What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Sallinen: Symphony No. 7 [Rasilainen]....

This is a wonderful work that is full of contrasts of tone and orchestral scoring. I like the way that it goes from the full orchestral tutti to bleak, sparse scoring and back again which yields up a variety of dark and lighter moments of both tone and tension. It is a most interesting and engaging sound world.

Daverz

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on February 16, 2018, 12:27:41 PM
But it has a piano in it.   :(

?

That's often the case with piano music.

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 16, 2018, 07:54:21 AM
The piano version is better.

I have to admit I was flummoxed by an announcement about listening to Le Tombeau followed by nothing but orchestras.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spineur

Franck quartet in D major.  The first public success of César Franck.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ørfeo on February 16, 2018, 01:03:59 PM
I have to admit I was flummoxed by an announcement about listening to Le Tombeau followed by nothing but orchestras.

You are very easily flummoxed, evidently.

aligreto

JS Bach: English Suite No. 5 [Curtis]....

Draško

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 16, 2018, 07:51:29 AM
The real gem was Cluytens' recording of Pavane pour un infante defunte. No one these days would risk a french horn vibrato that prominent.

Funnily I just recently have uploaded to youtube my favorite version of orchestral Pavane. I think it might be the same principal hornist in both.

https://www.youtube.com/v/sGfNafyDHPA

Maurice Ravel - Pavane pour une infante defunte
Orchestre du Theatre des Champs-Elysees
Pedro de Freitas Branco (conducting)
Lucien Thevet (principal horn)

Paris, Theatre Apollo, 28.04.1953

North Star

Listening to this on Spotify, it was released last fall. I remember Jens raved about Sinkovsky's Vivaldi, but I don't think I've even seen this one mentioned. I'm only in the second movement of the first concerto (the D minor harpsichord concerto arrangement), but this is a special recording for sure.
[asin]B0754ZCJ5X[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Chopin: Nocturnes Nos. 9, 10 & 11 [Barenboim]....

André

From the Koechlin box of orchestral works

Bewitched.

king ubu

First spin - a montage of Schütz' "Historia der Auferstehung Jesu Christi" (SWV 50) and Schein's "Israels Brünnlein" (both works date from 1623), with a singer in the byzantine tradition singing the evangelist (Georges Abdallah is his name), instrumentations and stuff reworked by Simon-Pierre Bestion (who talks about the whole thing in an interview printed in the booklet) ... some French accents in the German pronunciation, but no matter what, this is fascinating!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 16, 2018, 03:29:12 AM
Ho capito!

I should start here, dear fellow:

Meets my needs handsomely, thank you! Even if not word specific...I was for instance trying to figure out  "Gluckliche Hand" as relating to gambling at cards. I now perceive this was an error.

kishnevi

TD
[asin]B07895ZX4Q[/asin]
Speculation prompted this purchase.
I like it...but I'm not sure I would recommend this to anyone.
Ritter thought the little he had heard of this composer suggested an epigone of Rodrigo.  The Spanish composer I thought I heard echoes of is De Falla, mixed in to the generic neoRomantic composers of the late 20th century. There is little to cue the listener in to the fact the two works date fron 2015 and 2011. I think a number of GMGers would be pleased with this CD, and a number of GMGers a bit bored.  I intend to get more of this composer, but the rest of you will just have to decide for yourselves.

kishnevi

Quote from: aligreto on February 16, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
Sallinen: Symphony No. 7 [Rasilainen]....

This is a wonderful work that is full of contrasts of tone and orchestral scoring. I like the way that it goes from the full orchestral tutti to bleak, sparse scoring and back again which yields up a variety of dark and lighter moments of both tone and tension. It is a most interesting and engaging sound world.

I've given that set one listen, and was rather bored by it. Glad to see your positive reaction, since it gives me a reason to try a second listen.

Undersea

[asin]B007N0SVDS[/asin]

Nielsen: String Quartet #2 In F Minor, Op. 5, FS 11 - (Young) Danish Quartet

Very pleased with this new addition to my collection.

[asin]B00005MIZT[/asin]

Sibelius: King Christian #2 Suite, Op. 27 - Paavo Berglund: Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra

Beautiful work - A favourite from Sibelius.

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 16, 2018, 01:08:57 PM
You are very easily flummoxed, evidently.

I just don't tend to remember the orchestral version of Le Tombeau de Couperin exists. I see little point in it.

Thread Duty: Part 1 of Prokofiev's War and Peace. I don't think I'll manage the whole thing in one day.

[asin]B00000414A[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya