The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Zeus

L'arpa Barberini - Music in Early Baroque Rome
Margret Köll, Roberta Invernizzi
Accent

Exquisite music.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Harry

CD 6 & 7 from this Locatelli box. Gets a strong recommendation from me. New acquisition and first listen.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/03/locatelli-pietro-antonio-1695-1764.html?spref=tw
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Zeus

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2017, 07:09:16 AM
Os quartetos de cordas de Villa-Lobos já chegaram!!!

The set of Villa-Lobos SQs (the Brilliant esition) I ordered has just been delivered to my office!  :) :) :)

Will start sampling in the car on my way home... Chronologically?  ::)

Can we carpool?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 0 "Die Nullte" [Tintner]....

I have always liked this work and also this version of it.

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on March 07, 2017, 10:51:54 PM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 - Wand/Cologne Radio Symphony Orchestra.

[asin]B0042U2HLY[/asin]

Some time ago I bought this box after a discussion with oor aligreto. I'd said that the even after repeated listening to a recording of the Jochum/Berlin Philharmonic 4th I couldn't appreciate the composer. One of suggestions was this. I bought it and it has been gathering dust in the 'to listen to' pile under my desk... So today it's time for Wand. I've hugely enjoyed his Brahms cycle with the NDR and now I'm looking forward to this one.

I do hope that you enjoyed it Nik  :)

Harry

A relisten to the Audite recordings with music from Grieg. I am really in two minds about the interpretations and recordings.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/03/grieg-edvard-1843-1907-orchestral-works.html?spref=tw

cilgwyn

This is my favourite Offenbach operetta,and this,imho,is it's best ever recording! I had the Lp set when I was young. Unfortunately,the only cd reissue is either very hard to get,or sellers ask huge prices. Furthermore,the artwork is lousy (bring back the original) and there is no libretto in English,which there was in the original. I was lucky and I saw someone offering it at a low price,one day,after years of unsuccessful searching. Gripes aside,it's the music that's really important,but.....!
Anyway,great cast,great performances! :) :) :) The cd reissue has very messy 'artwork',and no english libretto. The original Lp set (see right) looked much smarter and included a libretto and full notes. Hopefully,an eventual reissue will see these restored!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2017, 07:09:16 AM
Os quartetos de cordas de Villa-Lobos já chegaram!!!

The set of Villa-Lobos SQs (the Brilliant esition) I ordered has just been delivered to my office!  :) :) :)

Will start sampling in the car on my way home... Chronologically?  ::)

Very nice, Rafael. I hope you enjoy that SQ set as much as I have. Yeah, I'd listen to them in order, but that's entirely up to you. 8)

Harry

aligreto

Telemann: Concerto for 2 Flutes, Violone, Strings & Continuo in A minor TWG 53:a1....

The scoring yields up wonderful sonorities and orchestral textures in this wonderful work.

Karl Henning

A first listen!

Roussel
Padmâvatî

[asin]B000PKG5EA[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Volume V of Grieg's symphonic works. Recording wise this is the best of the set. As a performance it also comes close to near perfect.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/03/grieg-edvard-1843-1907-orchestral-works_49.html?spref=tw

Mandryka

Bernard Klapprott plays Thomas Tomkins variations on Fortune my Foe. This was Tomkins final work, and a magnum opus, yet there are only two recordings I think - this and Carol Cerasi.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

The Naxos recording of the newly found Violin concerto of Halvorsen is a must. Also for the Nielsen concerto. Re listening to this recording change my initial thoughts, which were not positive, into a firm recommendation. When I first listened to it I was not fit (healthwise) to do so, and thus a bad impression came out of it, but I corrected that.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/03/halvorsen-johan-1864-1935-nielsen-carl.html?spref=tw

aligreto

Holst: Dances from The Morning of the Year [Atherton]....

I really like what Atherton brings to the music of Holst. Big, broad, sweeping and expansive performances where the music is allowed to breathe and to blossom, almost on a grand scale yet still keeping it intimate. The recordings are very good delivering rich, detailed sonorities.

cilgwyn

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 08, 2017, 07:43:39 AM
A first listen!

Roussel
Padmâvatî

[asin]B000PKG5EA[/asin]
Lucky fellow! I haven't got that one! :(