Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ChopinBroccoli

"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

SymphonicAddict

Wife and husband's quartets 2 and 10 respectively: The Alwyn En Voyage is like a portrait of seascapes with birds. Impressionistic, atmospheric, lovely music but it's not a strong work IMO. BTW, what about the quartets 4-9? It seems there is no any recording of them yet. On the other hand, the Carwithen is much more substantial and profound. It's in 2 movements: the 1st one an expressive slow movement of melancholy mood, whilst the 2nd has more drive and warmth, though it still possesses a little of that pensive personality. It succeeded my expectations. It should be better known.

Ken B

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on September 20, 2019, 01:44:12 PM

Might be the worst La Mer and Faun I've ever heard at least from a notable orchestra and conductor... tempo is sloth-like, careless playing (this in particular is a recurring theme with Gergiev... it didn't matter in his Rite because his approach was so compellingly savage and violent that the 200 mistakes didn't really matter, they were swept away by the momentum ... well it matters here) ... There's no reason for this to exist... both pieces have been given probably a dozen or more great recordings and two dozen more decent ones...
"Sloth like and careless" makes it sound like Gergiev has penetrated to the heart of La Mer and unleashed its deepest secrets.

$:) :laugh:

TD Haydn op 33, Angeles Quartet.

Kontrapunctus

André

Quote from: Ken B on September 20, 2019, 03:30:58 PM
"Sloth like and careless" makes it sound like Gergiev has penetrated to the heart of La Mer and unleashed its deepest secrets.

Deep, deep, deep down You must be a closet La Mer admirer  :D.

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: Ken B on September 20, 2019, 03:30:58 PM

I'm not sure how you say "The Swamp" in French  :)

Or for that matter Prelude to Prelude to Prelude of Afternoon of a Faun (which sums up the sludge-like tempo of this version)
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Kontrapunctus

André

Disc 2 opens with the 14 Pensées fugitives, short vignettes full of character and refinement. Not really bravura pieces, they call on the player's acumen and the listener's sensitivity. Real bravura is on display in the charming Pré aux Clercs Grand Duo. High art that doesn't take itself seriously. Warmly recommended.

SimonNZ

Madiel

Brahms op.118, probably my favourite of the late piano opuses but who would do without any of them?

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 20, 2019, 10:23:53 AM
Dvořák
Symphony # 7 in d minor
The Wood Dove
RCO
Harnoncourt

By coincidence rather than design (I had already planned to listen to it today), following in your footsteps with the same recording of The Wild Dove.

That's what my edition in a box set calls it, at least.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

j winter

Beethoven 7 & 8, Norrington/Stuttgart.  Grabbed this out of the bargain bin earlier this week, giving it a first spin.  I'm enjoying the hybrid sound here, with the fiery period brass and modern (if mostly vibrato-less) strings.  Pacing is brisk but not too fast, it flows quickly without losing the elwgance of it. 

Followed it up with a big ole dose of Kodaly.... some very nice pieces I need to visit more often.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Madiel

Dvorak, A Hero's Song. Possibly a first listen to this work, which tends to treated as separate from the other symphonic poems.

Mandryka

I think there are only two recordings with lots of songs by Ockeghem, this and the Davies brothers. Katelijine van Laethem has a characterful timbre, and her manner of projecting is relaxed.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B00WAZHSP8[/asin]
Q

Florestan

Quote from: Que on September 20, 2019, 01:34:02 PM
If you would discount religious and elitist music, there wouldn't be much be much pre-20th c. music left.  8)

Music written for churches, popes, kings, princes, dukes and sofort...?  More please.... :D

Q

My sentiments exactly, thank you. And I hasten to add, music written for bourgeois salons.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2019, 09:50:30 PM

I think there are only two recordings with lots of songs by Ockeghem, this and the Davies brothers. Katelijine van Laethem has a characterful timbre, and her manner of projecting is relaxed.

Looks interesting!  :) 
Seems to be a older Ricercar recording that has never been reissued, pity...

Q

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy