Rautavaara: Sonetto....

Quite an inventive work.

ludwigii

I'm listening to the first cd of this box set, which contains :

Joaquin Rodrigo

Concierto Serenade, for harp
Concierto Pastoral, for flute
Concierto Heroico, for piano

At the first look, what i like best is the first, in particular the central movement deserves (truly remarkable !)
The piano concerto is not bad.

[asin]B000BVXC7G[/asin]
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

Sergeant Rock

Bax Symphony No.2 E minor and C major (1924-26), Fredman conducting the LPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

Inevitably...  ;)

[asin]B000002ZOU[/asin]
Franz Liszt: Shepherds' Song at the Manger and The Three Holy Kings - March (orchestral movements from the oratorio Christus, transcribed for piano by the composer).

:) :) :) :)

listener

BRAHMS: Violin Sonata no.1   Trio for violin, piano and horn
Gyorgy Sebok, piano   Arthur Grumiaux, violin   Francis Orval, horn
BRITTEN: Temporal Variations  RÖNTGEN: Oboe Sonata no.1  RUBBRA: Oboe Sonata in c, GRABERT:Oboe Sonata in g
RUBBRA: Duo for cor anglais and piano
Peter Bree, c.a. & oboe    Paul Koenen, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Ludvig Irgens-Jensen:

- Tema con variazioni (1925). Oslo Philharmonic, Odd Gruner-Hegge.
- Passacaglia (1927) and Partita Sinfonica (1938). Oslo Philharmonic, Ole Kristian Ruud.

Good, very solid music. Not smiling or life-affirming. Irgens-Jensen seems to have been a serious character, not prone to expansiveness.

Mahlerian

Bartók: Piano Concertos
Krystian Zimerman, Chicago Symphony Orchestra; Leif Ove Andsnes, Berlin Philharmonic; Helene Grimaud, London Symphony Orchestra; all cond. Boulez

Though it may be considered the Cinderella of the bunch, I have something of a preference for the First Concerto, great though the other two certainly are.  I also think it gets the best performance here, and the Third the least convincing performance (perhaps due to the conductor's lesser sympathy for the work's idiom?), but that may just be me.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Kontrapunctus

This set arrived today, and I listened to the first 6: so far, so good! He composed them in 1937/38, a few years before Hindemith and Shostakovitch composed their cycles. Great playing of what sounds like quite demanding music, and the sound is very good, too.

ritter

..and another piano transcription from Christus: the Pastorale (also from Part I).

[asin]B0049BX0M6[/asin]
And now, the son-in-law follows the father-in-law, with the Siegfried-Idyll from this CD:

I've always admired the art of Gianandrea Gavazzeni, that grand seigneur of post-WW2 Italian opera. He also was a very perceptive and eminently readable writer on music...

Brian

Haydn - Sonata No. 53 in E minor
Brahms - Four Pieces Op. 119
Borodin - Little Suite
Glinka/Balakirev - The Lark
Schubert - Hungarian Melody

The Haydn is played with great sensitivity. Still only on track 1 but this promises to be a marvelous CD.

ritter

And with Christian Gerhaher (man, what an extraordinary singer !) performing Mahler's Rückert-Lieder (man, what extraordinary music!), I bid you all goodnight!  :)

[asin]B00DYFCZ5Q[/asin]Kent Nagano conducts the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal.

San Antone

Quote from: ritter on September 28, 2016, 01:11:49 PM
And with Christian Gerhaher (man, what an extraordinary singer !) performing Mahler's Rückert-Lieder (man, what extraordinary music!), I bid you all goodnight!  :)

[asin]B00DYFCZ5Q[/asin]Kent Nagano conducts the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal.

That set has been on my Wish List for months, if not years. 

;)

San Antone

A different but interesting recording from Christian Gerhaher & Co.

Terezín/Theresienstadt
Anne Sofie von Otter, Bengt Forsberg, Christian Gerhaher, Daniel Hope

The Swedish mezzo-soprano, Anne Sofie von Otter, is known as one of the most versatile stars of her generation. She is always in search of new musical challenges, whether with the songs of Cécile Chaminade or of Benny Andersson. Here, von Otter has chosen a project with a serious and historically significant background. She interprets pieces written in the Theresienstadt concentration camp by a group of Jewish composers who were imprisoned there and yet managed to foster a rich cultural life even under the most extreme conditions. On this album, Anne Sofie von Otter is joined by one of the greatest lieder singers of today, Christian Gerhaher, and their longtime pianists Bengt Forsberg and Gerold Huber, respectively. Together they present songs by Viktor Ullmann, Hans Krása, and so-called cabaret songs. DG's recently signed violinist Daniel Hope contributes the Sonata for Solo Violin by Erwin Schulhoff.

listener

PROKOFIEV: Violin Concerto 1, Piano Concerto 5 Harri
Erick Friedman, violin    Lorin Hollander, piano     Boston S.O., Leinsdorf
REUBKE: Sonata 'The 94th Psalm'   REGER: Toccata & Fugue op. 59/5&6
Fantasia on 'Straf' mich nicht in deinem Zorn' op.40/2
Simon Preston, organ of Westminster Abbey, London (1937 Harrison & Harrison)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on September 28, 2016, 01:31:45 PM
That set has been on my Wish List for months, if not years. 

;)
It was on my list for a long time, too. For anyone even slightly interested in it, I'd say grab it, grab it now!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: listener on September 28, 2016, 02:16:33 PM

REUBKE: Sonata 'The 94th Psalm' 

Simon Preston, organ of Westminster Abbey, London (1937 Harrison & Harrison)

Reubke RAWKS!  I still recall seeing the score at the library (50 years ago!) and understanding immediately that it was a great work!

That an orchestration has not been recorded yet: why not?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

HIPster

Some Rameau this afternoon ~

[asin]B00PXA1KV0[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Kontrapunctus

When I first bought this disc, I thought this SQ was too aggressive. After listening to them again today, I've reconsidered. Yes, they are aggressive, but not to the point of being unmusical. If you want the frisson and intensity of a live quartet, then they are a good bet! (For a mellower experience, choose the newest Tokyo SQ series.) Very present and clear sound. My only gripe is that Op.133 is treated as a separate piece, and not the last movement of Op.130, which is on another disc!

André

Masterpiece alert:

Olav Kielland's first symphony is an absolutely remarkable work. First performed in 1935. Here conducted by the composer (1901-1985) leading the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

kishnevi

Quote from: Cato on September 28, 2016, 02:35:58 PM
Reubke RAWKS!  I still recall seeing the score at the library (50 years ago!) and understanding immediately that it was a great work!

That an orchestration has not been recorded yet: why not?

Until the orchestration is recorded....
.http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2146391

TD
Stravinsky
The DG Complete box again
CD 9
Jeu de cartes.  LSO. Abbado
Scenes de ballet.  IPO Bernstein
Orpheus.  Orpheus Chamber Orchestra*

*I wonder if DG actually planned that.