What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 18, 2015, 05:19:44 AM
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13 in B flat minor ("Babi Yar")
Vinogradov (bass), Men's voices of Royal Liverpool Phil. Choir and Huddersfield Choral Society
Royal Liverpool PO/V. Petrenko

I do hope you enjoyed this performance!  :)

Marsch MacFiercesome

Quote from: The new erato on December 18, 2015, 06:14:26 AM
Don't we have enough smug people?

Not if smug means sexy. ;D

--

Hickox's treatment of the "Police Chase" cut from Alwyn's Odd Man Out Suite is absolutely 'heart-in-your-throat' thrilling.
Easier slayed than done. Is anyone shocked that I won?

listener

"Robin Hood' music
CURZON: Men of Trent March  GOODWIN: City of Lincoln March   NABARRO: Lincoln Green -  a Fantasia on Lincolnshire Folk Songs   COATES: From the Countryside - Suite  KORNGOLD: The Adventures of Robin Hood Suite
East of England Orch.,  Malcolm Nabarro, cond.
KORNGOLD: Violin Concerto    Balys DVARIONAS Violin Concerto,  Pezzo elegiaco (By the Lake)
Vadim Gluzman, violin   Residentie Orkest Den Haag    Neeme Järvi, cond.
Dvarionas (1904-72) is a Lithuanian composer in traditional style, the concerto is influenced by folk-themes.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Marsch MacFiercesome

Quote from: listener on December 18, 2015, 08:21:15 AM
"Robin Hood' music
CURZON: Men of Trent March  GOODWIN: City of Lincoln March   NABARRO: Lincoln Green -  a Fantasia on Lincolnshire Folk Songs   COATES: From the Countryside - Suite  KORNGOLD: The Adventures of Robin Hood Suite
East of England Orch.,  Malcolm Nabarro, cond.
KORNGOLD: Violin Concerto    Balys DVARIONAS Violin Concerto,  Pezzo elegiaco (By the Lake)
Vadim Gluzman, violin   Residentie Orkest Den Haag    Neeme Järvi, cond.
Dvarionas (1904-72) is a Lithuanian composer in traditional style, the concerto is influenced by folk-themes.

How's the conducting on that Robin Hood?
Easier slayed than done. Is anyone shocked that I won?

Mandryka

Henry's Eight sing Gombert's M. tempore paschali. These fellas handle the accidentals in a way which either seeks to avoid dissonance or which treats dissonance in a very subtle and nuanced way, I really couldn't tell you what their policy is. The result sounds nothing like the Gombert mass sung by Sound and Fury I heard this morning.

But Gombert's music with the ficta taken like this, is it really worth the candle? There are some nice things in it, of course.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kishnevi

Quote from: The new erato on December 17, 2015, 10:02:58 PM
And there's a strange lack of reissues as well.

He's been budget boxed
[asin]B00OZ1QAGS[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 18, 2015, 05:14:34 AM
Oh, no! (or is it Oh, goody!?) more violin concertos I haven't heard!

That whole series of Naxos violinists/composers is full of little treasures.  But I prefer the CDs devoted to solo violin works.  This one, for instance, just released
[asin]B00U2OT032[/asin]

Harry

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 18, 2015, 09:47:10 AM
That whole series of Naxos violinists/composers is full of little treasures.  But I prefer the CDs devoted to solo violin works.  This one, for instance, just released
[asin]B00U2OT032[/asin]

Yes yes, they are on my shortlist too, but I have a ton of Violin concertos waiting to be played, so help me God! 0:)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

Top-shelf Hovhaness:

Hovhaness
Requiem & Resurrection, Op.224 (1968)
North Jersey Wind Symphony
The composer conducting

[asin]B000003J74[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 18, 2015, 09:47:10 AM
[asin]B00U2OT032[/asin]
Yes! There are a lot of great solo violin works in the series. I loved the Beriot album played by Bella Hristova.

(It's also a good showcase for talented young performers. And, very rarely, less-talented young performers.)

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on December 18, 2015, 10:11:20 AM
Yes! There are a lot of great solo violin works in the series. I loved the Beriot album played by Bella Hristova.

(It's also a good showcase for talented young performers. And, very rarely, less-talented young performers.)

In this instance,  Reto Kuppel seems to be a talented not so young performer.  He was concertmaster of the BRSO from 1997 to 2013.

http://www.retokuppel.de/biographie.php?lang=eng

But it was this series that was the springboard for Wang's Sarasate series.

Maestro267

First listen to this:

Schmidt: Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln
Stig Andersen (tenor), René Pape (bass)
Bavarian Radio Symphony Chorus & Orchestra/Welser-Möst

SimonNZ

on the radio:

Nielsen's Helios Overture - Thomas Dausgaard, cond.

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays!

Wm Hibbard
Bass Trombone, Bass Clarinet, Harp (1973)
Jon English
Charles West
Motter Forman
The composer conducting

[asin]B00002MXOH[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2015, 03:38:24 AM
I really like Ashkenazy's recording of both PTs from Rachmaninov BUT the Borodin Trio remain my preferred choice. The reason being is there's just such an enchanting atmosphere created by the Borodins in which they take things a bit slower and allow the listener to really hear the inner-workings of these works.

Yes, I totally agree: the Borodins perform this music with a marvelously "atmospheric" character. As ominous and inevitable. A bit melodramatic, and Russian in addition.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SimonNZ

Crussel Clarinet Concertos - Per Billman, clarinet, Gérard Korsten, cond.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Been looking forward to this, that Hugh, he's a hard-droving man.  It's a fascinating, if flawed, work - saved from disaster at its premiere by one Malcolm Sargent.

Sergeant Rock

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.3, Pletnev and Rostropovich

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Listening to a real gem - Farrenc Symphony No. 2.
[asin]B00029CXBS[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 18, 2015, 10:14:38 AM
But it was this series that was the springboard for Wang's Sarasate series.
And I really think that, regardless of age, she's one of the best violinists on earth.

BTW she recently recorded Juan Manen's rare violin concerto alongside Lalo's famous Symphonie espagnole. She apparently also has 2 CDs of Saint-Saens complete violin (and orchestra, not piano) works coming soon.