What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Gombert

Is there something to be said otherwise that this is just beautiful.
CD 10

Karl Henning

D. Scarlatti
divers Sonatas
Babayan
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Ligeti - Lontano
From the BBC proms (no.28) - National Youth Orchestra of G.B.
Olivier

Maestro267

Schnittke: Ritual; Passacaglia
Malmö SO/Segerstam

Papy Oli

Mendelssohn - Piano concerto no.1 in G minor
Bertrand Chamayou (from the BBC proms)
Olivier

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony No. 9 [von Karajan]

I always found this to be a wonderful overall interpretation and performance. The BPO strings are always self recommending but the brass and woodwinds also shine for me here. The first and final movements in particular are exquisitely played.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 13, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
Clementi, Muzio (1752-1832) - Symphonies, Nos. 1-4 w/ Ivor Bolton & Mozarteumorchester Salzburg - new arrival and will 'cull out' my older set w/ Claudio Scimone (never like the sound on those performances) - Clementi is thought to have composed 6 symphonies, but only 4 were apparently 'reconstructed' in the 1970s by Pietro Spada; curiously, there is an ASV 2-CD set w/ the 4 numbered symphonies + 2 Op. 18 symphonies from 1787 (see last 2 pics below); also, Bamert has recorded these Op. 18 works - BUT, for those interested, reviews are attached of the Bolton & Scimone performances.  Dave :)

I like the Clementi Symphonies. I find them to be both elegant and delightful, interesting and engaging. I have the Scimone and Bamert recordings.

Traverso

Mozart

CD 5

Sonata 16 - 17 - 18 - 15  &  adagio in B moll

Mahlerian

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2018, 08:29:48 AM
Mozart

CD 5

Sonata 16 - 17 - 18 - 15  &  adagio in B moll

How is Haebler's B Minor Adagio?  That's one of my favorite Mozart works, and I like her recordings of the Mozart variations sets.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

aligreto

Soler: Harpsichord Sonata No. 79 [Rowland]

The Allegro is a fine piece of virtuosic music that is robustly played to great effect by Rowland.

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2018, 08:55:21 AM
Soler: Harpsichord Sonata No. 79 [Rowland]

The Allegro is a fine piece of virtuosic music that is robustly played to great effect by Rowland.

I have 2 discs of this series and Rowland totally satisfies me, as he does in Scarlatti too - more so than Ross or Belder. I have half of his integral set, but never got to find the missing volumes :-X

Traverso

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 14, 2018, 08:32:31 AM
How is Haebler's B Minor Adagio?  That's one of my favorite Mozart works, and I like her recordings of the Mozart variations sets.

It is surprising that of all the sets I have,Pires,Zacharias,Larrocha (decca),Eschenbach,Uchida and Lilli Kraus this adagio in B moll is not included.However Ingrid plays it very well,poetical in a way I can appreciate.

I have also a Brendel set and he plays the adagio as well.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2018, 08:23:38 AM
I like the Clementi Symphonies. I find them to be both elegant and delightful, interesting and engaging. I have the Scimone and Bamert recordings.

Hi Aligreto - just own the 4 numbered symphonies, so curious what you think of the earlier Op. 18 pair from 1787?  This would be a nice disc to 'fill out' my collection - have a bunch of Bamert recordings and have enjoyed all - so, looked at some reviews and found several conflicting comments, i.e. one preferring Bamert (over Francesco D'Avalos) and another w/ the opposite thoughts; now D'Avalos is available on ASV w/ 2 discs having all 6 symphonic works at a decent price for a 'used' set - decisions, decisions!   ???  :laugh:  8)  Dave

Traverso

Brahms

Lieder CD 2  Wolfgang Sawallisch

The Brahms songs are top notch     Wach auf,wach auf,du junger gesell ! ;)

aligreto

Telemann: Tafelmusik, extracts from Parts I & II [Florilegium]

For those who either do not know it or wish to listen to a complete version of Tafelmusik this single CD will make a very fine introduction to the work for you. The playing is very fine and the instrumental textures are well recorded. This CD makes for a very pleasant listen and would be recommended as a good introduction to the work.

aligreto

Quote from: André on August 14, 2018, 09:19:20 AM

I have 2 discs of this series and Rowland totally satisfies me, as he does in Scarlatti too - more so than Ross or Belder. I have half of his integral set, but never got to find the missing volumes :-X

That is a big, and therefore intriguing, statement to make Andre and you have therefore piqued my interest greatly.  ;)

I have not heard Rowland playing Scarlatti. 

Overall I find the playing in this Soler cycle to be fine if lacking just a little in expression and flair in its interpretation and presentation. The instruments sound pleasing and the recordings are good, not sounding light or thin. However, I find it difficult not to compare both the music and performances with Ross' Scarlatti where I believe that we are in a different league entirely. Unfair of me perhaps but an unavoidable comparison nonetheless when one is thinking of bodies of work such as these. That is my current thinking but given the above I need to do more research as I value your opinion.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 14, 2018, 11:13:52 AM
Hi Aligreto - just own the 4 numbered symphonies, so curious what you think of the earlier Op. 18 pair from 1787?  This would be a nice disc to 'fill out' my collection - have a bunch of Bamert recordings and have enjoyed all - so, looked at some reviews and found several conflicting comments, i.e. one preferring Bamert (over Francesco D'Avalos) and another w/ the opposite thoughts; now D'Avalos is available on ASV w/ 2 discs having all 6 symphonic works at a decent price for a 'used' set - decisions, decisions!   ???  :laugh:  8)  Dave

Hi Dave. I feel your conflict. I found the Bamert to produce energetic and exciting music making that is well played and presented. However, I must confess, although I have not heard the set, that D'Avalos Complete set does look attractive from the point of view of a completist. Go with your gut feel is my advice.

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2018, 09:39:39 AM
It is surprising that of all the sets I have,Pires,Zacharias,Larrocha (decca),Eschenbach,Uchida and Lilli Kraus this adagio in B moll is not included.However Ingrid plays it very well,poetical in a way I can appreciate.

I have also a Brendel set and he plays the adagio as well.

Arrau is good in that one I think

https://youtube.com/v/5o9D9XqzGYA
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2018, 12:40:08 PM
Arrau is good in that one I think

https://youtube.com/v/5o9D9XqzGYA

Arrau is too much interpreting the piece,to my taste anyway,I like Lilli kraus better.

http://www.youtube.com/v/fQlxAlzmSEg

listener

When trying to decide what I should listen to takes longer than the listening, pick a couple of unopened ones.  These arrived two months ago.
Theodore KIRCHNER: 12 Neue Davidsbündlertänze op. 17,  20 Romanzen op. 22, and  a selection of pieces from op. 29
Jean Martin, piano
Marcel LANDOWSKI: Quatre preludes pour l'opéra des Bastilles
DANIEL-LESUR: Sérénade
Charles CHAYNES: Onze visages de l'antifugue,
Pour faire le portrait d'un oiseau
Orchestre de Chambre National de Toulouse      Alain Moglia, cond
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."