What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Kagan and Richter play Mozart K 379. I'd forgotten how wonderful this performance is. I tried to listen to Podger and Grumiaux in the same sonata but I thought they were over emotional, Kagan is very restrained and that works perfectly for me
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

A revisit, and after traversing through Marcel Peres and Graindelavoix as wellas other more tame recordings, this group/recording is what I had hoped to find.  It was actually one I had known about but hadn't listened to for ages.

I like the fact that it is a male group, and the pitching is lower by a fourth, or thereabouts, and the interpretation is not as wobbly as Peres and Schmelzer.

For the time being, my go-to recording of this work.

San Antone

Sticking with early music, going back even earlier than Machaut.

I've had this CD for a while but hardly ever listen to it.  I think subconsciously the ccover art is prejudicing me against it.  It is in truth a very good recording of very early music.

San Antone

Stockhausen : Stimmung
Paul Hillier and Theater of Voices

Kinda had a hankerin' for some Bb7 ....

San Antone

Okay, had enough of Bb7 ...

Although my original copy looked like this:

Ken B

Quote from: sanantonio on December 13, 2016, 11:48:13 AM
Okay, had enough of Bb7 ...

Hankering for a little atonality are we?  >:D
I am listening to Stamitz symphonies, the AAM, Hogwood.

San Antone

Quote from: Ken B on December 13, 2016, 11:54:28 AM
Hankering for a little atonality are we?  >:D
I am listening to Stamitz symphonies, the AAM, Hogwood.

That's what happens after listening to a half hour of B-flat.

;)

SimonNZ

Blamont, Clérambault and Courbois cantatas - Agnès Mellon, soprano and cond.

Dee Sharp

Tchaikovsky/Sibelius Violin Concertos. Lisa Batiashvili; Daniel Barenboim: Staatskapelle Berlin. An excellent disc.  I especially enjoyed the exuberant performance of the Tchaikovsky. I also have Batiashvili's earlier recording of the Sibelius with Sakari Oramo which I slightly prefer to this one, but both discs are outstanding.

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

ComposerOfAvantGarde

First time listening to this......I might have to post this in the 'blown away' thread!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ComposerOfAvantGarde

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2016, 06:10:45 AM
Now:

Listening to the Mass. So beautiful.
Like most things that I have heard which been released on Hyperion, I found the Symphony of Psalms here rather uninteresting.....I haven't heard the Mass though, so what is your assessment of it in comparison to other recordings?

San Antone

Quote from: jessop on December 13, 2016, 06:10:25 PM
Luc Ferrari with eRikm

Good one.  Have you seen the Ferrari big box?

[asin]B002B8U7QG[/asin]

Mandatory if you like his music.

Edit: I did not notice it was OOP. Mine was around $60-70 when I bought it. 

Kontrapunctus

Beautifully played and nicely recorded, but the playing time is rather skimpy (43 and 48 minutes for disc 1 and 2, respectively). He could easily have added another hour of music, but I suppose that would defeat the purposes of issuing only the French Suites!

SimonNZ

Quote from: jessop on December 13, 2016, 06:13:51 PM
Like most things that I have heard which been released on Hyperion, I found the Symphony of Psalms here rather uninteresting.....I haven't heard the Mass though, so what is your assessment of it in comparison to other recordings?

Gasp! Heresy!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: sanantonio on December 13, 2016, 06:17:36 PM
Good one.  Have you seen the Ferrari big box?

[asin]B002B8U7QG[/asin]

Mandatory if you like his music.

Edit: I did not notice it was OOP. Mine was around $60-70 when I bought it. 
OOP but it IS on Spotify. If it were in print I'd probably buy it.........

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 13, 2016, 06:30:57 PM
Gasp! Heresy!
Is Hyperion considered good or something? There are a handful of releases I do like, particularly the recordings of music by Leo Ornstein, Balakirev piano music and some early music albums. There is so much they have released which is repertoire I simply find uninteresting or I prefer other recordings, the latter is usually the case with a lot of the warhorse repertoire they've released.

San Antone