What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You did it

Mirror Image

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 19, 2017, 09:19:06 PM
That's a great piece  :)

Indeed. It's one of my favorite works from Szymanowski. Quite haunting.

You did it

Messiaen - Des Canyons Aux Etoiles

You did it

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2017, 09:21:07 PM
Indeed. It's one of my favorite works from Szymanowski. Quite haunting.

Gotta put some Szymanowski on sometime this week!

Que

Morning listening - just in:

[asin]B00B9S3OQO[/asin]

After an entire disc of Platti (HERE), this time 3 Platti cello sonatas (which seem the best of the bunch) and 3 Vivaldi sonatas.
Performances  by Sebastian Hess and Axel Wolf quite impress: a gentle flow, well articulated. The use of the lute and theorbo for the continuo part works really well.
If they record the remainder of the Vivaldi sonatas, which seems likely, count me in....  :)

Q

You did it

So just finished listening to Des Canyons.... for the second time today (but this time with the score!  :D ) and I'm on a roll:

Time for one of my favorite works, period -

Messiaen - Messiaen Eclairs sur l'au-delà

(But I don't have the score for this one  :( )

The movement "Le Christ, lumière du Paradis" gets to me just like the finale of Mahler's ninth  :'(

Madiel

Quote from: Scarpia on November 19, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
The Florestan is my absolute favorite Piano Trio. I can't think of a recording that they have made which isn't brilliant. (Yesterday I listened to their recording of the Ravel Piano Trio.)

Susan Tomes is basically the finest chamber music pianist going. And I've told her so. She was very nice and replied.

THREAD DUTY: I couldn't resist putting Schumann's Myrthen on again while I cook dinner. A different experience to sitting and reading the booklet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

From the liner notes by one Peter Dickinson:

Chaminade wrote first-class salon music, which is a much greater achievement than writing second or third-class symphonies and sonatas - and far less boring!

Amen!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eljr

Philippe Herreweghe / La Chapelle Royale
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Release Date October 17, 1995
Duration01:17:21
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral
Recording DateFebruary, 1995
Recording Location
Auditorium Stravinsky de Montreux
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

amw

Quote from: Scarpia on November 19, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
The Florestan is my absolute favorite Piano Trio. I can't think of a recording that they have made which isn't brilliant.
I have way too many of their recordings and yes same. Would be nice if they'd play anything written after 1976 (or so) I guess.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eljr

Katherine Bryan / Bramwell Tovey / Opera North Orchestra
Silver Voice: Opera Arias Played by Flute and Orchestra

Release Date October 27, 2017
Duration01:04:14
Genre
Classical
Styles
Concerto
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Madiel

Trying out Brahms' op.21 variations. I'm not sure I've ever heard either of them before.

Kun-Woo Paik for op.21/1, Variations on an original theme
Tamas Vasary for op.21/2, Variations on a Hungarian song
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Dvorak, 3 Male Choruses, B.66, off this album:

[asin]B00FRTDSCG[/asin]
I have to say, having stumbled across this recording as a source for these songs, I'm now interested in the album as a whole. The sound of the choir on these 3 songs is very appealing, and a whole album of Dvorak and Janacek sounds like a potential winner.

Florestan

This megabox has been a constant source of enjoyment (I'm currently on vol. 13 out of 17)

listener

big chunk of REGER organ music from Naxos
covers should show listings and organs
Klais organ at Trier Cathedral is the missing one
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Florestan

Madiel

Symphony No.3

[asin]B005FF2U2Q[/asin]

Florestan

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."