What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2014, 06:11:42 AM
Yes, I think to somehow downplay the sometimes vulgar nature of this music would be to entirely miss the point. Also, I seem to prefer Lenny's earlier recordings to his older ones.
Yes. His early ones are less extreme.  >:D

I prefer his earlier ones too. There is more life and discipline. Lenny is rarely sloppy and he pays attention to details, even when he's driving hard. The two big boxes are treasure troves. I will get the third too.

TD, Prokkers, Al from Nevsky, Masur.
A much admired recording but I am not wild about it. It is live with a couple sloppy bits, slightly blatty brass.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on December 07, 2014, 07:42:08 AM
TD, Prokkers, Al from Nevsky, Masur.
A much admired recording but I am not wild about it. It is live with a couple sloppy bits, slightly blatty brass.
'Nevsky' means from Neva..  ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on December 07, 2014, 07:42:08 AM
Yes. His early ones are less extreme.  >:D

I prefer his earlier ones too. There is more life and discipline. Lenny is rarely sloppy and he pays attention to details, even when he's driving hard. The two big boxes are treasure troves. I will get the third too.

I agree about his earlier performances being more 'disciplined' although I wouldn't really use that word per se, I think these earlier performances are just more immediate and direct in their emotional delivery. It's like he knew exactly how to get the kind of sound he wanted and didn't beat around the bush too much in this directness.

jlaurson

Quote from: James on December 07, 2014, 08:10:43 AM
Playing Bach on the guitar musically requires super human technique/muscianship. How is that recording?

I don't know about super-human... but it's very well recorded, it's very well played, and it's not boring at all. Which, when it comes to the guitar, is quite something for me. Certainly one of the more successful transcriptions of the GVs that I've heard in a while.

Wanderer

.[asin]B00M97DLQM[/asin][asin]B00M3J2S6A[/asin]

Artem

Started this morning with these 2 cds. Haydn's Op. 77 No. 1 was especially invigorating.

[asin]B000026D5I[/asin][asin]B000005GL2[/asin]

SonicMan46

Papa Haydn for the weekend - Dave :)

North Star

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 07, 2014, 10:20:11 AM
Papa for the weekend - Dave :)
Watch out, Dave you don't want Gurn to see that.  :laugh:

Thread duty

Prokofiev
Piano Sonatas nos. 6, 7 & 8
Raekallio
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

First listen to this:

[asin]B002ZFCK06[/asin]

Obradovic

Quote from: The new erato on December 07, 2014, 10:48:54 AM
First listen to this:

[asin]B002ZFCK06[/asin]

My copy of this SACD is... in mono!! Your's is OK? By the way, Glossa's e-mail address (info@glossamusic.com) isn't working, all mails I have sent regarding this problem returned as undelivered!

Moonfish

Chopin: Waltzes             Pires

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

jfdrex

Dvorak Symphony No. 5.  Neemi Jarvi conducting the (now Royal) Scottish National Orchestra.

[asin]B000000AG4[/asin]

Needless to say, Jarvi isn't the most subtle interpreter.  But he and the orchestra create a spontaneous-sounding performance full of exuberance and joy, which in my book counts for a lot in Dvorak.  And while I'm normally not a big fan of Chandos's reverberant sonics, it works here, at one with Jarvi's full-blooded approach to the music.

Wanderer

.[asin]B004RCMMJ4[/asin][asin]B0064TMZKY[/asin]

Impressive pianism from one of the most interesting exponents of the younger generation.

Todd

Kraus and Goldberg Mozart violin sonata recordings from the 30s.  Mighty fine.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on December 07, 2014, 11:41:01 AM
Impressive pianism from one of the most interesting exponents of the younger generation.
Joseph Moog really is terrific. There is a live album where he performs pieces by Joseph Jongen and Max Reger that's truly eye-opening, and I also enjoy his new Tchaikovsky/Scharwenka recital.

not edward

Quote from: EigenUser on December 07, 2014, 03:21:47 AM
Recording noted. I need help with Chronochromie :(. I feel left out for not liking/understanding it, for some reason.

I've only heard the Boulez. What is your opinion of that one?
Generally speaking, I don't tend to find Boulez a first choice in Messiaen: I'd pick Baudo over him in Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum and Crossley/Salonen in Oiseaux exotiques and Couleurs de la cite celeste. (I need to revisit the Donohoe/de Leeuw set of wind and piano works, though.)

In this particular work, Boulez has better playing overall, but Dorati's playing has all the intangibles in its favour. (Disclaimer: Dorati was my first experience of the work, so I may be biased in its favour.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Moonfish

Haydn: Piano Sonatas Nos 31, 32, 53, 59          Lili Kraus

A second spin for Kraus's Haydn. Great recording!

[asin] B00LLHG94W[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

HIPster

Monteverdi Vespers
[asin]B001DTAUYI[/asin]
Gorgeous SACD sound.  Intimate performance, sung OVPP.  Sparse instrumentation too.

Perfect soundtrack for my Sunday NFL binge.   8)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

Enescu, Symphonies 1,2 Foster
Prokkers, Semyon Kotko, Jarvi