What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ørfeo on November 23, 2017, 03:20:15 AM
Streaming Nielsen Violin Concerto. I plan on buying this version eventually on the grounds of the Sibelius, so I might as well use it for my current Nielsen exploration.

[asin]B00077F94I[/asin]

A fine performance, indeed. You know if it's Nielsen, I have to chime in somehow. ;) I remember reading some people's opinion of this particular VC and some say "It's not as fine as the wind concertos" or whatever, but, for me, it's in a different world than those works and even though this is Nielsen still finding his 'footing' so to speak, people shouldn't hold this over his head. I quite like the work and have always enjoyed it.

Mirror Image

Speaking of Nielsen's VC, now playing:

Mahlerian

Debussy: Images #1
Gordon Fergus-Thompson
[asin]B0001Z2RSM[/asin]

Sessions: Piano Sonata No. 3
David Holzman
[asin]B00102F5PW[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

cilgwyn

On now. I love these fiery performances by Wyn Morris. Dubbed the Welsh Furtwangler,by one critic. His own fiery ,disagreeable temperament seems to have been his eventual undoing. Showered with praise by the critics;followed by a miserable decline into current obscurity. No one even mentions him here,in Wales! Giving a recording part to Maggie Thatcher might not have helped much,either?! (In Wales,anyway!). His Beethoven recordings have been reissued though (fairly,recently) and do seem to have some admirers. I've collected the original Pickwick/Imp cd's. I remember them being on the racks in WH Smiths and Woolworths,back in the late 80's,early to mid 90's.  I think his Mahler Fifth is fantastic,too! Looking at his photo;I get the feeling I wouldn't have wanted to get on the wrong side of him. He does have that 'Maestro',look,fair play!! ??? ;D

HIPster

Thanksgiving morning listening:

[asin]B000005WC0[/asin]

A sublime recording.  Recommended by Amazon's Gio.  Wonderful mix of music from the 12th to the 17th centuries.

[asin]B000JR0DRY[/asin]

Recommended by Que quite recently; I jumped on this after reading his review (the incredibly low-price factored in here too).

A winner in all regards.   ;)

Giving thanks to great music and GMG friends.  Cheers!  :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

aligreto

Wiren: Violin Concerto [Sparf/Comissiona]....

This is a first listen to this work for me. I find it to be  intriguing and exciting in the first movement. The middle movement is quite a lyrical, if somewhat austere, piece. The final movement I find to be quite a contrast in tone to the first two movements it being celebratory and joyous in nature. The orchestration is lean but appealing throughout.

aligreto

Quote from: HIPster on November 23, 2017, 08:05:39 AM

Have a great day Hipster  8)

Spineur

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 23, 2017, 05:52:34 AM
Roberta Mameli (Soprano), Luca Pianca (Lute)
Music of Claudio Monteverdi,  Giulio Caccini,  Barbara Strozzi,  Sigismondo D'India, Andrea Falconieri, Pietro P. Raimondo, Tarquinio Merula

[asin]B075GGPYYP[/asin]
How did you like it ?  I have seen favorable reviews, so I am curious.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 23, 2017, 05:24:11 AM
Interesting because my reaction to Marcon's Bach is quite similar to yours. Johanssen however I find more rewarding, even if his style is somewhat restrained. Try the triosonatas and the CD: Der junge Bach played on the Schnitger organ in Cappel.

Actually by coincidence I've been listening to his Neumeister Chorales at Walterhausen.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Whilst the turducken slowly roasts, some Bach, disc six.  While the mono recordings lack the bass heft of the later stereo set, the upper registers sound more than adequate.  This is one set of organ works that works as well through headphones as speakers.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Beauty Farm Bauldewein mass "en douleur et tristesse" - distinctive music, worth hearing - possibly more than once.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Mozart: Horn Concerto No. 1 [Brain/von Karajan]....

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 23, 2017, 05:24:11 AM
Interesting because my reaction to Marcon's Bach is quite similar to yours. Johanssen however I find more rewarding, even if his style is somewhat restrained. Try the triosonatas and the CD: Der junge Bach played on the Schnitger organ in Cappel.

Andrea Marcon & Bach is not the happiest of combinations... heavy and rigid....

Johanssen is much more to my liking, however. :)

Q

Que

Quote from: HIPster on November 23, 2017, 08:05:39 AM
Thanksgiving morning listening:

[asin]B000JR0DRY[/asin]

Recommended by Que quite recently; I jumped on this after reading his review (the incredibly low-price factored in here too).

A winner in all regards.   ;)

Great!  And  many thanks in return.  :)

Q

Que

After a busy day:

[asin]B00005K3PJ[/asin]
Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 23, 2017, 06:16:18 AM
A fine performance, indeed. You know if it's Nielsen, I have to chime in somehow. ;) I remember reading some people's opinion of this particular VC and some say "It's not as fine as the wind concertos" or whatever, but, for me, it's in a different world than those works and even though this is Nielsen still finding his 'footing' so to speak, people shouldn't hold this over his head.

Like faulting L'oiseau de feu for not being Petrushka!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Holst: Egdon Heath [Hickox]....

An evocative, sometimes forlorn, sometimes slightly menacing and disconcerting but always absorbing performance.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on November 23, 2017, 08:40:42 AM
After a busy day:

[asin]B00005K3PJ[/asin]
Q

Perfect program and interpreter for chilling out in the evening. Excellent!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2017, 09:30:18 PM
A pretty nice symphony, but not a favorite of mine from Casella. The Sinfonia (Symphony No. 3), his last symphony, is my favorite with an absolute heart-rendering slow movement, Andante molto moderato quasi adagio. This particular movement, for me, is one of the best things he has composed. The Alun Francis recording is the one to own. Noseda totally misses the point in this slow movement and rushes through some key moments that should have been treated more delicately.

Agreed, John. Casella's Third is his masterpiece and the Francis recording does it full justice.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: aligreto on November 23, 2017, 08:09:32 AM
Wiren: Violin Concerto [Sparf/Comissiona]....

This is a first listen to this work for me. I find it to be  intriguing and exciting in the first movement. The middle movement is quite a lyrical, if somewhat austere, piece. The final movement I find to be quite a contrast in tone to the first two movements it being celebratory and joyous in nature. The orchestration is lean but appealing throughout.

Glad you enjoyed it :) I especially love the startlingly angry outburst in the middle of the second movement which contrasts with the overall optimistic tone of the piece. The finale is life-affirmingly joyous indeed!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff