What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

First time listening to the music of Anton Zimmermann, a few tracks from this soon-to-be release are available on Apple Music.

Traverso

Mahler

I don't listen to these songs very often. Why ? Because I love them so much.

André

Quote from: Traverso on August 15, 2018, 08:35:46 AM
Gounod - Dvorak - Richard Strauss

This sunny music is pure nostalgia.De Dvorak serenade in D is music without troubles.

Dvorak's wind serenade is my favourite work of his, and one of the very first of anything I heard in concert.

TheGSMoeller

Bruckner's 8th from Munchner & Knappertsbusch...

André

What's your opinion on that one, Greg ?

André

Concerto no 2. Typical Vieuxtemps: sprightly, lyrical, elegant, with the usual devilish pyrotechnics.

Concerto no 3 begins. It is exactly 75% longer than its predecessor, with the first movement as long as that of the Brahms concerto. I expect a nice time.

Traverso

Quote from: André on August 15, 2018, 12:46:04 PM
Dvorak's wind serenade is my favourite work of his, and one of the very first of anything I heard in concert.

I 'm glad  you like it, do you know this recording?

André

Quote from: Traverso on August 15, 2018, 05:46:50 PM
I 'm glad  you like it, do you know this recording?

No I don't. I guess you recommend it ? It's not as often recorded as its sister work, the Serenade for strings op 22. You've got to love that march and its return at the work's close.

André

Very impressive. In my search for recordings of the work (over a dozen) I notice that timings range from 42 minutes to 62 minutes. Most are around 46-50 (Kalish clocks in at 49). Ives insisted that the score was a template for the performer's artistic feelings, and was not to be construed as a set of technical indications for performance.

Other recommendations ?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: André on August 15, 2018, 04:05:53 PM
What's your opinion on that one, Greg ?

Hi, Andre. I love it, up there alongside Wand/Berlin, Boulez/Vienna as my top 8th's. Knapps takes his time with the music, plenty of space for each theme to develop and reveal itself, so be prepared for a broad 8th. I also like some of the nuances that Knapps focuses on, mainly with the dynamics ,and articulation of some of the phrasing. I find the overall flow is very fluid, a more gradual ebb and flow, but still packs a punch at times.
They are performing the Schalk edition, which I believe this is the only recording I've heard of it. Highly recommended!

Thread duty: Prokofiev's 3rd from this disc...

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 15, 2018, 06:24:18 AM
Bach, JC - Keyboard Sonatas, Op. 17 - on fortepiano & piano:

Bart van Oort - a new acquisition - fortepiano after Walter (c. 1795) by Chris Mean (Ruiselede, 2000)

Looks interesting!  :)

Q

Que

Morning listening - came in the other day:

Goodness, Roberta Invernizzi sounds so.... young:D
Enjoying this very much. My thanks to fellow Invernizzi fan HIPster for the heads up, and to Bubbles for the reminder.  :)

Q

Traverso

Biffo

A second listen to a couple of performances that didn't register earlier in the week -

Elgar: Symphony No 2 - Edward Gardner conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra, fine performance, beautifully played and recorded
Vaughan Williams: Dona nobis pacem - Edward Gardner conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus and soloists - from Prom 41 - moving performance.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 16, 2018, 02:38:48 AM
A second listen to a couple of performances that didn't register earlier in the week -

Elgar: Symphony No 2 - Edward Gardner conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra, fine performance, beautifully played and recorded
Vaughan Williams: Dona nobis pacem - Edward Gardner conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus and soloists - from Prom 41 - moving performance.

I was there for Prom 41 and you are right that it was a very moving performance (being televised on 2nd December in the UK I think). I liked the soprano soloist being situated right at the back, behind the choir and spotlit just for her contributions. I was pleased that my wife and daughter enjoyed it to. My daughter said that she found the conclusion of Dona Nobis Pacem to be a bit too 'It's A Wonderful Life' but that's just an example of her cynicism and I very much disagreed with her.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

And today, in It's Only MIDI:

(Brass tones, though . . . MIDI "voices" are ghastly.)

http://www.youtube.com/v/reGBWH_my20
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

D'Anglebert

A very good recording,a very fine Cembalo and well played.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2018, 03:29:41 AM
I was there for Prom 41 and you are right that it was a very moving performance (being televised on 2nd December in the UK I think). I liked the soprano soloist being situated right at the back, behind the choir and spotlit just for her contributions. I was pleased that my wife and daughter enjoyed it to. My daughter said that she found the conclusion of Dona Nobis Pacem to be a bit too 'It's A Wonderful Life' but that's just an example of her cynicism and I very much disagreed with her.

I am not sure why the performance didn't click on first hearing, somehow my attention wandered. It must have been a great experience to hear it live. Listening to the radio broadcast the soprano soloist sounded rather disembodied, not sure that it was a good thing but she gave a passionate performance.