Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 12536409 times)

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #142420 on: September 22, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »
As most of my new Shostakovich has arrived...

Scherzo in F sharp minor, op.1

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #142421 on: September 22, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
Bah! Amazon refuses to show anything other the original Koch Schwann issues. Do either of you have a listing for this DG issue? I am not keen on paying approximately $20 for a used CD sight unseen...

According to the booklet of the DG release all the arrangements are made by Fritz Stiedry, not Hans Zender.

The contrapuncti are played in the sequence of the original printed score, except that the canons are interspersed between the contrapuncti and played by the two pianists, who also play the three-part mirror fugue. All the other contrapuncti, the four-part mirror fugue and the unfinished fugue are played by the symphony orchestra.

If you consider the AoF a symphonic work - and as such it is well played - , this may well be for you, but it is not my cup of tea.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #142422 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »
CD VIII.

Partitas from Secondary Sources (III)

My admiration for Stella's interpretation grows with each hearing. Plus the fact that he is using beautiful instruments, and is given a fine recording.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #142423 on: September 22, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »

Recorded in 1985 and issued by Koch Schwann, later licensed to DGG. This is the orchestral arrangement by Fritz Stiedry (1883-1969), a protégé of Gustav Mahler. Participated in the premieres of Schonberg’s Die Glückliche Hand. Director of the Berlin Opera, emigrated to the USSR in 1933, where he premiered Shostakovich’s first piano concerto with the composer as soloist. Emigrated to the US, where his career at the Lyric Opera and the Met lasted from 1940 to 1958. The orchestra is treated very transparently, indeed the results are luminous. 6 of the 20 canons are played by a keyboard duo. I haven’t been able to find if this was part of Stiedry’s original concept or if it was that of the conductor Hans Zender, a conductor usually heard in modern music (Rihm, Dallapiccola, Webern, Feldman and his own compositions).

I found the result very satisfying. I am usually bored before the halfway mark in this work, but not here.

When I heard it I was a bit disappointed because, given Zender's reputation for new music, I was hoping for something more adventurous in the orchestration. Where's the Klangfarbenmelodie? The piano pieces are nicely done though.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:57:06 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #142424 on: September 23, 2019, 12:49:17 AM »
I just worked out that Shostakovich was 13 years old when he wrote op.1. This is terrifying.

Moving on to op.3, written at the ripe old age of 15.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #142425 on: September 23, 2019, 01:25:42 AM »

Disc 6, the last. Say's moaning & groaning was quite tolerable on the other 5 but on this one it's really annoying. Nevertheless, this is an excellent set.
"Melody is the essence of music." --- Mozart

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #142426 on: September 23, 2019, 02:01:19 AM »
Bach

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #142427 on: September 23, 2019, 03:16:51 AM »
According to the booklet of the DG release all the arrangements are made by Fritz Stiedry, not Hans Zender.

The contrapuncti are played in the sequence of the original printed score, except that the canons are interspersed between the contrapuncti and played by the two pianists, who also play the three-part mirror fugue. All the other contrapuncti, the four-part mirror fugue and the unfinished fugue are played by the symphony orchestra.

If you consider the AoF a symphonic work - and as such it is well played - , this may well be for you, but it is not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the info, Premont, I couldn’t figure how the orchestra/keyboard setup had come into being. The DGG issue is a super budget one, with only a paragraph of notes, in German only. And it didn’t clear up the issue.

Bought it on JPC for a couple of € if memory serves.

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #142428 on: September 23, 2019, 03:59:20 AM »
Volume 3 of "The Lesser Known Nielsen"

A more appealing singer than on the first 2 volumes, so that's a plus. Which then leaves you with the fact that a great number of these songs were designed more for popular singing than for listening. There are a few from incidental music for plays, and the rest are from collections of "folk-like" melodies or songbooks intended for school use (some are still mislabelled). They are simple and strophic.

I shall press on to listen volumes 4 and 5 but I doubt they are going to be revelatory.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:03:21 AM by Madiel »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #142429 on: September 23, 2019, 04:17:38 AM »
Bliss: Miracle in the Gorbals
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden conducted by Constant Lambert (1946):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #142430 on: September 23, 2019, 04:32:14 AM »
Purcell