What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on November 24, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
Wiren: Triptych [Wedin]....

I really like this work with its conversational musical language and its orchestral scoring.

Sounds like a disc I'm going to have to pickup at some point. I recall enjoying Wiren's symphonies (on CPO).

Mookalafalas

Quote from: kyjo on November 24, 2017, 06:36:35 AM
Pounds the table! Hanson gets plenty of love around here from me, at least :) Fortunately, Naxos has reissued Schwarz's Hanson recordings with much better cover art!

I'm glad to hear it.  I'll look into getting the re-released set.
It's all good...

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Quote from: aligreto on November 24, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
Wiren: Triptych [Wedin]....

I really like this work with its conversational musical language and its orchestral scoring.

Couldn't find that on Tidal, but was able to find this one with the Cello Concerto:

[asin]B0000665BF[/asin]

...a really beautiful recording.

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 24, 2017, 04:30:26 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, Jeffrey!  What do you think?

Everything I don't like about Arnold: emotionally cold, and when despite himself he falls into a bit of lyricism, he hurries into the ugliestst dissonance he can find to kill it.

'Struth, Berg wrote two operas (more or less) and managed to be both lyrical and dissonant but no ugliness.  Why couldn't Schonberg do it?

kishnevi

TD
Recovering from working Black Friday with
Enescu and Papa

Symphony 3 and Rhapsody 1
In this re-listen I found more substance and more interest than the first go- through, but  I can't honestly say, "Guys, you are missing something if you haven't heard this"

Op. 54
As the lawbooks say, res ipsa loquiter.

André

This works superbly well as a program. Bayrakdarian in Il Tramonto is enchanting. Not being an impenitent respighian, this was just the ticket for me. Excellent recording.

You did it

Mirror Image

Daverz

Debussy: Khamma (orchestrated by Koechlin).  Gorgeous music and a very rich recording from Bis.

[asin]B071YTZBF3[/asin]

kyjo

Taking an all-too-infrequent venture into the Classical Era with Haydn's Symphony no. 82:

[asin]B000004280[/asin]

As per usual with Haydn symphonies, my favorite movement is the infectious, catchy finale.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Shostakovich's 5th with my hometown band:

[asin]B073FFSJ98[/asin]

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Que

Morning listening - just in:

[asin]B00005LWC6[/asin]
The little known and recorded Italian early Baroque composer Giovanni Valentini makes a strong impression here.
performances are excellent with good solo singing (strong & dramatic, some vibrato). And I didn't know that organist Stefano Molardi also conducted but here is... :)

Q

The new erato

Stravinsky's Agon (Ashkenazy) and The Flood (Knussen) from this box:

[asin]B013FFSG7U[/asin]

Cool and detached music for a Saturday morning.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2017, 04:55:27 PM
Sounds like a disc I'm going to have to pickup at some point. I recall enjoying Wiren's symphonies (on CPO).
His string quartets on the Daphne label are truly excellent as well:

[asin]B000BRP21Y[/asin]

You did it

The new erato

Now for some assorted Roussel suites from this very fine box:

[asin]B074R7QC9W[/asin]

Que

Newly in:

[asin]B00HFDKT8I[/asin]
Got this cheap at jpc, with modest expectations on the music by politician-composer Ferdinando Richardson.
As it turns out barely half of the disc is filled with his "complete works for harpsichord", which is quite a mouthful for 8 pieces...
Tsss tsss... Naxos.....  ::)

But then the good news: the music is wortwhile, Glen Wilson's is as per usual stellar, and I'm quite happy with the "fillers" by contemporary composers and earlier anonymous pieces.

Q

You did it