Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Babbitt: Reflections for piano and tape
Robert Miller
[asin]B0000030IM[/asin]

Very elegant yet playful.

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"
Edith Mathis, Doris Soffel, London Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, cond. Tennstedt
[asin]B004OGDW4M[/asin]

Not a favorite recording of this work (Tennstedt's live version, for one, is far more electric), but a dedicated one all the same, and that final climax is overwhelming in all but the worst versions.  The Urlicht is unfortunately too slow (and extremely quiet!), but the London Philharmonic play well and Tennstedt guides the work well through its many possible pitfalls.

Mahler's most popular symphony is a fascinating mongrel of a work, though no one save perhaps the composer himself could have imagined it would become a warhorse some 50-60 years after his death (and around 80 after its composition!).
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

André

After Abbado's overcooked macaroni version, Langrée's HIP provides a total contrast, with a strong forward impetus, forceful accents, lively tempi in the fugues, slashing attacks and anguished wailing in the Gratias and Qui tollis, etc. I do not agree with everything, but everything has meaning and purpose.

SonicMan46

Clementi, Muzio (1752-1832) - Symphonies, Nos. 1-4 w/ Ivor Bolton & Mozarteumorchester Salzburg - new arrival and will 'cull out' my older set w/ Claudio Scimone (never like the sound on those performances) - Clementi is thought to have composed 6 symphonies, but only 4 were apparently 'reconstructed' in the 1970s by Pietro Spada; curiously, there is an ASV 2-CD set w/ the 4 numbered symphonies + 2 Op. 18 symphonies from 1787 (see last 2 pics below); also, Bamert has recorded these Op. 18 works - BUT, for those interested, reviews are attached of the Bolton & Scimone performances.  Dave :)

André

I have the ASV set. Let us know what you think of the Boltons, Dave!

Yet another K 427, a private tape of a 1990 Munich Phil performance by Celibidache. This was sent to me long ago by our dear Lisbeth, one of the great souls and minds of GMG.

The sound is surprisingly good despite some audible knob tweaks and sniffs from the person holding the recording device. It's a powerful interpretation, leisurely in tempo but alive to the devotional aspects of the work. Celi sure knew what to do with these trombones ! Excellent singing.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 13, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
Clementi, Muzio (1752-1832) - Symphonies, Nos. 1-4 w/ Ivor Bolton & Mozarteumorchester Salzburg - new arrival and will 'cull out' my older set w/ Claudio Scimone (never like the sound on those performances) - Clementi is thought to have composed 6 symphonies, but only 4 were apparently 'reconstructed' in the 1970s by Pietro Spada; curiously, there is an ASV 2-CD set w/ the 4 numbered symphonies + 2 Op. 18 symphonies from 1787 (see last 2 pics below); also, Bamert has recorded these Op. 18 works - BUT, for those interested, reviews are attached of the Bolton & Scimone performances.  Dave :)

I have very good memories of those symphonies. I remember enjoying them. I have the Scimone twofer but I don't have any problem with the sound.

kyjo

Beethoven - Piano Concerto no. 2:

[asin]B000N60H9K[/asin]

This is Beethoven's weakest concerto IMO (most seem to think it's the Triple Concerto, but I strongly disagree). Nevertheless, it's still fine music and Bronfman and Tonhalle Orchestra under Zinman really make it sparkle.

Jones - Symphony no. 3 Palo Duro Canyon:

[asin]B001NZA056[/asin]

Wow! This is an extraordinary work and certainly one of the most impressive works I've heard by a contemporary American composer. Opening with pre-recorded sounds of wind blowing over the canyon, it expands into a kaleidoscopically colorful and powerful depiction of the grandeur of the canyon. Jones studied under Hanson, and there is indeed a lovely Hanson-esque "big tune" at the center of the work. This is one of those contemporary works which manages to be unique yet wholly accessible at the same time - there is nothing cliché or gimmicky here. I'm rather surprised that Jones isn't better known here in the states - and the majority of his output remains unrecorded. Give us more, Naxos!

Brahms - Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel:

[asin]B0000041AH[/asin]

Brahms proves himself to be a master of both variation and fugal writing here - and while it may lack a bit of the warmth of Brahms' other music, it is certainly a really impressive composition. The final fugue is breathtaking and reaches a magnificent peroration at the end. Kovacevich gives an eloquent and intelligent performance.

Scriabin - Symphony no. 3 Le Divin Poème:

[asin]B000040OX4[/asin]

A great wallow of a work, tied together by a memorable motto theme and surging in waves to numerous ecstatic climaxes. I feel that it's almost too much of a good thing, and there isn't much by way of contrast over the 45-minute course of the work. So, it's actually my least favorite of the Scriabin symphonies, though still good stuff.

Jongen - Symphonie Concertante for organ and orchestra:

[asin]B000003CTA[/asin]

There's really nothing better in life than cranking this in the car at full blast!  :D It's hard to find many things in the repertoire that top the sheer magnificence of the outer movements (particularly that final Toccata), and the inner movements have lovely, more intimate passages to contrast. It's hard to imagine a better performance and recording than this!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

lisa needs braces

Currently...

And over two days (finished a few hours ago):

I pull out this set every couple of years and I'm always surprised how fun these works are. Only set of Haydn quartets in my small collection of CDs...

NikF

Gade: Symphony No. 3 - Schonwandt/Collegium Musicum Copenhagen.

[asin]B000024OCR[/asin]

The only Gade I know comes courtesy of the three act ballet 'Et folkesagn (at least, I think he wrote the majority of the music?) so he's relatively unfamiliar to me.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Harry

German 18th Century Lute music.
"Influences"
CD 4.
Composers: David Kellner, Wolff Jakob Lauffensteiner, Johann Michael Kuhnel, Bernhard Joachim Hagen, Silvius Leopold Weiss.
Alberto Crugnola, Lute.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

Beethoven: Triple Concerto
Oistrakh (violin), Richter (piano), Rostropovich (cello)
Berlin PO/Karajan

Traverso

Ligeti

1. Lontano 
  2. Atmosphères 
  3. Apparitions : I Lento 
  4. Apparitions : II Agitato 
  5. San Francisco Polyphony 
  6. Romanian Concerto : I Andantino 
  7. Romanian Concerto : II Allegro vivace 
  8. Romanian Concerto : III Adagio, ma non troppo 
  9. Romanian Concerto : IV Molto vivace 

Marc

Bram Beekman playing Bach, a.o. BWV 565 and Orgelbüchlein.

Schitger (FC sr.) organs in Zwolle and Vollenhove, NL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRwhS3S9Pg

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 14, 2018, 03:40:06 AM
Beethoven: Triple Concerto
Oistrakh (violin), Richter (piano), Rostropovich (cello)
Berlin PO/Karajan

Classic
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 14, 2018, 04:16:44 AM
Classic

Indeed,also the stories around this recording.

(Richter himself said of it: "It's a dreadful recording and I disown it utterly... Battle lines were drawn up with Karajan and Rostropovich on the one side and Oistrakh and me on the other... Suddenly Karajan decided that everything was fine and that the recording was finished. I demanded an extra take. 'No, no,' he replied, 'we haven't got time, we've still got to do the photographs.' To him, this was more important than the recording. And what a nauseating photograph it is, with him posing artfully and the rest of us grinning like idiots.")

André

Quote from: Draško on August 14, 2018, 02:22:16 AM

Hi Milos! Which one do you prefer btw Neumann and Behlolavek? Are they much different from one another ?

JCBuckley

Spending a week with Hildegard

Traverso