What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Venturing a bit out of my usual repertory (actually, I haven't listened to this CD in at least 20 years):

[asin]B00002550G[/asin]

Karl Amadeus Hartmann's Piano Sonata No.2 "27.IV.45" and Leoš Janáček's Piano Sonata 1.X.1905, performed by Benedikt Koehlen.

Appreciating the Hartmann, which is given with the first and the revised versions (allegro furioso and allegro risoluto, respectively) of the last movement, quite a lot.

Kontrapunctus

I listened to No.1-3 of this new set today. First-class playing and sound. It's Gramophone's Chamber Music Recording of the Year.

ritter

And before calling it a night, continuing my exploration of Luigi Nono's oeuvre, with my first-ever listen to A Pierre: Dell'azzurro silenzio, inquietum, for bass flute, doble bass clarinet and live electronics.

[asin]B008GVA69A[/asin]
This tribute to Pierre Boulez on his 60th birthday (the piece is from 1985) is simply astounding. The sonorities achieved by the manipulation of the two instruments are like nothing I have ever heard before (and I'm certain on record it's nothing compared to what it must be live, with the spatial movement of the sounds among four speakers)...

Brian

Quote from: ritter on October 27, 2016, 01:19:01 PM

Karl Amadeus Hartmann's Piano Sonata No.2 "27.IV.45" and Leoš Janáček's Piano Sonata 1.X.1905, performed by Benedikt Koehlen.

Appreciating the Hartmann, which is given with the first and the revised versions (allegro furioso and allegro risoluto, respectively) of the last movement, quite a lot.
Intrigued, I found a different recording of Hartmann's Sonata 27 April 1945 (Allison Brewster Franzetti) and found myself liking it a lot. Will return to that work in the future.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: aligreto on October 27, 2016, 11:56:06 AM
My favourite interpretation of Sibelius 2 is my copy this old vinyl....

....a superb, powerful, menacing and almost threatening performance.

Nice! I'll check that one out on Youtube.

Aside: that's got to be THE coolest Karajan cover ever! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on October 27, 2016, 12:23:23 PM
Quite so. He said that to Walter Legge, who had been trying to get Sibelius himself to come to England to record. Sibelius pled old age.

What a tantalizing could-have-been!!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I feel in the mood to listen to Mahler's 7th today.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 27, 2016, 02:28:52 PM

Aside: that's got to be THE coolest Karajan cover ever! :)

Indeed.

"Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
   how do you like your blueeyed boy
   Mister Death"
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Dee Sharp

Bruckner: Symphony No. 4. Karajan/Berlin.  If I had to pick just one #4 it would be this one. The sound can get a little harsh in spots, but who cares? This performance grabs you and doesn't let go.

Ghost Sonata

I'm getting a miserable cold, but I am not going to get grumpy, no, I'm going to Italy (in my armature) and be of good cheer:

[asin]B000URDDXO[/asin]
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 27, 2016, 04:10:28 PM
What do you think?

The Concerto is good, if a little overly long at 50 minutes. Could have a more powerful last movement. Haven't listened to "Othello" yet, but I'm about to. Very good playing and sound. If you like Tchaikovsky and R. Strauss, then this should be appealing.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

MTT/LSO

This one truly is superb

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 27, 2016, 06:28:11 PM
The amount of Mahler 7ths you're listening to is impressive, I'll give you that!  :D
Well I've already listened to this one recently! But it's very good, and considering I have it stored on my phone (as well as solti and boulez mahler 7s) I can listen to it whilst travelling on the tram--which I am doing at the moment. :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Dancing Divertimentian

Bartok, 2nd piano concerto, Kocsis/Fischer. Definitely one of the greatest PCs ever written. The second movement alone belongs in some hall-of-fame somewhere.

Mirror Image

Now:

A new acquisition. Listening to the 5th. Sounds great so far. This is a Japanese-only release, but it was well worth the trouble in tracking down. 8)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2016, 07:55:36 PM
Now:

A new acquisition. Listening to the 5th. Sounds great so far. This is a Japanese-only release, but it was well worth the trouble in tracking down. 8)
Plus, it excludes the ones I listen to least! I wonder why no 8th or 9th?