What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

The Haydn performance (Op.20, No.3) from this recent Tetzlaff Quartet album...

[asin]B01MUEM1LY[/asin]

amw

You guys. Stop what you are doing and go listen to this. You won't have regrets (except for the deep-seated regrets you have about your life and the state of the world in general that are always awakened by an exceptionally dark-hued and elegiac recording of the Schubert Quintet)

aligreto

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis [Zinman]....

This is an impressive performance all around; the instrumentalists and the solo vocalists do well. The choral singing is very fine. The direction is tight but not over controlled. This is a dignified and devotional interpretation and performance.

eljr

Yuuko Shiokawa / András Schiff
Bach, Busoni, Beethoven

Release Date November 17, 2017
Duration01:16:06
Genre
Classical
Styles
Chamber Music
Recording DateDecember, 2016
Recording Location
Auditorio Stelio Molo RSI, Lugano
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Madiel

Quote from: amw on November 22, 2017, 03:48:38 AM
You guys. Stop what you are doing and go listen to this. You won't have regrets (except for the deep-seated regrets you have about your life and the state of the world in general that are always awakened by an exceptionally dark-hued and elegiac recording of the Schubert Quintet)

What I'm supposed to be doing is going to bed.

Anyway... Janine Jansen and friends. You told me it was good. It is. How's this?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: eljr on November 22, 2017, 04:55:39 AM

Yuuko Shiokawa / András Schiff
Bach, Busoni, Beethoven

Release Date November 17, 2017
Duration01:16:06
Genre
Classical
Styles
Chamber Music
Recording DateDecember, 2016
Recording Location
Auditorio Stelio Molo RSI, Lugano

You have nearly 700 posts.

In all honesty, I just went back through some of them to check for evidence that you are a human being, rather than a computer posting metadata. There's some possible evidence in a thread about Trump, although noting the stories about Facebook in the election campaign one should be careful...

We would actually be interested in your opinions, from time to time, about the music that you're listening to. Well, maybe I shouldn't speak for others. I would be interested at least sometimes knowing whether you liked or disliked what you heard.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: ørfeo on November 22, 2017, 05:13:37 AM
You have nearly 700 posts.

In all honesty, I just went back through some of them to check for evidence that you are a human being, rather than a computer posting metadata. There's some possible evidence in a thread about Trump, although noting the stories about Facebook in the election campaign one should be careful...

We would actually be interested in your opinions, from time to time, about the music that you're listening to. Well, maybe I shouldn't speak for others. I would be interested at least sometimes knowing whether you liked or disliked what you heard.

I disagree. Providing us with such much-needed and hard-to-find info as duration, genre and style is an invaluable service to our community, for which we should be eternally grateful.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 05:20:59 AM
I disagree. Providing us with such much-needed and hard-to-find info as duration, genre and style is an invaluable service to our community, for which we should be eternally grateful.  ;D

I didn't actually talk about removing the metadata, though.

Mirror Image

Mussorgsky's Songs & Dances of Death:

RIP, Mr. Hvorostovsky :(

Mirror Image

Now playing String Sextet, H 224:

I think it goes without saying how much I love this work. One of many of this composer's masterpieces IMHO.

aligreto

Holst....

A Fugal Overture: An interesting and lively work.
A Somerset Rhapsody: This is a work based on simple melodies but what I find most attractive about it are the harmonies and orchestration.
Scherzo: Another well scored work with more interesting harmonies.

North Star

Haydn
Symphony No. 63 in C major 'La Roxelane' (c. 1778-81)
The Academy of Ancient Music
Hogwood

[asin]B01BHFPU3S[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Roger Muraro's Benediction.  Muraro is even faster than Clidat, and he wastes no time in demonstrating that in the Moderato.  His playing is more expressive and finely controlled, though, and his playing is more passionate.  The rolled chords often get sort of buried in the mix, while the climax is quite powerful.  The transition to the Andante is abrupt, and Muraro plays the music very fast, robbing it of a fair chunk of its poetry.  The transition to the Piu sostenuto is also a bit abrupt, and he keeps up the swift pace.  Here, his rolled chords sound somewhat like a percussion instrument where honkin' big pads are used on the mallets.  The climax is fast and more powerful than in the first movement, and the right hand runs sound excellent, but here the accompaniment sounds a bit chunky.  Muraro slows way down as the end approaches, to generally good effect, but what came before sometimes sounded too rushed.  Not bad, but not great.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

cilgwyn

On now. This 2 cd set. Another of Pathé's wonderful complete recording of operas. This is about as close to the creative forge as it gets. Although,there are,of course,earlier recordings of arias and short extracts. A magnificent performance. The passion and intensity of the performances shines through! The sound quality is good enough to enjoy the performances,thanks to Marston's superb restoration. Astonishingly good,really! Also,unlike the original recipients of this recording,I don't have to keep winding up the playback equipment every few minutes to enjoy the performance. 28 discs and 56 sides. On the plus side you built up your arm muscles,a bit! Just do some winding with the left arm to make them look the same (You might need it after all those sides?!!). Like Popeye the Sailor Man!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 05:20:59 AM
We've had this discussion in the past, probably more than once. I find it much more interesting and helpful when someone posts an opinion about a disc. Others don't hold that view. However, I do like the additional information that eljr is posting.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 22, 2017, 06:26:28 AM
I do like the additional information that eljr is posting.

What specifically do you like about it?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2017, 06:31:10 AM
What specifically do you like about it?
The recording date and venue. I like it in Harry's blog too (and others who post it)- especially for certain types of music. If I had the booklet in front of me when I listen, I'd add it to my own posts too, but I rarely do and I am slow to download the ones online (though they are increasingly available, especially new releases).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Martinů
Sonatas for Cello and Piano
Mattia Zappa & Massimiliano Mainolfi

[asin]B004IWQWP8[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 22, 2017, 06:38:31 AM
The recording date and venue.

These might indeed be of interest to some people, although they can be easily found online: eljr, for instance, copy-pastes them from allmusic.com. But style? genre? duration? Hardly.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya