What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: Que on December 28, 2018, 07:34:50 AM
Goodness!  ??? Where did it come from?

Q

I purchased it by Dodax,sealed,no problem there.I start looking for another one ,hopefully with a proper booklet. :)

The new erato

Maestro267

Year in Review, Part 4:

Bliss: Meditations on a Theme of John Blow
Bournemouth SO/Lloyd-Jones

Chávez: Symphony No. 6
London SO/Mata

Lloyd: Symphony No. 11
Albany SO/Lloyd

For the record, I only include works I've picked up for the first time during the year. New recordings of already-known works don't count.

Traverso

Christo

Imants Kalniņš (1941), Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra (2012) [27:58]:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SymphonicAddict

The 6 Irish Rhapsodies

The best of his orchestral music (along with the symphonies and some concertos). Each is magnificent, epic, and atmospheric. I can't decide which one is my favorite.

André

Discs 3 and 4

Part III of Omar Khayyám; Fifine at the Fair (tone poem for orchestra after Robert Browning); Sappho, songs for contralto and orchestra (6 out of a cycle of 10); The Pierrot of the Minute, a « comedy overture ».

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 28, 2018, 11:20:01 AM

The 6 Irish Rhapsodies

The best of his orchestral music (along with the symphonies and some concertos). Each is magnificent, epic, and atmospheric. I can't decide which one is my favorite.
No.4 is perhaps my favourite work by Stanford. Great cover image as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 28, 2018, 10:28:55 AM
Imants Kalniņš (1941), Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra (2012) [27:58]:

One of my most interesting purchases of last year. I especially like Symphony 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 28, 2018, 09:23:43 AM
Year in Review, Part 4:

Bliss: Meditations on a Theme of John Blow
Bournemouth SO/Lloyd-Jones

Chávez: Symphony No. 6
London SO/Mata

Lloyd: Symphony No. 11
Albany SO/Lloyd

For the record, I only include works I've picked up for the first time during the year. New recordings of already-known works don't count.
Three fine works.

Mandryka

This is clearly  imaginative, expressive, nuanced, fluid, shimmering, intense, prayerful singing; it may even be modal singing in Rebecca Stewart's sense. A great discovery, another ensemble to explore. I'll rephrase that: yet another ensemble to explore.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on December 28, 2018, 01:06:11 PM
This is clearly  imaginative, expressive, nuanced, fluid, shimmering, intense, prayerful singing; it may even be modal singing in Rebecca Stewart's sense. A great discovery, another ensemble to explore. I'll rephrase that: yet another ensemble to explore.
Their di Lasso disc is wonderful.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on December 28, 2018, 01:06:11 PM

Me and others have sung heaps of praise on these recordings in the past, you must have missed that?  :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on December 28, 2018, 07:30:34 AM

Janáček - String Quartet no. 2 Intimate Letters

[asin]B00G6OJXOI[/asin]

(Yikes! What an ugly album cover!) Janáček's two string quartets stand as two of the most compelling and individual works ever conceived for the medium (IMO). They sound unlike anything else ever written in their desperately passionate, improvisatory nature. The Jerusalem Quartet has been a group I've greatly admired ever since hearing them live around two years ago. Here, they play with an impressive elegance and unanimity (hard to pull off in Janáček!) but I wished for a bit more rawness and abandon in their playing.

Hi Kyjo,

Have you heard the Pavel Haas Quartet's recordings of the two Janacek quartets?  I thoroughly enjoy them myself.  They have also received great reviews too.  They come on two CDs which also feature works by the lessor known composer whose name they took.

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  At my end, I had a very fun time listening to a new-to-me-recording of The King's Singers performing their version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas".  Very funny and enjoyable.  Here's a link to it online for those who would care to check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVIYIy3F-UI
Pohjolas Daughter

San Antone

Wiilaert : Motets
Singer Pur

Discussion in this thread reminded me of this recording.

André

The serious side of Arthur Benjamin, of Jamaican Rumba fame. Potent stuff, esp the bookend movements of the symphony.

kyjo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 28, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
Hi Kyjo,

Have you heard the Pavel Haas Quartet's recordings of the two Janacek quartets?  I thoroughly enjoy them myself.  They have also received great reviews too.  They come on two CDs which also feature works by the lessor known composer whose name they took.

Best wishes,

PD

Hi PD,

No, I don't believe I've heard the Pavel Haas Quartet's recordings of the Janacek quartets - thanks for the recommendation! I really like their recording of Dvorak's 13th Quartet on Supraphon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on December 28, 2018, 02:04:28 PM
Me and others have sung heaps of praise on these recordings in the past, you must have missed that?  :)

I only remember the Willaert motets being discussed, I wasn't crazy about the music, I'll maybe give it another go soon though because I heard a group called Ensemble Weser Renaissance Bremen play some Willaert a while ago and it made my ears prick up. By the way I've started to listen to this, which you may like

Berben's essay in the booklet is interesting too.

(I've also started to enjoy dipping into the new Stella Pachelbel - just a couple of pieces so far)

It's still too early to wish you a happy Christmas isn't it? 😀
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Buxtehude

Very pleased with these recordings. :)

CD 2

Christo

Quote from: André on December 28, 2018, 04:49:29 PM

The serious side of Arthur Benjamin, of Jamaican Rumba fame. Potent stuff, esp the bookend movements of the symphony.
OK, my turn to play it today (after neglecting it for too many years also).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948