What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 16, 2018, 03:53:08 AM
I am not sure why the performance didn't click on first hearing, somehow my attention wandered. It must have been a great experience to hear it live. Listening to the radio broadcast the soprano soloist sounded rather disembodied, not sure that it was a good thing but she gave a passionate performance.
Maybe it worked better actually seeing her, spot-lit at the back. I found it more moving than had she been at the front. Was a great concert anyway.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Jean Cras: Legende, violoncelle & orchestre - Henri Demarquette (cello) with the Orchestre Philhamonique de Luxembourg conducted by Jean-Francois Antonioli

Maestro267

Elgar: Symphony No. 2
BBC SO/A. Davis

Harry

My listening diet today:

Franz Krommer, Symphonies 2 & 3.
John Field, Piano concertos No, 1 & 2.
Paul Yuon, Orchestral works.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Bach

CD 1 

Just arrived and now listening,first impression is good,no disturbing  idiosyncrasies ,it is too early to say much but it sounds promising.The recording is quite impressive in the low frequenties
No regrets and looking forward to the other recordings.

Maestro267

Weinberg: Trumpet Concerto
Balio (trumpet)/St. Petersburg State SO/Lande

When I woke this morning, I didn't expect I'd wind up wanting to listen to this, but out of the blue I fancied hearing some solo trumpet, and this is the only such work I have, so here we are.

André

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 15, 2018, 08:33:52 PM
Hi, Andre. I love it, up there alongside Wand/Berlin, Boulez/Vienna as my top 8th's. Knapps takes his time with the music, plenty of space for each theme to develop and reveal itself, so be prepared for a broad 8th. I also like some of the nuances that Knapps focuses on, mainly with the dynamics ,and articulation of some of the phrasing. I find the overall flow is very fluid, a more gradual ebb and flow, but still packs a punch at times.
They are performing the Schalk edition, which I believe this is the only recording I've heard of it. Highly recommended!

I had this version on lp, didn't like it at all. Over the years I have become accustomed to it and now like it a lot. It is very different from other (earlier) Knappertsbusch 8ths, so much so as to wonder if it's the same hand that wields the baton !

Mandryka

Linde Jacobs BWV 170. I was tempted to hear it firstly because I was enjoying Jacobs singing Dufay, and secondly because of this online comment which I found

Quote from: James Leonard here https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/bach-cantatas-bwv-161-170-amp-177-mr0003793712Jacobs performances are truly special because they are truly different. The Flemish Jacobs pioneered the revival of the voce mezzana, the middle or intermediate voice with its falsetto tone and chest projection, and these performances are in a real sense a new way of hearing Bach's melodies. In the solo cantata Vergnügte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust, Jacobs sings with a voice somewhere between humans and angels, a beautiful voice that truly transforms the sound of the melodies. Better yet, Jacobs sings with great intelligence and expressivity. He grasps the music not just as his melody with an instrumental accompaniment but as the whole complex of music, words, and meaning.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on August 16, 2018, 07:31:11 AM
Bach

CD 1 

Just arrived and now listening,first impression is good,no disturbing  idiosyncrasies ,it is too early to say much but it sounds promising.De recording is quite impressive in the low frequenties
No regrets and looking forward to the other recordings.

I agree about the bass there, the Freiberg Silbermann  sounds good, and I'd be surprised if you had real regrets because of the set!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

listener

MENDELSSOHN:  3 Preludes & Fugues, op.37 Chorale & Variations on Die Tugend wird durch's Kreuz geübet and an assortment of short pieces
Jacques Amade, organ of Les Billettes, Paris
SCHUMANN: 6 Études in the form of Canons, op. 56  4 Esquisses op.58, 6 Fugues on B-A-C-H op. 60
Georges Delvallée. Organ of Saint-Antoine de Quinze-Vingts, Paris
inventive pieces on good-sounding organs, not boring at all.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

This is a 1956 mono recording. Despite slightly wiry string tone, there is ample space around and behind the orchestra. It could easily be mistaken for early stereo. Sawallisch was a great advocate of the composer's music, going on to perform and record Antigonae, Der Kluge, Die Mond among other works. The 33 year old conductor marshals the huge forces with a sure hand. It is a zesty, earthy, colourful interpretation and an important link to a south german music-making tradition that has become quite internationalized in the last decades.

North Star

Dvorak
Symphony no. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 10 (B 34)
Neumann & Czech Phil

[asin]B0077DDWEE[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Maestro267

Bruckner: Symphony No. 5
Berlin PO/Karajan

Listening to the finale of this remarkable piece now, and I only just noticed how Brucker, during the fugal development, turns the chorale theme upside down!

Traverso

Strauss

One of the finest in my opinion,recorded in the Sofiensaal.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 16, 2018, 05:44:20 AM
Jean Cras: Legende, violoncelle & orchestre - Henri Demarquette (cello) with the Orchestre Philhamonique de Luxembourg conducted by Jean-Francois Antonioli

Another composer whose music I like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Listening to some middle quartets (Op. 59-2, Op. 74, Op. 95). I think my favorite is the Op. 59-2 in E minor. It's one of the most cohesive and vibrant, besides there are pretty good themes you can hum.

Jamie

The Siebe Henstra section of this pretty wonderful collection...this music is nearly all new to me and I'm finding a lot to enjoy

Wakefield

Haydn: Symphony in D, H.I No.31 - "Horn Signal"

Marvelous composition and interpretation. I thought I needed to rest, but immediately came the mesmerizing adagio of the symphony No.34... Just one more.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Traverso

Quote from: Jamie on August 16, 2018, 02:03:00 PM
The Siebe Henstra section of this pretty wonderful collection...this music is nearly all new to me and I'm finding a lot to enjoy

Indeed a fine collection. :)

kyjo

Yoshimatsu - Alto Saxophone Concerto "Cyber Bird":

[asin]B00000JINX[/asin]

Despite some noisy sections which are meant to imitate free jazz, this is a spirited, entertaining work.

Howells - Piano Quartet:

[asin]B000NJVYUI[/asin]

A beautiful work, but a bit on the "generic English pastoral" side. That said, the slow movement is quite moving. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the performance, which lacks dynamic subtleties and a more refined tone color I think this work would benefit from.

Wellesz - Symphony no. 1:

[asin]B0002J9TVU[/asin]

This was my first exposure to Wellesz's music. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it - the first two movements are a bit on the "grey" side, but the third and final movement is a gorgeous neo-Brucknerian/Mahlerian adagio!

Dvořák - Piano Quartet no. 1:

[asin]B074JQDKLR[/asin]

For some reason, I didn't think much of this work when I first listened to it a couple years ago - I'm sure glad I revisited it! Though it may not reach the heights of his masterful 2nd piano quartet, it's still a really fine work, with great tunes and imaginative writing. The slow movement is a haunting theme-and-variations, and the spirited third movement creatively combines scherzo and finale. I was extremely impressed by the marvelously sparkling and characterful performance by the Busch Trio and Miguel Da Silva - I shall definitely be looking out for more performances by these talented young artists!

Tveitt - Hardanger Fiddle Concerto no. 1:

[asin]B000063TSD[/asin]

This concerto for the hardanger fiddle - which has twice as many strings as a regular violin and a less full-bodied tone - is more than just a novelty. My favorite movement was the catchy finale, which has an almost Copland-like folksy "stomp" and earthiness.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff