What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 23, 2017, 05:24:11 AM
Interesting because my reaction to Marcon's Bach is quite similar to yours. Johanssen however I find more rewarding, even if his style is somewhat restrained. Try the triosonatas and the CD: Der junge Bach played on the Schnitger organ in Cappel.

Actually, I enjoy Johanssen's disk of trio sonatas as one of my very favorites...  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

HIPster

Quote from: Gordo on November 23, 2017, 02:38:44 PM
Actually, I enjoy Johanssen's disk of trio sonatas as one of my very favorites...  :)

Hi Gordo!

Nice to see you posting.  Cheers!  :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Wakefield

Brahms: Symphonies Nos 1 & 2, Tragic Overture, Variations on a Theme of Haydn
LSO
Gergiev

Lovely first disk, engagingly energetic and impassioned.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on November 23, 2017, 02:48:03 PM
Hi Gordo!

Nice to see you posting.  Cheers!  :)

Hi, Dave!

Yes, it's an unusual activity these days!  ;D
-- Voltaire

Que

+1  Good to see you again..... :)

Q

Parsifal

I also enjoy that disc a great deal. When I mentioned it in the old days a got a thorough dressing down from bulldog. A shame he doesn't frequent these parts lately.

premont

With around 50 versions on my shelves (excluding arrangements for chamber ensemble) I find it increasingly difficult to assess which ones are my favorites, but I would roughly put him in the upper third.

Long time since your last visit Gordo, welcome bach.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 23, 2017, 12:51:49 PM
???

(Yeah, Autumn is awesome!)

I can't stand Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, but this doesn't mean I don't like the composer. The most popular works aren't always the best ones unless we're talking about Holst's The Planets. ;D

Mirror Image

Todd

Post-gluttony listening.  Disc two, Opp 49, 7, 10/1 & 10/2.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Scythian Suite, Op. 20
Alexander Nevsky, Op. 78

You did it

Varese - Ameriques

André

CD 6, Les heures persanes (1919). Beautiful music, highly experimental at times. The fascinating notes detail the exact places where Koechlin engages into polytonality, chords consisting of perfect fourths and fifths, atonality, twelve note areas, note repetitions as ostinatos, pedal notes/chords, parallel ninth chords, etc.

Considering the number of opuses Koechlin wrote during his very long life, it stands to reason that this set represents only a very partial account of his piano and chamber works. But, incomplete as it is, it's still a fascinating and indispensable compendium. I should receive the set of orchestral works soon. I can't wait!

Daverz

From the last several days

Brahms: Piano Trio No. 3
[asin]B07475YXWF[/asin]
Via Tidal.  Excellent big-boned reading.  I gather that this Yo-Yo fellow is some kind of pop star who dabbles in classical music.  He's not bad.

Enescu: Symphony No. 1
[asin]B00RDKD9XU[/asin]
A very fine Straussian work by a young genius.  24/96 download from eClassical.

Ben-Haim: Concerto Grosso and Symphony No. 2
[asin]B06XCSR14X[/asin]
Via Tidal.  Beautiful, lyrical works, among the best of mid-20th Century neo-Classicism.

You did it

Mirror Image

Sonatina for Two Violins & Piano, H 198 and then off to bed:

kishnevi

Quote from: André on November 23, 2017, 06:43:26 PM

CD 6, Les heures persanes (1919). Beautiful music, highly experimental at times. The fascinating notes detail the exact places where Koechlin engages into polytonality, chords consisting of perfect fourths and fifths, atonality, twelve note areas, note repetitions as ostinatos, pedal notes/chords, parallel ninth chords, etc.

Considering the number of opuses Koechlin wrote during his very long life, it stands to reason that this set represents only a very partial account of his piano and chamber works. But, incomplete as it is, it's still a fascinating and indispensable compendium. I should receive the set of orchestral works soon. I can't wait!

I have the Naxos recording of Heures Persanes....lives up to your description.
TD
CD 2
[asin]B008XRQS4E[/asin]

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on November 23, 2017, 06:55:04 PM
From the last several days

Brahms: Piano Trio No. 3
[asin]B07475YXWF[/asin]
Via Tidal.  Excellent big-boned reading.  I gather that this Yo-Yo fellow is some kind of pop star who dabbles in classical music.  He's not bad.

Enescu: Symphony No. 1
[asin]B00RDKD9XU[/asin]
A very fine Straussian work by a young genius.  24/96 download from eClassical.

Ben-Haim: Concerto Grosso and Symphony No. 2
[asin]B06XCSR14X[/asin]
Via Tidal.  Beautiful, lyrical works, among the best of mid-20th Century neo-Classicism.

Yes, that new Brahms Piano Trios album is a winner! I'm not always a fan of Yo-Yo's chamber recordings (he often plays too softly for my taste), but I have no reservations with the recording at hand.

I'm planning to listen to the Ondine recording of Enescu's First Symphony sometime soon. I remember listening to an old Marco Polo recording of it a while back and enjoying it quite a bit. That Ben-Haim disc looks great, too.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Brahms' SQ 3:

[asin]B01ITIIZ7E[/asin]

A beautiful work in an exceptionally thoughtful, warm-hearted performance. This, folks, is how Brahms should be played! The Belcea Quartet makes the venerated Amadeus Quartet sound cold and stoic by comparison, IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff