Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Just nowish this...

Johann Philipp Krieger
Musicalischer Seelen-Frieden
Dorothee Mields / Hamburger Ratsmusik / S.Eckert

Carus

German link - UK link

There just can't be enough Dorothee Mields to go around, as far as I am concerned. After Love's Madness (#1 Best of 2012), this is her latest.

Now this:

Gottfried August Homilius
St. Mark Passion
Basel Madrigalists, L'arpa festante / Fritz Näf

Carus

German link - UK link

World Premiere Recording. Tremendously beautiful opening Chorale as I type.  Five tracks into it and already in love with Homilius.

This morning, after the boring Mozart, this:

(Traditional)
Makh tsu di Eygelekh
Yiddish Songs
Helene Schneiderman / G.Payer

Carus

German link - UK link

Based on one song that H.Schneiderman had recorded for the awesome "Christmas Songs" and "Lullabies" and "Folk Songs" series of SWR & Carus (which is so good, I want to have children because of it, pronto, just so I can expose them to it)... which was then expanded into this project. Last three tracks are of her parents singing the very songs they sang their daughter when she was a little girl.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Brian on February 16, 2013, 10:23:32 AM
First time with Kertesz, or first time hearing the symphony ever? Because I still remember the first time I heard the symphony... I was 14, I think, and it was so dark and malevolent that I ended up frightened. Nowadays it's one of my favorite works ever, of course, but I still occasionally hear a performance that makes me feel afraid!

First time ever. I still have a lot of gaps when it comes to Dvořák, but the 7th definitely made a very strong first impression. Looking forward to giving it another run, perhaps with a different recording.

dyn

Chaikovsky, String Quartet No. 1 (Op. 11)

hard to overstate how much i like this piece

Que

madaboutmahler

Why did I have to miss the revolutionary creation of this new thread?! ;)
Anyway, good evening everyone! :)
[asin]B000001GEK[/asin]
Porgy and Bess Suite 'Catfish Row'

Fantastic music! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Wakefield

Mozart - The Symphonies
The Academy of Ancient Music
Jaap Schroeder - Christopher Hogwood

CD8: Symphonies Nos. 25 & 29

Suggested by this movie:

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Cimarosa, Domenico (1749-1801) - Keyboard Sonatas, V.1/2 w/ Victor Sangiorgio on a modern piano.  Cimarosa, of course, was MOST famous as an opera composer - these KB works were discovered in the 1920s; most are in 3 movements, short, charming & melodic, and certainly not of the complexity of the latter solo sonatas written by Haydn or Mozart.  Excellent review of Vol. 1 HERE - :)

Lisztianwagner

Ottorino Respighi
Fontane di Roma

[asin]B000001GX5[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Conor71

Martinu: Piano Concerto No. 1 In D Major, H 149

Good morning all - now listening to Disc 1 of this set for the second time today. Its taking me quite a few listens to absorb this set but im getting there I think :)

[asin]B0000262OH[/asin]

Coopmv

Finally reaching parity with the Dutch members of this forum - now playing CD1 from the following set for a first listen over this long weekend ...

Todd

It's been a while since I last listened to this disc.  Some of the finest chamber music making extant.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Leo K.

Listening to disk 4, the stunning Sinfonietta, wow!

PaulR

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 16, 2013, 02:49:10 PM

Listening to disk 4, the stunning Sinfonietta, wow!

Yes, an absolute masterpiece, Leo.

Brian

Today's listening log looks absolutely nutso, because 1. I listened to a lot of very short pieces, 10-12 minutes each, 2. I listened to four CDs I'm reviewing for MusicWeb, and 3. I mostly sat around the house. So the result is this gigantic behemoth of a Saturday listen:

*stars = first-ever listens to the works
+plus = living composer

Reichenauer: Quartet. Lenka Torgersen, Sergio Azzolini, Collegium Marianum
Fasch: Quartet. Torgersen, Azzolini, Semeradova, Collegium Marianum
Jiranek: Trio sonata. Torgersen, Zemanova, Collegium Marianum
Postel: Trio Sonata.  Torgersen, Zemanova, Collegium Marianum
Fasch: Concerto in C. Semeradova, Torgersen, Azzolini; Collegium Marianum
Orschler: Trio in F minor. Torgersen, Zemanova; Collegium Marianum
Chopin: Waltz Op 18. William Kapell
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto. Michael Collins; Swedish Chamber Orchestra
Debussy: La mer. New York PO; Bernstein
*Bird: the Soundtrack, tracks 7-9. Charlie Parker etc.
Borodin: Prince Igor overture. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri
Borodin: Polovtsian Dances. Conservatory Concert Orch; Constantin Silvestri
Copland: Clarinet Concerto. Michael Collins; Swedish Chamber Orchestra
+Kats-Chernin: Ornamental Airs. Michael Collins; Swedish Chamber Orchestra
Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No 2. Pascal Roge; Royal PO, Charles Dutoit
*Francaix: Variations sur un theme plaisant. Mainz Wind Ensemble; Jean Francaix, piano
*Francaix: Cinq portraits de jeunes filles. Jean Francaix, piano
*Francaix: Harpsichord concerto. Jean Francaix; Saarbrucken Radio SO, Emile Naoumoff
Onslow: Cello Sonata No 1. Maria Kliegel; Nina Tichman
*Onslow: Cello Sonata No 2. Maria Kliegel; Nina Tichman
*Onslow: Cello Sonata No 3. Maria Kliegel; Nina Tichman
Weber: Der Freischutz overture. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri
Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream overture. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri
Liszt: Les Preludes. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri
*Liszt: Tasso. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri
Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No 4. Vienna Philharmonic; Constantin Silvestri
Humperdinck: Hansel and Gretel overture. Philharmonia; Constantin Silvestri

I will say this, the Constantin Silvestri Complete EMI Recordings box set which arrived in my mailbox today is already, after just a few listens, promising to be a contender for my 2013 Purchase of the Year. Cannot WAIT to hear the rest.

Conor71

Stravinsky: Le Sacre Du Printemps

For the rest of the day I plan to listen to Le Sacre from these 3 recordings and a bit of other Stravinsky too.

Gold Knight

Piotr Chaikovskii--Symphony No.3 in D Major, Op.29 {"Polish"}, performed by the Leonard Bernstein conducted New York Philharmonic.
Vaughan Williams--Symphony No.4 in F Minor and Symphony No.6 in E Minor, both featuring the Adrian Boult led New Philharmonia Orchestra.
Gustav Mahler--Symphony No.4 in G Major, with soprano Reri Grist and the New York Philharmonic under Maestro Bernstein.

Brahmsian

Shostakovich

Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op. 43

Barshai
WDR Sinfonieorchester
Brilliant Classics

*This symphony is starting to make a much more immediate and positive impression on me.  Second time listening to it today!!  Could this eventually become part of my vast favourites of Shosty's symphonies?  Perhaps so!  :)  Especially that incredible final movement!

listener

RACHMANINOFF Vespers  op. 37/1
Johannes-Damascenus-Chor für ostkirchliche Liturgie, Essen
Chor des Päptslichen Russischen Kollegs, Rom
passable, but a bit insecure compared to the  Russian choirs on other discs.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on February 16, 2013, 10:32:32 AM
Yes, it has been a very, very popular idea from Romanticism onwards. Almost a dogma, I'd say: the eternal Bach.

Although my opinion stems from listening and watching a variety of YouTube videos and not, say, a 150-year old adage. ;) Nonetheless, it's interesting to know that this view has persisted for such a long time. :)
Regards,
Navneeth