What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 22, 2018, 07:41:00 AM
Mozart, WA - String & Clarinet Quintets w/ the Talich Quartet; also own the string quintets w/ the Nash Ensemble - have not done much comparison; both are older sets in my collection - have not explored any more recent releases - suggestions?  Dave :)

P.S. PDF attached w/ a Distler review (10/10) for those who may like his comments - ;)

I have that set and think it very fine. Other recommendations would be The Nash Ensemble and the Griller String Quartet + Primrose

They both offer different interpretations to the Talich Quartet but equally as valid. I am sure that you will sample to check them out.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2018, 07:47:15 AM
Yup, there it is: (picture found on mdt)

Q
And cheaper than 28 euros.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: aligreto on July 21, 2018, 11:12:51 AM
Langgaard: Antikrist, Act 2 [Dausgaard]

This is a first listen to this work for me. There is some simply wonderful music in this work and I really like it, its atmosphere, its musical language, its tension and its drama. It is a powerful work given a compelling performance here from all concerned and the work, and this performance, is warmly recommended.

Excellent!

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on July 22, 2018, 10:27:11 AM
And cheaper than 28 euros.

The price will go down when the release will be eminent. That is almost always the case.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on July 22, 2018, 09:26:17 AM
I have that set and think it very fine. Other recommendations would be The Nash Ensemble and the Griller String Quartet + Primrose

They both offer different interpretations to the Talich Quartet but equally as valid. I am sure that you will sample to check them out.

Hi Aligreto - thanks for the comments above - I already own the Nash Ensemble and enjoy - will check Amazon today to see what other sets are available?  Dave :)

aligreto

Schubert: 4 Impromptus D899 [Orkis]

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 22, 2018, 12:55:58 PM
Hi Aligreto - thanks for the comments above - I already own the Nash Ensemble and enjoy - will check Amazon today to see what other sets are available?  Dave :)

Cheers Dave. I will be interested to see the results of your search. Best of luck. Wonderful music BTW  8)

Zeus

Luzzaschi: Concerto delle Dame
La Venexiana, Claudio Cavina
Glossa

[asin] B005RYGTQI[/asin]

First listen, and I'm in love!

(BTW – fawning reviews at amazon by Gio and Stephen Midgley)
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

North Star

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 22, 2018, 12:55:58 PM
This isn't quite complete, but a splendid PI set nonetheless.
[asin]B000002ZEB[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SymphonicAddict

Sessions - Symphonies Nrs. 3-5

This is not my kind of music. Atonal/serial/dodecaphonic? I don't know. All in all, the music doesn't appeal to me at all.

Mahlerian

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 22, 2018, 03:06:32 PM

This is not my kind of music. Atonal/serial/dodecaphonic? I don't know. All in all, the music doesn't appeal to me at all.

Roger Sessions's later works (from the 50s on, I think?) use an adaptation of dodecophonic technique, but he didn't see any sense in the term atonal and certainly didn't think of his own music that way.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Kontrapunctus

Extremely impetuous at times...not for the faint of heart!

Zeus

Di Guerra e di Pace - Renaissance Music for Winds & Percussion
La Pifarescha
Glossa

[asin] B01DPUIWR4[/asin]

Mostly robust outdoorsy, at times martial music.  I'm not always a fan of "wind band" music, but this was fine / good.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

André

The Reger, Dvorak and Strauss discs from the Keilberth box are excellent. My ears perked at details of phrasing I had never noticed in the New World.

Zeus

Respighi: Metamorphoseon, etc
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège, John Neschling
BIS

[asin] B00YJLARW2[/asin]

Daverz

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 22, 2018, 03:06:32 PM

Perhaps give it chance later when you can set aside expectations?  I often find that I'm more receptive to music when I can forget any preconceptions I might have had about it.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Daverz on July 22, 2018, 05:59:25 PM
Perhaps give it chance later when you can set aside expectations?  I often find that I'm more receptive to music when I can forget any preconceptions I might have had about it.

Sure, it's a possibility I'll contemplate in the future. About the first two I don't have any complaint.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Bubbles on July 22, 2018, 05:47:09 PM
Respighi: Metamorphoseon, etc
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège, John Neschling
BIS

[asin] B00YJLARW2[/asin]

A stupendous work, yet I haven't listened to that recording.