What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Symphony Nr. 3 Palo Duro Canyon
Jones gives us an epic depiction in such colourful way of this landscape, even capturing the cooling wind, and eventually feeling it.

Another major discovery for today.

Symphony Nr. 1
You can't ask for anything more cheerful than this (perhaps his 2nd symphony would be the option), excepting the 2nd movement with its longing moments. Is it me or am I hearing the main melody from Fucik's Donausagen Waltz in the 1st movement?

Zeus

Fortuna Desperata: Gothic & Renaissance Organ Music
Daniel Beilschmidt et al.
Genuin

[asin] B01MRZNVHV[/asin]

I'm very pleased with this.  I didn't think I liked organ music much, but this disc could convert me.  The sound is amazing.  The tracks will bells and/or voice are particularly enjoyable.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Que

Quote from: Bubbles on August 06, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
Genuin

[asin] B01MRZNVHV[/asin]

I'm very pleased with this.  I didn't think I liked organ music much, but this disc could convert me.  The sound is amazing.  The tracks will bells and/or voice are particularly enjoyable.

I avoided organ musik for years.... But believe me: once you're in, you're in.... :D

Pretty disk BTW, new to me!  :)

Q

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on August 06, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
There's nothing like a well explained reasoning.

Well done.

Considering the platitude you presented us:

QuoteTrue happiness writes very few notes because is busy being happy.

Tommy rot.  True happiness writes a great deal, to express and share that happiness.

How shall we try which of our assertions is true?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 07, 2018, 12:57:05 AM
I avoided organ musik for years.... But believe me: once you're in, you're in.... :D

Q

Isn't that the truth! 0:)
My love for this instrument started when I learned to play on it, almost 45 years ago.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2018, 01:13:55 AM

It did indeed seem to me that the thing you were responding to was pure assertion.

For my part, I cannot see that number of notes is any kind of useful metric.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

cilgwyn

On now,in very good transfers. I remember reading about this radio production,in the booklet with the abridged Hyperion remake,and thinking,"If they ever release it on cd,I'll buy it!" To my surprise,that wish was fulfilled far sooner than I expected! (Not long afterwards!). A cd release of the BBC studio recording of The Perfect Fool opera (or a studio recording?) next,please!! ;D

Mandryka

Quote from: Bubbles on August 06, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
Genuin

[asin] B01MRZNVHV[/asin]

I wonder what you will make of this

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2018, 02:59:29 AM
I wonder what you will make of this

That is one of my favourites CD'S from Lena Jacobson, as most of her other recordings by the way.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on August 07, 2018, 03:02:52 AM
That is one of my favourites CD'S from Lena Jacobson, as most of her other recordings by the way.

Her Bach has been rereleased as a high quality download quite recently, I keep meaning to check it out properly

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on August 07, 2018, 02:32:13 AM
It did indeed seem to me that the thing you were responding to was pure assertion.

For my part, I cannot see that number of notes is any kind of useful metric.

By gum, you may be right, at that  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2018, 03:10:16 AM
Her Bach has been rereleased as a high quality download quite recently, I keep meaning to check it out properly

I don't do downloads, but as soon as it gets on the shiny discs it will be ordered.
If you have downloaded and listened to it, I for one would be very interested in your thoughts.

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on August 07, 2018, 01:32:40 AM
Isn't that the truth! 0:)
My love for this instrument started when I learned to play on it, almost 45 years ago.

I don't think I realized that you were an organ student, Harry.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Debussy / Ravel

A very fine disc,the Quartetto Italiano has the right touch in my opinion.

Harry

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2018, 03:31:17 AM
I don't think I realized that you were an organ student, Harry.

Well normally I do not talk about it.
I learned to play on it, and still do on occasion, mostly on small and old instruments.
I am part of a group that regularly goes around in the province, to keep the organs in playing condition.
Many of them are not played on, if not by us.

Wakefield

Early Italian Madrigals [Frühe italienische Madrigale]
[Arcadelt, Bernardi, Galilei, Gardano, Hoyoui, Mancinus, Ortiz, De Rore, Ruffo, Spadi, Vecchi, Verdelot]
SEON
Cappella Antiqua München
Frans Brüggen, Gustav Leonhardt, Michael Schäffer, Wieland Kuijken, Elisabeth Ruhland
Konrad Ruhland, conductor
[Rec. 1976-77]

[asin]B000024712[/asin]

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Madiel

Mendelssohn, Psalm 42, op.42

[asin]B000ZA32SC[/asin]
Streaming this and rather enjoying it. And I also had a favourable impression of Mendelssohn's setting of Psalm 115 (op.31). So I'm beginning to think this is a genre he does rather well in.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wakefield

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2018, 01:13:55 AM
Well done.

Considering the platitude you presented us:

Tommy rot.  True happiness writes a great deal, to express and share that happiness.

I would never discard a thought just for being prosaic. Life itself is quite prosaic and in my experience happiness isn't the preferred material in the arts. Just look around. Musicians, writers, movie directors, painters. Does creation make people happy? Sure, but I'm talking about the raw material, not about the process or the result.  :)   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Quote from: Gordo on August 07, 2018, 04:31:22 AM
I would never discard a thought just for being prosaic. Life itself is quite prosaic and in my experience happiness isn't the preferred material in the arts. Just look around. Musicians, writers, movie directors, painters. Does creation make people happy? Sure, but I'm talking about the raw material, not about the process or the result.  :)   

Bach's music seems to me to be often an expression of confidence and joy in the nobility of the human condition, though this may just be a reflection of the performances I enjoy. I'm listening right now to the 5th keyboard partita, which is a good example I think.