What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

...and now, going some 40 years back in time, to another great choral piece:

Arnold Schoenberg: Die Jakobsleiter - soloists, BBC Singers, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Boulez (cond.). From the big box:

[asin]B00JAOK44O[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 09, 2016, 06:13:43 PM
On to a complete change of pace
CD 47 of the Mercury Living Presence 3 box.

Moussorgsky Songs and Dances of Death
Tchaikovsky Three Songs
Prokofiev Five Poems of Anna Akhmatova, Op. 27
G Vishnevskaya, soprano
M Rostropovich piano
First listens to the Prokofiev and possibly the rest (at least, first listen to the piano versions)
Slava's skills at the keyboard are certainly up to the job here.

I love the Akhmatova songs, especially.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

...and the 20th century choral feast chez ritter comes to a conclusion with:

Edgard Varèse: Ecuatorial - Choeurs de Radio France, Ensemble Intercontemporain, Pierre Boulez (cond.)
(Again, from the big Boulez box on Sony)

Spineur

For those who like russian songs, Sviridov, etc, this is a beautiful CD

[asin]B00J711NMW[/asin]

aligreto

Chopin: Preludes Nos. 1-14 [Perahia]....

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 09, 2016, 05:53:38 PM
CD3

Performance serms excellent, although I have no other versions to compare it to.  Sonics certainly are excellent.  I would say it deserves the 10/10 it got from Classics Today.

The other day when these Veracini works were discussed, I listened to my set w/ the Locatelli Trio (inserted above) and enjoyed - still highly rated; now enjoying the Trio Settecento on Spotify (playing over my decent but not great BT soundbar) - just getting started but quite nice (also read David Vernier's comments in ClassicsToday - 10/10 rating) - for those interested, Fanfare reviews of both sets as a PDF (20 years apart - WOW!)  Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 10, 2016, 09:33:49 AM
The other day when these Veracini works were discussed, I listened to my set w/ the Locatelli Trio (inserted above) and enjoyed

I second this, the Locatelli Trio are consistently excellent throughout the whole 3-cd set.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

I'm not a fan of Jochum's Bruckner in his "middle period" (1955-1975/80). I find his conducting often unfocused, disconcerting, sometimes even confused. In his last years however he seems to have found a couple of keys that unlocked the doors to a whole array of new ways to connect the musical paragraphs. Suddenly, everything is brought into intense focus, bringing a solidity to the sound, a cogency to the musical argument that simply was not there previously. Tempi are often slightly more settled, the sound is much weightier, as are the climaxes that are simply crushing.

This Weitblick recording is from July 1983 and emphatically shows the change that was taking place at that time. The orchestra is the Munich Philharmonic, a smoother, denser outfit than the other Munich orchestra (the BRSO). It is recorded in the Herkulessaal, the BRSO's magnificent concert hall (the MPO's change of venue to the Philharmonie am Gasteig was yet to take place).

Suffice to say that this is one of the very best recordings of the work ever, infinitely superior to Jochum's Berlin or Dresden commercial performances.

There is another fantastic Jochum 9th, hailing from his very last concert in January 1987. It also features the MPO (this time in the Philharmonie concert hall). I'm listening to it next.

copied and pasted into the Bruckner Abbey thread.

Multiple edits for bad typos, as I was writing in haste  :(

Drasko

Quote from: The new erato on September 10, 2016, 03:44:07 AM
Solid performances of fine music in good sound, bur WTF is the texts to these unknown Russian poems? A major minus!

[asin]B00ZVSH0C2[/asin]

Thankfully I got it cheap from jpc.

I've yet to see Melodiya release with texts included. Whether it's LP or CD, opera or songs, budget or fullprice they never include texts. Always annoyed me.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ritter on September 10, 2016, 06:07:01 AM
Pierre Boulez: Troisième sonate (unpublished version in five formants), performed by the composer (live recording, Darmstadt 1959). From this recent acquisition:

[asin]B01H66ZIW0[/asin]
Interesting!!!! Didn't know this existed. I'll have to check it out!

ritter

Quote from: jessop on September 10, 2016, 12:23:43 PM
Interesting!!!! Didn't know this existed. I'll have to check it out!
Very interesting indeed. I intend to do some comparative listening of different versions of the sonata sometime soon, but must say today is sounded great in Boulez's own hands (even if stating, as the notoriously partial Antoine Goléa wrote in the late 50s, that Boulez was "the greatest composer-pianist since Bartók" might be stretching it a bit  ;) ).

THREAD DUTY:

I felt the sudden urge to listen to some of my favourite music ever, Maurice Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin, in the classic recording by Manuel Rosenthal conducting the Paris Opera Orchestra. Utter, complete pleasure!!!  :) :) :) :)

[asin]B0000AKPNY[/asin]

HIPster

Delightful afternoon listening courtesy of Brescianello and Vaclav Luks:

[asin]B01GO8EWXC[/asin]

Cheers GMGers!  :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Francisco António de Almeida's Te Deum - Joao Paulo Janiero, cond.

Drasko

Quote from: ritter on September 10, 2016, 01:05:11 PM
I felt the sudden urge to listen to some of my favourite music ever, Maurice Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin, in the classic recording by Manuel Rosenthal conducting the Paris Opera Orchestra. Utter, complete pleasure!!!

Haven't heard their Tombeau de Couperin but Rosental/Paris Opera Daphnis et Chloe is wonderful, my favorite recording of the piece.

on topic:

[asin]B0002SLP1I[/asin]

Kontrapunctus

Kontrapunctus

Reckoner

Dvorak: Piano Trio No. 4 "Dumky" / The Busch Trio

Johnnie Burgess

Vaughan Williams: Symphony # 2 "A London Symphony (1920 Version)"

SimonNZ

Quote from: Reckoner on September 10, 2016, 03:02:40 PM
Dvorak: Piano Trio No. 4 "Dumky" / The Busch Trio

Welcome, Reckoner! Love the Philip Glass avatar.