What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Copland's Suite from The Red Pony:

[asin]B000003FHI[/asin]

Really charming music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

aligreto

Mozart: Piano Sonata No. 17 K 576 [Landowska]...

I think that this is the only recording that I own of Landowska playing a piano.

kyjo

Enescu's Symphonie concertante for cello and orchestra:

[asin]B00RDKD9XU[/asin]

Unfortunately, I didn't find this to be a very interesting work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Spineur

Continuing with Pauline Viardot, a very successful 19th century mezzo-soprano who also composed.  She studied the piano with Franz Liszt. This is a nice CD of some of her russian melodies.

[asin]B007CMTNKW[/asin]

Dee Sharp

Remembering Hvorostovsky.

Shostakovich: Suite on Poems by Michelangelo Buonarroti. Hvorostovsky/Ilja

aligreto

Tchaikovsky: Rococo Variations [Tortelier]....

A fine, energetic performance of this work.

Parsifal

Quote from: kyjo on November 22, 2017, 07:51:35 AM
Enescu's Symphonie concertante for cello and orchestra:

[asin]B00RDKD9XU[/asin]

Unfortunately, I didn't find this to be a very interesting work.

By some coincidence, I listened to the same work (different recording, Foster conducting Monte Carlo on Erato). The orchestral tutti's were beautifully done, but the interaction of the cello and orchestra was flat. Turned it off about half way through.

Started on Suite No 3, but it was quickly apparent that I've already heard enough village music to last a lifetime. Listened to Suite No 2 instead (a neo-baroque work with Overture and dance movements). Interesting, if not great.

[asin]B0007TF11C[/asin]

The Symphonies, Nonet, Decet and Chamber symphony remain high on my list, but further exploration of Enescu doesn't seem to be turning up much other stuff that really resonates with me.

SonicMan46

Johann Baptist Vanhal (1739-1813) - String Quartets, Op. 6 w/ the Eybler Quartet; purchased as a MP3 album from Amazon after reading an excellent review in the most recent issue of Fanfare (attached for those interested).  I own about a dozen Vanhal CDs, including the two others shown below of SQs - some overlap w/ the Kubin Quartet recording (3 works).

Vanhal from his dates was a contemporary of Haydn and considered an important early developer of the 'String Quartet'; he apparently wrote about 100 along w/ 70+ Symphonies - these Op. 6 works are from around 1770 and all six quartets fit on a single CD, so each about 10 or so minutes in length - so not double counting the overlapping works, I now have just a dozen of Vanhal's SQs - need to put on the Camesina Quartett on period instruments - his later compositions in this genre w/ each lasting 20 minutes or so.  Dave :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spineur

Quote from: aligreto on November 22, 2017, 08:50:21 AM
Tchaikovsky: Rococo Variations [Tortelier]....

A fine, energetic performance of this work.
I dont have the recording but saw them perform it live.  I heard many details I had never heard before.  This is a fine memory I somehow have kept despite the many years...

Sergeant Rock

Vaughan Williams Symphony No.8 D minor, Previn conducting the LSO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Disc 4/4.

This set has music from 10 movies, all performed superbly by Frank Strobel and the RSO, Berlin. Schnittke is more successful than Shostakovich in creating genuinely original, intriguing, captivating numbers. Although I love Dsch's film music, and own half a dozen discs of it, I find Schnittke' genius more at home in the particular language of film music.

ritter

More music by der Sohn:

Siegfried Wagner's Symphony in C (original version), Not a rediscovered masterpiece by any means (too rhapsodic and formally uneven), but actually quite enjoyable...

From the big box:

[asin]B000050IU2[/asin]

Kontrapunctus

I mostly bought this for the Szymanowski Sonata No.2, and Debargue certainly doesn't disappoint! He plays with tremendous flair and virtuosity, seemingly unfazed by its colossal difficulties. The Schubert sounds good too, though he may be too much of an "interventionist" for some listeners. Excellent sound.

aligreto

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 1 [Kamenikova]....

This is a fine interpretation and performance of this work and I particularly liked the slow movement.

aligreto

Quote from: Spineur on November 22, 2017, 10:47:33 AM

I dont have the recording but saw them perform it live.  I heard many details I had never heard before.  This is a fine memory I somehow have kept despite the many years...

That is a nice memory to have.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Horn Concerto No.1 D major, Halstead, natural horn, Goodman conducting the Hanover Band

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ritter on November 22, 2017, 12:56:46 PM
More music by der Sohn:

Every time you delve into that box, I'm reminded I should continue my exploration of Siegfried's music...and then I forget a few minutes later (old age is such a joy  ;D ). What I have heard so far has been a delight and tomorrow I will explore more...unless I forget again. Remind me  ;)

Sarge

aligreto

Lutoslawski: Les Espaces du Sommeil [Lutoslawski]....