What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Disc 6, the last. Say's moaning & groaning was quite tolerable on the other 5 but on this one it's really annoying. Nevertheless, this is an excellent set.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 23, 2019, 12:12:15 AM
According to the booklet of the DG release all the arrangements are made by Fritz Stiedry, not Hans Zender.

The contrapuncti are played in the sequence of the original printed score, except that the canons are interspersed between the contrapuncti and played by the two pianists, who also play the three-part mirror fugue. All the other contrapuncti, the four-part mirror fugue and the unfinished fugue are played by the symphony orchestra.

If you consider the AoF a symphonic work - and as such it is well played - , this may well be for you, but it is not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the info, Premont, I couldn't figure how the orchestra/keyboard setup had come into being. The DGG issue is a super budget one, with only a paragraph of notes, in German only. And it didn't clear up the issue.

Bought it on JPC for a couple of € if memory serves.

Madiel

Volume 3 of "The Lesser Known Nielsen"

A more appealing singer than on the first 2 volumes, so that's a plus. Which then leaves you with the fact that a great number of these songs were designed more for popular singing than for listening. There are a few from incidental music for plays, and the rest are from collections of "folk-like" melodies or songbooks intended for school use (some are still mislabelled). They are simple and strophic.

I shall press on to listen volumes 4 and 5 but I doubt they are going to be revelatory.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Bliss: Miracle in the Gorbals
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden conducted by Constant Lambert (1946):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).