What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioCar

Quote from: ritter on October 30, 2017, 01:28:50 PM
Interesting, but...decisamente, questa non è la mia tazza di tè;D

:laugh: A nice way to put it in Italian.

Quote from: ritter on October 30, 2017, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: Mahlerian on October 30, 2017, 01:40:22 PM
Berio: "Points on the curve to find..."
Pierre-Laurent Aimard, Ensemble Intercontemporain, cond. Boulez

I don't know if this piece is more Ritter's cup of tea, but I like it, anyway.  I do wonder if the trend of using ellipses in titles...

...will be a future joke...

Oh yes, it is very much my cup of tea!  :)  (as is the rest of the music on that CD).

Cheers,
Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2017, 02:32:04 PM
A disc I got in Sony's box of Webern's complete opus numbers, Varèse's complete works & Carter Symphony of Three Orchestras. Most probably the first Berio I liked, too - at least apart from some of his arrangements.

One of my favourite Berio recordings as well :). But I'd also suggest Ritter to give Visage some more chances...

All that makes me want to see a Berio Complete Edition sooner or later. Just dreaming? ::)

TD

Que

Morning listening -1st run:

[asin]B00B23Z0YA[/asin]
As with the Fantasias for violin solo, this is some of Telemann's finest music...  as I kind of expected.
Mislabelled as for violin, these pieces were actually written for the traverse flute but seem very popular amongst players of the recorder.

Comparative review by Johan van Veen: http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Telemann_Fantasias_Gaillard_Oberlinger_Rossi.html

Q

Turner

Frederick the Great - Concertos, Symphonies / Haenchen / Capriccio LP
Underwhelming.

Rachmaninov - Trios 1+2 / Borodin Trio / Chandos LP
Probably a bit too subdued performances.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on October 30, 2017, 10:59:45 PM
Morning listening -1st run:

[asin]B00B23Z0YA[/asin]
As with the Fantasias for violin solo, this is some of Telemann's finest music...  as I kind of expected.
Mislabelled as for violin, these pieces were actually written for the traverse flute but seem very popular amongst players of the recorder.

Comparative review by Johan van Veen: http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Telemann_Fantasias_Gaillard_Oberlinger_Rossi.html

Q

Wishlisted, thanks Que and Mr. van Veen.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eljr

Scary Classical Halloween
RFCM Symphony Orchestra

Genre
Classical
Release Date
October 2, 2010
Duration
41 minutes
Style
Halloween
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

eljr

Theatre of Voices / Paul Hillier
Stockhausen: Stimmung

Release Date September 11, 2007
Duration01:17:36
Genre
Classical
Styles
Vocal Music
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Harry

Early morning listening. Second rerun.
Recommended to all Cantatas fans, and Klaus Mertens.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2017/10/baroque-bass-cantatas-from-mugeln.html?spref=tw

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mookalafalas

Like Que above, I just heard this Telemann for the first time and was wowed. 

It's all good...

Maestro267

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 ("Reformation")
Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin/Ashkenazy

Sergeant Rock

It's the 500th anniversary of the start of the Reformation. Listening to Bach's Cantata BWV 80 Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 31, 2017, 05:12:06 AM
It's the 500th anniversary of the start of the Reformation. Listening to Bach's Cantata BWV 80 Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

I knew there was a reason I had a hankerin' to watch Monty Python's Meaning of Life this week, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Turner

Some lesser known LPs:

- Prokofiev Sonata 2 & Romeo & Juliet / Berman / DG LP

- Rogalev: Concerto for 4-string Dombra & Ch. Orch; Grinblat: Concerto for Flute & Ch.Orch; Uspensky: Music for Strings, Perc., Voice, Harp & Piano / Leningrad Orch of Old and Modern Music/ Serov / Melodiya LP (a mixed bag of folkish and more modern works)

- chamber works by Kubicka, Ocenas, Suchon & Sixta / soloists / Opus LP (quite good, worth returning to)

Mirror Image

Now playing Ariane from this recording:

ritter

Now this is more like it (after the--relative--let-down of my first encounter with Luciano Berio's Visage yesterday):

[asin]B000003FOS[/asin]
Recital 1 for Cathy is Berio at his wackiest and most inventive. Some could say that there is some affinity with the In ruhig fliessender Bewegung movement of Sinfonia, as both pieces are made up of a plethora of quotations of music from the past (in Recital I, we start with Monteverdi's Lettera amorosa, and proceed to things such as Dido and Aeneas, Falla's Polo, the Berceuses du chat, Meyerbeer's Dinorah, the Kindertotenlieder, e così via--it's actually quite fun to try to identify the quotations). But, as opposed to Sinfonia, Recital 1 is a highly theatrical work, a tour de force for the vocalist, and it's--IMHO, purposefully--much less polished. As the work progresses, the performer's descent into madness becomes evident (and the overall effect of the piece is actually quite unsettling--fun as it is, I insist).

I do not know if this piece is "transferable" from its dedicatee and first performer Cathy Berberian (given her unique artistic qualities and association with the composer--by the time of this piece, he was already her ex-husband). I do know Measha Brueggergosman performed it live some years ago (whatever happened to her? I think she's a very interesting singer), but it would be nice to have a new recording of this fascinating piece (perhaps within that "Berio Complete Edition" our fellow GMGer GioCar dreams of--and me with him  ;) ).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on October 31, 2017, 12:30:07 AMRachmaninov - Trios 1+2 / Borodin Trio / Chandos LP
Probably a bit too subdued performances.

Actually, that's my favorite recording of those works. Absolutely enchanting performances. Nothing subdued about them. If anything, they capture the myriad of moods to gorgeous effect. Sound quality is also top-notch.

Todd

Kubelik's studio recording with the Beantown band for DG.  Slightly slower than the Orfeo recording across the board, this recording gives nothing away in terms of intensity or bite in the faster passages, and boasts more exact sounding playing.  (It is a studio effort.)  DG's sound is a bit bright and edgy, but it's more detailed.  The later live effort seems more spontaneous, but this more carefully crafted recording offers a more pristine take.  The Giuoco delle coppie sounds more formal and serious than the live recording, but it moves along at a perfectly judged pace and never sounds sluggish.  The biggest difference comes in the Elegia, which at 7'19" is markedly slower than in the smokin' live performance.  The opening is darker and more funereal, and Kubelik gets a wonderfully eerie sound from the winds early on.  Even with the slower overall tempo, Kubelik generates oodles on intensity in the climaxes, with the timps knocked out with thumping insistence.  The Intermezzo interrotto sound in the main theme is attractive but not especially gorgeous in a romantic-type way, but all those microphones allow one to hear what the strings and winds are doing with ease.  The interruption is just about perfect in every regard.  The Finale, while taking almost fifty seconds longer, most certainly does not sound any less energetic or intense in the fast passages, and it sounds tighter; rather, Kubelik imparts a bit more color and gentle tempo flexibility in the slower music.  As so often happens with this conductor, everything sounds just right.  One of the great studio recordings.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry