)

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Daverz on September 17, 2019, 03:32:54 PM
There's a live Karajan recording from Moscow that's supposed to be even betterest!  I haven not encountered it.

EDIT: I should have looked on youtube.  Everything is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/E2XI8SoJito

Yes, I read about that one. Might be worth listening to.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Tsaraslondon

Herreweghe's 3rd recording of the B Minor Mass and, by all accounts, his best. Both singing and playing are superb and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this.

Harry

Madiel

Sibelius, 2 pieces for violin and piano, op.2 (both original and revised versions)

A couple more of my recent purchases arrived today, and this time I got exactly what I expected (in this case from eBay): a brand new CD in perfect condition.

And it already sounds fabulous. Truly lovely violin sound.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Vaughan Williams - more songs from the new album The Song of Love - German and French songs, sung by Roderick Williams baritone with William Vann piano.

Florestan

There is a splendid series of his complete works performed by Sherban Lupu and Ian Hobson on Toccata Classics, seven discs in total IIRC. Essential for fans of Romantic violin music --- not sure if you are one, though.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Florestan

First listen

I already knew that Myslivecek was among the most lyrically inclined and melodically gifted Classical-era composers and this glorious disc is a superb display of precisely those qualities. Two concertos, six "easy divertimentos" (which could be very well called preludes) and six two-movement "easy sonatas" will make you dreamy, melancholy or nostalgic in the slow movements and ebulliently tap your foot in the fast ones. Too bad this is all he wrote for keyboard. Top notch performances and SOTA sound, this is a winner.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Tsaraslondon

Fabulous Scriabin and Prokoviev. The Debussy is wonderfully played too, but lacks a little in atmosphere for my taste. Gramophone magazine's reviewer called it excessively literal and I do see what he was driving at. Nevertheless this is tremendous disc and both the Scriabin and Prokoviev might well be considered benchmarks.

Madiel

The Lesser Known Nielsen, Volume 2

Either Peder Severin has toned himself down just a fraction, or my tolerance for his voice has increased just a fraction.

Elisabeth Rehling has occasional pitch problems.

I'm obviously not wildly enthused about this series, it's just that it's by far the most effective way to get at least some idea of Nielsen's song output. Which is exactly the kind of thing I use streaming services for.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 18, 2019, 05:00:06 AM

Fabulous Scriabin and Prokoviev. The Debussy is wonderfully played too, but lacks a little in atmosphere for my taste. Gramophone magazine's reviewer called it excessively literal and I do see what he was driving at. Nevertheless this is tremendous disc and both the Scriabin and Prokoviev might well be considered benchmarks.

I really love the Prokofiev recording,I listened quite recently to all his recordings in this attractive box.