What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 05, 2018, 02:29:51 PM
[asin]B07DKYD41D[/asin]

I can't find the CD ASIN number so the download will have to do......

I have no idea what disc you're linking to – and I have to assume no one else does either.  All I see is "Image Unavailable".

I find with Amazon that if I can't find the CD (that is, if I can only find the digital download), I just open up the artwork, get it's web address, then paste it in as a picture.  Others may have other tricks....

Hope this helps.  :)
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Zeus

The Legacy of Petrus Alamire
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel
Cypres

[asin] B013F6KSZ2[/asin]
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

TheGSMoeller

Haydn: Symphony No. 104 'London'
Harnoncourt / RCO

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 05, 2018, 02:29:51 PM
Karel Ancerl was such a consistently fine conductor and not *just* of Czech music.  I think the old Supraphon LP's suffered from poor vinyl and pressing which rather limited the impact.  On CD so many of these performances are revealed in all their substantial glory.  This one is a case in point;

[asin]B07DKYD41D[/asin]

I can't find the CD ASIN number so the download will have to do......

It's Alexander Nevsky and The Rite of Spring.  Here is the download on the UK site:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prokofjev-Alexander-Nevsky-Stravinsky-Printemps/dp/B07DKYD41D

The pieces are on 2 different CDs in the Ancerl Gold series:

[asin] B0001NPU4C[/asin]

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7948053--stravinsky-petrushka-the-rite-of-spring

Zeus

Whoa!  Did the correct picture come through for you on your browser?  Or did you simply know what he was referring to?

Just curious, really.

Dancing Divertimentian

Beethoven, piano sonata op.31/1. Guy. This is turning into one of the finest traversals of the sonatas around, with sonics to die for...

[asin]B007CMTNIY[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

TheGSMoeller

Haydn: Symphony No. 80
Rattle / BPO
From a live concert in June 2015

I purchased a 7-day ticket to the Berlin Phil digital concert hall. Mainly because I was in the mood to watch some live performances of Haydn, which I don't have many opportunities for.

kyjo

Mahler - Symphony no. 8:

[asin]B000E6EGYQ[/asin]

WOW! It had been ages since I'd listened to this work, and I'd forgot how amazing it is! Many have dubbed it the weakest of the Mahler symphonies - which is perhaps understandable, as all of them are masterworks - and it very well may be, but it's certainly not my least favorite of the cycle! In contrast to the neurotic, darkly psychological nature of some of Mahler's other symphonies, the 8th radiates shafts of glorious light, though it isn't without its darker moments (e.g. the haunting opening to Part II). Part I contains some really ecstatic, thrilling music, and Part II contains some of Mahler's most heavenly music (wonderful use of harps, celesta, and piano). The final Chorus mysticus is one of the greatest gradual crescendos ever penned, and it ends in a blaze of glory. The performance by Solti and Co. is simply magnificent beyond words - I was particularly taken by the wonderfully heroic singing of Rene Kollo.

Pelēcis - Nevertheless (Concerto for violin, piano, and strings) (Kremer/Sacharov/Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie)

[asin]B000005823[/asin]

This was an unexpectedly beautiful discovery (certainly much more so than that cover art)! Georgs Pelēcis' style has been described as "new consonant music" with "an amazingly clear positive spirit". In its slower sections, this work perhaps recalls the "holy minimalists", but the faster, joyous sections are unique to Pelēcis' radiant style.

Chopin - 4 Scherzi:

[asin]B00000IIXP[/asin]

I find some of Chopin's music too "flowery" and "cutesy" for my taste, but that's certainly not the case with his four stunningly imaginative and dramatic scherzi. I particularly love no. 3 with its chorale-like middle section containing those unforgettable downward "flutters" of notes. Pogorelich's performances are impetuous, mercurial, and anything but boring.

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no. 3:

[asin]B00000427L[/asin]

This epic concerto may lack some of the unforgettable melodies of its predecessor, but I still love it, of course. Rachmaninoff's melodies and harmonies have such a unique way of touching the heart. And let's not forget his imaginative way with rhythm, too, especially in the finale! Ashkenazy, Previn, and the LSO have this music in their blood.

Schoenberg - Cello Concerto (after Monn's Concerto in D major for harpsichord):

[asin]B00000262R[/asin]

This is such a delightfully weird, quirky work - I wonder how on earth Schoenberg came up with the idea to write a cello concerto based on a Baroque harpsichord concerto? It's quite tonal, with tastefully placed dissonances. My favorite aspect of the work is its brilliantly colorful and wacky percussion part - witness that bass drum thwack at the end of the first movement. There's really nothing else like this in the repertoire!  :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: Bubbles on August 05, 2018, 05:05:50 PM
Whoa!  Did the correct picture come through for you on your browser?  Or did you simply know what he was referring to?

Just curious, really.

I picked out the ASIN from the URL and googled it.

Mahlerian

Quote from: kyjo on August 05, 2018, 06:38:26 PM
Mahler - Symphony no. 8:

[asin]B000E6EGYQ[/asin]

WOW! It had been ages since I'd listened to this work, and I'd forgot how amazing it is! Many have dubbed it the weakest of the Mahler symphonies - which is perhaps understandable, as all of them are masterworks - and it very well may be, but it's certainly not my least favorite of the cycle! In contrast to the neurotic, darkly psychological nature of some of Mahler's other symphonies, the 8th radiates shafts of glorious light, though it isn't without its darker moments (e.g. the haunting opening to Part II). Part I contains some really ecstatic, thrilling music, and Part II contains some of Mahler's most heavenly music (wonderful use of harps, celesta, and piano). The final Chorus mysticus is one of the greatest gradual crescendos ever penned, and it ends in a blaze of glory. The performance by Solti and Co. is simply magnificent beyond words - I was particularly taken by the wonderfully heroic singing of Rene Kollo.

Personally I think the First and Second, while excellent works in their own right, are nowhere near as good as any of the later symphonies.  That's not an especially popular opinion, though.

Quote from: kyjo on August 05, 2018, 06:38:26 PMSchoenberg - Cello Concerto (after Monn's Concerto in D major for harpsichord):

[asin]B00000262R[/asin]

This is such a delightfully weird, quirky work - I wonder how on earth Schoenberg came up with the idea to write a cello concerto based on a Baroque harpsichord concerto? It's quite tonal, with tastefully placed dissonances. My favorite aspect of the work is its brilliantly colorful and wacky percussion part - witness that bass drum thwack at the end of the first movement. There's really nothing else like this in the repertoire!  :D

If you haven't, check out the Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra, similarly "adapted" from a Handel Concerto Grosso.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Zeus

Quote from: Daverz on August 05, 2018, 06:46:21 PM
I picked out the ASIN from the URL and googled it.

Cool beans!  That was clever!

Dancing Divertimentian

Schubert's last piano sonata, D960. Pennetier. Now THIS is how the first movement should go...sloooow...all repeats...true molto moderato. Too many pianists are apt take this movement at an almost allegretto pace, I guess out of fear losing steam. No such problems here. 24+ minutes of pure bliss. 

[asin]B000027PZS[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Goldberg Variations on clavichord w/ Michael Tsalka - a MP3 Amazon purchase tonight based on comments in the 'purchase consideration' thread - my only other clavichord performance of these Bach works is w/ Tuma - need to do some comparisons - the clavichord sound is quite 'up front' and louder than expected but enjoying (burned a CD-R and listening on my den stereo, so excellent sound) - love these old KB instruments.  Dave :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 05, 2018, 07:01:51 PM
Personally I think the First and Second, while excellent works in their own right, are nowhere near as good as any of the later symphonies.  That's not an especially popular opinion, though.

If you haven't, check out the Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra, similarly "adapted" from a Handel Concerto Grosso.

That's a refreshing change of opinion regarding Mahler's 1st and 2nd! While I enjoy them very much, I don't place them on a pedestal like many others do.

And yes, the Schoenberg Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra has been on my "to-listen" list for quite some time. Thanks for reminding me about it!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

amw

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 05, 2018, 07:27:17 PM
Schubert's last piano sonata, D960. Pennetier. Now THIS is how the first movement should go...sloooow...all repeats...true molto moderato. Too many pianists are apt take this movement at an almost allegretto pace, I guess out of fear losing steam. No such problems here. 24+ minutes of pure bliss. 
Technically it's molto moderato in 2, rather than in 4, ie closer to minim = 69 than crotchet = 69.... basically Schnabel's tempo rather than Richter's. 24 minutes is closer to an adagio. But certainly can be quite enjoyable nonetheless >.>

aligreto

Vinci: 4 arias from Catone in Utica

In che t'offende
So che godendo vai
Chi un dolce amor condanna
Quell'amor che poco accende

Interesting enough but neither top flight music nor performances. These are slow arias and I find three of them to be over long which may indicate that the complete opera moves along slowly; perhaps, in my ignorance of this work, I am incorrect in this regard.

aligreto

Sor: Fantaisie Elégiaque Op. 59 [Goluses]

Madiel

Prokofiev, Symphony No.6

[asin]B015HNXTTI[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 05, 2018, 05:36:48 PM
Haydn: Symphony No. 80
Rattle / BPO
From a live concert in June 2015

I purchased a 7-day ticket to the Berlin Phil digital concert hall. Mainly because I was in the mood to watch some live performances of Haydn, which I don't have many opportunities for.

Well played, sir!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on August 05, 2018, 06:38:26 PM
Schoenberg - Cello Concerto (after Monn's Concerto in D major for harpsichord):

[asin]B00000262R[/asin]

Great fun!  Don't tell the people who are fond to believe that Schoenberg had no sense of humor  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot