What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Rachmaninov's gorgeous second symphony in a great performance from Rozhdestvensky and the LSO.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mahlerian

Beethoven: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Symphony No. 4 in B-flat major
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Bernstein
[asin]B073VFGBFX[/asin]

My local library had this set, with the blu-ray, so I was interested in hearing what a few more channels could do in this music.  The sound still feels of its time, but I do hear extra presence from the surround mix.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

aligreto

Rameau: Pieces de clavecin en concerts, Premier Concert [Rousset/Terakado/Uemura]

aligreto

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 21, 2018, 06:23:36 AM
Ha!

hahahahahahahaha!

[catching breath]

Haha...

Yes, very naive of me; I know this now but I thought it might me amusing to admit it  ;D

aligreto

Zyman: Concierto para arpa, flauta y orquesta [Echenique]

This is a wonderful work, atmospheric, exciting and always beguiling. The musical language is inventive, colourful and very accessible. The music is lyrical and always engaging and appealing.

Mandryka

Leonhardt plays his transcription of BWV 1005. I got this out after listening to Rübsam's transcription and performance of the same violin sonata, and after reading some remarks of Leonhardt on "homophonie cachée" in his monograph on AoF.

I wonder if Rübsam would say that Leonhardt's too quick, that he just wants to impress with virtuosity rather than make us feel.

Does anyone know any other transcriptions of this violin music for keyboard? Did Busoni do the lot, or just the chaconne? Reger? Brahms?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sergeant Rock

Langgaard Symphony No.6, Stupel conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

Sergeant Rock

Langgaard Symphony No.4 "Fall of the Leaf"

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 21, 2018, 08:34:06 AM
Leonhardt plays his transcription of BWV 1005. I got this out after listening to Rübsam's transcription and performance of the same violin sonata, and after reading some remarks of Leonhardt on "homophonie cachée" in his monograph on AoF.

I wonder if Rübsam would say that Leonhardt's too quick, that he just wants to impress with virtuosity rather than make us feel.

Maybe Rübsam is right. However I think he is a little too slow in the two movements titled Presto (fourth movement of sonata 1 and the double to the courante of partita 1). These two movements are being too much deprived of their innate affect IMO. But generally I am very moved by Rübsam's arrangements and interpretation - more moved than by Leonhardt's,

Quote from: Mandryka
Does anyone know any other transcriptions of this violin music for keyboard? Did Busoni do the lot, or just the chaconne? Reger? Brahms?

I thought you knew Winsome Evans' and Robert Hill's arrangements. Bob van Asperen has also arranged a few of the violin pieces for harpsichord.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

North Star

Chopin
Preludes, Op. 28
Tatiana Shebanova (Erard, 1849)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 21, 2018, 10:38:29 AM

I thought you knew Winsome Evans' and Robert Hill's arrangements. Bob van Asperen has also arranged a few of the violin pieces for harpsichord.

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking  . . .
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Langgaard: Antikrist, Act 2 [Dausgaard]

This is a first listen to this work for me. There is some simply wonderful music in this work and I really like it, its atmosphere, its musical language, its tension and its drama. It is a powerful work given a compelling performance here from all concerned and the work, and this performance, is warmly recommended.

Mahlerian

Stravinsky: Symphony in C
Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, cond. Saraste
[asin]B00005UVAQ[/asin]

An unusually slow interpretation of one of the defining works of Stravinsky's middle period.  Not badly played at all, but I would prefer a little more rhythmic zest.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 16, 2018, 10:08:32 PM

This is a transcription for four celli of most of Bach's Orgelbüchlein.

Well, sometimes I think the most important purpose of transcriptions is to make it possible for other musicians to play the music, particularly when the transcription (or performance) adds so little of interest compared to the original as here. And these four musicians go wrong with the affects of the pieces in question very often, and little by little some disturbing sameness also sneaks in. The style of playing is a bit oldfashioned. I am afraid that there was very little for me to enjoy.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Zeus

Le Rossignol Eperdu
Billy Eidi
Timpani

[asin] B00NO5BVEC[/asin]
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

aligreto

Soler: Harpsichord Sonatas Nos. 35 & 116 [Rowland]

listener

hot day, but I feel more organized and can plan these three with recognizable composers but unfamiliar works
BRITTEN: Portsmouth Town    BBC S.O.  Grant Llewellyn, cond..
Nocturne    BBC National O. of Wales   Douglas Bostock, cond.  Andrew Kennedy tenor
Grace WILLIAMS:  Ballads for Orchestra    BBC S.O.  Baldur Brönnimam cond.

CHADWICK: Symphonic Sketches   MacDOWELL: Suite for Large Orchestra
Johann F. PETER:  SInfonia in g
Eastman-Rochester O.      Howard  Hanson cond.

PROKOFIEV: Zdravitsa op. 85   
TCHAIKOWSKY; Ode to Joy    Romeo and Juliet Overture – original version
London Philharmonic      Derek Gleeson cond.
Geoffrey Mitchell Choir (Zdravitsa)   London Phil.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."