What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 15, 2017, 07:21:07 PM
A year ago, I was introduced to Benjamin Godard after reading a great review of his String Quartets by Jerry Dubins - ended up buying that and 2 more CDs (all above including the Piano Trios) - looking on Amazon, there are yet some more discs that pique my interest - for those interested, reviews of the above recordings are attached.  Dave :)

I'm starting to enjoy his music. The string quartets will be on my list.

Now I'm playing:

Godard: Piano trio no. 2 in F major, op. 72

A fine trio which enjoyed a lot. Very poetic and sophisticated.

Holst: Walt Whitman Overture, Suite de Ballet

Gorgeous music. I've liked the Suite the most: it contains some lovely and festive music. The Scène de Nuit is especially marvelous. Inspiring music for sure.

SimonNZ

"Songs Of England" - Jennifer Vyvyan, soprano, Ernest Lush, piano

I used to have the original 10" of these, once upon a time:

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Todd on November 16, 2017, 12:57:31 PM

Fantastic recording of both concertos, especially her intensely passionate interpretation of the Carter. I never expected both concertos to actually go so well together, but Weilerstein and Barenboim make it work. It's a wild ride.

I really love this interview, the last one the composer ever gave. Have you seen it? It would be good to know what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/v/1stGn4NA-tU

kishnevi

First listen

Ullmann Third
DSCH Second
Laks Third

Unlike Ullmann, Laks survived Auschwitz, and the Third Quartet was written immediately after the end of the war.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Bernhard Lang (*1957)
Monadologie XIII The Saucy Maid for two orchestras one quartertone apart

SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg
Wolfgang Lischke / Christopher Sprenger, conductors

A really really really big piece (70 minutes) I haven't actually listened to in its entirety yet. Pretty astounding ambition, to write 70 minutes of orchestral microtonal music. The orchestration, however, seems to sound fairly standard and nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to playing techniques. Just the tuning!

Mirror Image

First-Listen Thursdays

Piano Quintet, Op. 80
String Quartet, Op. 72

You did it

Quote from: jessop on November 16, 2017, 05:33:13 PM
Bernhard Lang (*1957)
Monadologie XIII The Saucy Maid for two orchestras one quartertone apart

SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg
Wolfgang Lischke / Christopher Sprenger, conductors

A really really really big piece (70 minutes) I haven't actually listened to in its entirety yet. Pretty astounding ambition, to write 70 minutes of orchestral microtonal music. The orchestration, however, seems to sound fairly standard and nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to playing techniques. Just the tuning!

Are you doin' your Langathon now  ;D

I love me some Lang

in other words, a text representation:

QuoteHolyfuckingchristthissoundssoogood!!! - {pause} yeahyeahyeah,

etc etc

;D

Edit by Gurn B - took out a little excessive redundancy. "etc. etc." means the same thing as repeating it 20 times, thanks. :)

You did it

Mirror Image

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 16, 2017, 03:33:19 PM
Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa

Haven't heard it in a long time but it's a powerful piece

A great work for sure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2017, 12:38:52 PM
buckle up!

Will be curious to know your opinion of this one, Brian.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 16, 2017, 12:50:33 PM
Martinů Symphony No. 6 "Fantaisies symphoniques" (1953), Järvi conducting the Bamberg

Sarge

Pounds the table!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 16, 2017, 05:37:56 PM

Are you doin' your Langathon now  ;D

I love me some Lang

in other words, a text representation:

QuoteHolyfuckingchristthissoundssoogood!!! - {pause} yeahyeahyeah,

etc etc

;D

That text representation is surprisingly accurate for the opening of the Adagio, which I am currently on. :laugh:

It is good, I am enjoying it (and I know there are better bits yet to come). But Klaus Lang is still my favourite Lang. 8)

You did it

Quote from: jessop on November 16, 2017, 05:51:20 PM
etc etc

;D

That text representation is surprisingly accurate for the opening of the Adagio, which I am currently on. :laugh:

It is good, I am enjoying it (and I know there are better bits yet to come). But Klaus Lang is still my favourite Lang. 8)

I'm a big fan of the Differenz/Wiederholung cycle/series/sporting event/religion/concept (idk)  8)

Haven't heard a lot of Klaus and am not familiar tbh but I do know him

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 16, 2017, 05:57:58 PM

I'm a big fan of the Differenz/Wiederholung cycle/series/sporting event/religion/concept (idk)  8)

Haven't heard a lot of Klaus and am not familiar tbh but I do know him

Hmmmmm I know some but not all of it. I should listen to some more Bernhard Lang later. As it goes I listen to my favourites more often, which is horribly unfair to the music I haven't even heard once yet. It could become a favourite for me too.

Josquin13

Today, I listened to new recordings of Ravel and Debussy solo piano music--from two young pianists that are relatively new to me.  The first, Hinrich Alpers' 2015 set of the complete Ravel solo piano music, which totally captivated and impressed me.  This is some of the finest Ravel playing I've heard in ages.  Alpers is very well recorded too: 

[asin]B014JJBC6S[/asin]

The second, a Debussy disc from pianist Nino Gvetadze, whose Debussy playing is also first class, and likewise comes in superb sound. 

[asin]B00HFEBYB8[/asin]

These are two of the better young pianists I've heard in a long, long time, especially Alpers.

I finished off by listening to another new arrival--flautist Maria Cecilia Muñoz performing works by Bonis, Debussy, Caplet, Dutilleux, Gaubert, and Widor, accompanied on piano by Tiffany Butt.  Muñoz is yet another terrific young musician, & she is recorded in state of the art audiophile sound by Ars Producktion (it's a hybrid SACD).  The musicians sounded like they were in the room with me.

San Antone

Periods

It has been a while since I listened to this music.  There was a time when I was really really into Grisey.  Still like it.

You did it

Quote from: San Antonio on November 16, 2017, 06:10:34 PM

Periods

It has been a while since I listened to this music.  There was a time when I was really really into Grisey.  Still like it.

I've got that CD as well  :D

Good to see you listening too  8)

San Antone

Quote from: Josquin13 on November 16, 2017, 06:03:51 PM
Today, I listened to new recordings of Ravel and Debussy solo piano music--from two young pianists that are relatively new to me.  The first, Hinrich Alpers' 2015 set of the complete Ravel solo piano music, which totally captivated and impressed me.  This is some of the finest Ravel playing I've heard in ages.  Alpers is very well recorded too: 

[asin]B014JJBC6S[/asin]

The second, a Debussy disc from pianist Nino Gvetadze, whose Debussy playing is also first class, and likewise comes in superb sound. 

[asin]B00HFEBYB8[/asin]

These are two of the better young pianists I've heard in a long, long time, especially Alpers.

I finished off by listening to another new arrival--flautist Maria Cecilia Muñoz performing works by Bonis, Debussy, Caplet, Dutilleux, Gaubert, and Widor, accompanied on piano by Tiffany Butt.  Muñoz is yet another terrific young musician, & she is recorded in state of the art audiophile sound by Ars Producktion (it's a hybrid SACD).  The musicians sounded like they were in the room with me.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you on these recordings, and need to revisit them.  I've been listening to the same few pianists play this music here lately, and I appreciate your mentioning both of these albums of Debussy and Ravel.

SimonNZ

Caldara Trio Sonatas - Amandine Beyer et al

André

Edda Moser's second take on Popoli di Tessaglia plus 2 other concert arias. The disc is short at 42 minutes, but producer and singer knew what they were doing: these are mini operas, Mozart at his concentrated best, and Moser in full dramatic flight can be quite a ride indeed! Popoli in particular is nothing short of stunning. After taking her soprano through her paces singing her heart out, Mozart casually writes two ascending scales that take her up to a high G. It's he highest note ever scored for the soprano voice. Musically unnecessary, and certainly sadistic on the composer's part.