AAM
Hogwood

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No.20 C major, Fischer conducting the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2017, 06:02:20 AM
Haydn Symphony No.26 D minor ""Lamentatione", Kuijken conducting La Petite Bande

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ne4a0yXSShE

Sarge

I'm in:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

"Papa"
Symphony № 26 in d minor, « Lamentazione » Hob.I/26
AAM
Hogwood

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 31, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
Couple of 'new arrivals':

Faure, Gabriel - Violin Sonatas w/ the gals on the cover art below - just the 2 sonatas, so about 25 minutes left on the CD - my second disc of these works in my collection is Pascal Devoyon & Dong-Suk Kang on Naxos w/ about 12 additional minutes (3 shorter Faure works included) - attached are several reviews of the CD shown for those interested.

Bach-Abel-Binder - Cello & Keyboard Sonatas w/ Brigitte Haudebourg on a fortepiano & Philippe Foulon on a 'violoncello d'amore' - kind of like a baryton - third pic below shows the bridges w/ regular and sympathetic strings; booklet notes discuss mainly the instruments in depth - recommended by several members in this thread (believe one was André) - composers all from the 18th century - a delightful recording.  Dave :)

Hi Dave !  ;)

Coincidentally I put this disc on last weekend. "Intelligent" music, playing a delicate balance between intellectual and sensual aural pleasures.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on March 31, 2017, 09:26:02 AM
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 [Kubelik]....

I have always been in a minority among my musical colleagues with never having been over enthused with this set. I came very close to selling it a number of years ago but I held on to it as a result of peer pressure and for fear of their wrath  ;D. As a result I have not listened to it much in recent times. I have now decided to give the cycle another go.

I'm another who doesn't have much love for the Kubelik set...other than his Fifth. Even the famous First isn't among my favorites.

Sarge

André

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2017, 11:34:16 AM
A miraculous symphony...the solo bits truly inspired.

Here's a good video version, Steven Isserlis conducting the Norwegians from the cello

https://www.youtube.com/v/qwGQELUJnfs

Sarge

Thanks for that, Sarge. Your description is spot on. It's wonderful to watch Isserlis' expression as the slow introduction starts. For a musician this must be the equivalent of amorous foreplay.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2017, 11:49:52 AM
"Papa"
Symphony № 16 in Bb, Hob.I/16

Short and sweet...listening to Fischer's version.

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2017, 12:04:23 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

"Papa"
Symphony № 26 in d minor, « Lamentazione » Hob.I/26
AAM
Hogwood
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2017, 11:49:52 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

"Papa"
Symphony № 16 in Bb, Hob.I/16
AAM
Hogwood
I'll celebrate with these two, too - although it will be Brüggen & OAE for No. 26.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

From the Warner box, partsongs and choir works by Max Reger. The box' editors had the good idea to mix in executions from different choral traditions in this nice survey:

- Eric Ericson and the Rundfunkchor Stockholm. Perfect balance and intonation, wonderfully pure yet mature expression.
- The slightly fuller sound of german singers with the Junge Kantorei Darmstadt under the experienced Joachim Martini.
- The slightly blanched sound of the Hilliard Ensemble (with its very pure tenors) from the UK.

This is disc no 8 (and the last) from the box. I thought of putting it on while surfing the net, but was captivated throughout.

This is an excellent survey of some of the composer's best works. About 1/3 overlaps with the competing Brilliant box. An excellent deal and musical introduction to this important composer.

Too bad that the violin/cello sonatas and the quartets are so hard to get - and expensive! I only have op 74 on a Thorophon disc. A mammoth work (55 minutes) that fascinates me every time I hear it.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No.92 G major "Oxford", Szell conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

Kontrapunctus

Paul Galbraith's new recording of transcriptions of Mozart and Bach wonderfully played on his 8-string guitar. Superb sound.

Camphy

Quote from: HIPster on March 30, 2017, 07:01:40 AM
Hi Camphy - any thoughts on this recording?  Thanks.  :) 

I am considering their integrale set, which includes this release.

Hi HIPster, sorry for the delay. I thought it sounded great; an excellent way to explore the composers featured. Although it's perhaps more beautiful than exciting. Other recordings might make more of the dialogue in some of the music, for example in Buxtehude's sonatas.

In that sense Koopman's recordings are rather different:

André

From the latest Delius/Beecham box (on Warner Classics), CD 1 (I'm not playing them in order). Over the Hills and Far Away, Sleigh Ride, Brigg Fair, Florida Suite and Marche Caprice. Beautiful interpretations (in stereo) of some of the Master's best works. The RPO' horns are superb. Delius used the horn to express elation, longing, melancholy, foreboding (the usual "horny" expressions) better than most composers.

Last week I was listening to other discs in the box. Works like Appalachia, Koanga and Florida Suite predate other composers' "american" works by 15-30 years. Treemonisha, Porgy and Bess or the Mississippi Suite were quite distant in the future.

Florestan

I guess birthday is as good a reason as any other for having an all-Haydn weekend.  :laugh:

I'll start tonight (ie, in a few minutes) with CD 1 of this:

Missa "Rorate coeli desuper" Hob XXII:3
Missa Sanctae Caeciliae Hob XXII:5

First listen both.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No.99 E flat "Cat"  ;) ...Szell conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

HIPster

Quote from: Camphy on March 31, 2017, 12:52:36 PM
Hi HIPster, sorry for the delay. I thought it sounded great; an excellent way to explore the composers featured. Although it's perhaps more beautiful than exciting. Other recordings might make more of the dialogue in some of the music, for example in Buxtehude's sonatas.

Thanks Camphy;)

Here's their complete set ~

[asin]B00FEFOIKY[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Spineur

Joining the Haydn celebration with this new release

[asin]B01MU7UDRD[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2017, 12:34:07 PM
Haydn Symphony No.92 G major "Oxford", Szell conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

Ah, those horns in the Trio! Bliss!  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 31, 2017, 09:39:54 AM
Quick question:

I received a batch of older CDs this week, used, mint etc.  What was baffling was the markings on the discs themselves.

Tchaikovsky 4 & 5 symphonies, DG Karajan and an oldish copy of Shostakovich 5 with Ashkenazy on Decca, all had a vivid neon PINK over print on the 'info' side of the cd.

The overprint was, Original CYX DBGM.  With the same pink slashes like on the segments of a clock face around the circumference.

Anyone shed any light on this?  I certainly have never seen this before, discs are original DG/Decca or seem to be.  Anyone know what CYX DBGM means? A supplier, middleman, perhaps?

Cheers.

Those are termed "Matrix Markings" and are often seen on original vinyl recordings; they can refer to a specific engineer, mastering house, or record pressing plant.  Sometimes combinations of those.  Dunno what those specific markings indicate. 
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

SimonNZ