Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on February 16, 2013, 05:23:57 AM
Not a "need to run" scenario, but a decent double time is in order. ;)

Amazon DE lists one in stock. Grabbed it.

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2013, 05:33:16 AM
Amazon DE lists one in stock. Grabbed it.

Sarge

Cool.  It will be fun to compare notes back at the "Haus".
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2013, 05:31:15 AM
Quote from: Brian on February 16, 2013, 05:27:34 AM
What about BWV 565 arranged for graphing calculator orchestra?

Or the kazoo version of the Second Brandenburg.

Sarge

I have them both (the former on vinyl), and they're very cool!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

CD 4 from this set. A very recommendable set.
Works for Organ.

Karl Henning

Last night (while the "old" thread was probably yet active, actually):

Дмитри Дмитриевич [ Dmitri Dmitriyevich (Shostakovich) ]
Симфония № 4 c-moll, соч. 43 [ Symphony № 4 in c minor, Opus 43 ]
USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra
Геннадий Николаевич [ Gennady Nikolayevich (Rozhdestvensky) ]

From the faux Chant Du Monde release:

Even apart from the falsifying audience noises which were introduced to make the 'new provenance' plausible, I found this recording something of a chore to listen through.  Might have to do with this audition following not long after revisiting Slava in this 'un:

The 're-touched historical' account suffered from (the inevitable) inferior recording; many places where the profile/texture of the piece is much too obscure (an experience only emphasized by just having listened to the splendidly recorded National Symphony whose playing, too, compares very much to their own advantage in this piece).

Well, and per this post back in June, I ought not to be surprised.

Could be time to listen to yet another Fourth or three . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on February 16, 2013, 12:06:41 AM
Ah, you got the last installment! :)

Of course I knew it was going to happen, but the sight of the simultaneously issued neat, slim and cheap (well, if you buy it from jpc, at least) complete set did gave me an itch of dissatisfaction... :(

[asin]B008GAXUW6[/asin]

Hmmmm - well, I have just half of these Clementi works and I probably could get about $20 @ PREX for them - and if I bought the remaining ones, all would take up a LOT of room - a 'slim' box looks attractive and I would likely 'break even' in the trade - will add the box to my wish list - :)

Q - how about the liner notes in the box, i.e. present, abbreviated, or fairly substantial?  Thanks - Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on February 16, 2013, 05:57:42 AM
Or the kazoo version of the Second Brandenburg.

Sarge

I have them both (the former on vinyl), and they're very cool!

Bach is indestructible.

sarge

Brian

A very enjoyable baroque MusicWeb assignment - I'm especially impressed by Antonin Reichenauer and Christian Gottlieb Postel, of whom I'd never heard.

[asin]B0094BDOX6[/asin]

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 16, 2013, 06:50:08 AM
Bach is indestructible.

sarge

I don't know, we could get Ke$ha to record some of the cantatas!

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on February 16, 2013, 06:54:22 AM
I don't know, we could get Ke$ha to record some of the cantatas!

I don't know who or what Ke$ha is, but I wouldn't be surprised if recording Bach makes the music sound better. I might even gain some respect for him/her/it. There seems to be an irreducible core to Bach's music that survives almost any transformation.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on February 16, 2013, 07:11:33 AM
I don't know who or what Ke$ha is, but I wouldn't be surprised if recording Bach makes the music sound better. I might even gain some respect for him/her/it. There seems to be an irreducible core to Bach's music that survives almost any transformation.

I take no responsibility for your emotional state if you click this link. EDIT: You know what? I'm really glad there is someone in this world who doesn't know "what Ke$ha is", and I want to protect that. Please don't click it. Be blissfully unaware.

SonicMan46

Cras, Jean (1879-1932) - a career French naval officer eventually reaching the rank of Admiral, but also a composer of a wide variety of works (see a brief bio & a listing of his works HERE).  Timpani has made a project of recording his compositions, 9 CDs listed in one of the booklets, including his opera Polypheme.  These 2 discs are new arrivals - one recommended on the forum - I never had heard of this man in either major roles in his life?  Works on these offerings:

String Quartet & Piano Quintet (left) & String Trio & Harp Works, including Harp/Flute Quintet (right) - this is some beautiful chamber music - :)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

From this set CD 8, the last one.
I can safely say that this set is the best on the market if it comes to this composer, with Neeme Jarvi on his older Orfeo recordings as a close second. Recommended without hesitation.

Piano concerto No. 1 in F minor, opus 92.
Played by Alexander Romanovsky on the piano.

Reverie in D flat major for Horn and orchestra, opus 24.
Alexey Serov,  French Horn.

Concerto Ballata in C major for Cello and orchestra, opus 108.
Wen Sinn Yang, Cello.

Meditation in D major for Violin and orchestra, opus 32.
Rachel Barton Pine, Violin.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Harry on February 16, 2013, 03:16:24 AM
This composer is underrated most of the time. The Naxos recordings did much to get him on the forefront again. Well recorded and performed.

I agree, these recordings are beautifully played! Yes, that's a pity Tveitt's music is little known, it's absolutely enchanting.

Now:
Carlos Chavez
Sinfonia india

http://www.youtube.com/v/NElJfef1nZU
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Between the Slava recording and this, we really enjoy an abundance of tasty recordings:

Дмитри Дмитриевич [ Dmitri Dmitriyevich (Shostakovich) ]
Симфония № 4 c-moll, соч. 43 [ Symphony № 4 in c minor, Opus 43 ]
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bennie Haitink

[asin]B001BBSE6Y[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Rinaldo

Listening to the 7th

[asin]B0000041WV[/asin]
for the first time.

Leo K.

Brian

Quote from: Rinaldo on February 16, 2013, 10:09:19 AM
Listening to the 7th

[asin]B0000041WV[/asin]
for the first time.

First time with Kertesz, or first time hearing the symphony ever? Because I still remember the first time I heard the symphony... I was 14, I think, and it was so dark and malevolent that I ended up frightened. Nowadays it's one of my favorite works ever, of course, but I still occasionally hear a performance that makes me feel afraid!

Wakefield

Finished the first DVD (symphonies 1-4).

IMO, these excellent recordings are a sort of terminus ad quem. I mean this is the best possible compromise between a small orchestra playing on modern instruments and the requirements of a historically informed performance.

If these premises are accepted, so far this cycle seems unbeatable.

BTW, also its price is unbeatable on JPC:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Ludwig-van-Beethoven-1770-1827-Das-Beethoven-Projekt-Symphonien-Dokumentation/hnum/1639534

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on February 16, 2013, 07:11:33 AM

Yes, it has been a very, very popular idea from Romanticism onwards. Almost a dogma, I'd say: the eternal Bach.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire