What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

A second listening will take place today or tomorrow. Very positive impressions so far, esp. the noble, craggy slow movements. Also, one of the very rare instances where a tuba player is given melodic material to work with (symphony 2, first movement) !

Wordsworth studied under Tovey in Edinburgh. He died in Kingussie, Scotland, at the foot of the Grampians. I sense the barrenness and grandeur of the Highlands in his music, but it's an impression only. Wordsworth is not a musical tone painter.

Kingussie, Scotland.

Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie.

Maestro267

Having just learnt of his passing, aged 91:

Joubert: Symphony No. 1
London PO/Handley

Irons

Quote from: ritter on January 11, 2019, 03:20:24 AM
Exploring the music of Betsy Jolas:

This is right up my alley!  :)

I do not know Betsy Jolas but Claude Helffer is a very fine pianist indeed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Cato

Quote from: Irons on January 11, 2019, 07:01:03 AM
I do not know Betsy Jolas but Claude Helffer is a very fine pianist indeed.

That picture of her must be c. 60 years old: she is now 92!

Her oeuvre is also unknown to me: I will add her to the list!  8)

This morning:

Sergei Taneyev's cantata...

[asin]B0002XMEO0[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

cilgwyn

On,now. Daniel Jones' Fourth Symphony. The first symphony I ever heard by this composer. Followed quickly by his Seventh. Which was on the same Lp! Like Wordsworth,Daniel Jones was not a "nature painter";but you feel the South Wales seascapes and some of the more rugged landscape in the music. A welsh Bax,he definitely,isn't! His music is quite romantic at times. Like in this symphony. But there's a craggy quality to it (like Havergal Brian,as opposed to,Father Ted! ;D). I can understand why Johan,of the Brian thread,likes it! The second movement of the Fourth Symphony has to be the most romantic and lyrical movement,Jones' ever wrote. It's full of Welsh fantasy;and does make you think of magnificent Welsh vistas and the deep past. With some big climaxes for the full orchestra,I always find it a thrilling ride!

Harry

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 11, 2019, 06:54:49 AM
Having just learnt of his passing, aged 91:

Joubert: Symphony No. 1
London PO/Handley

O, dear, a great composer died! RIP.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Cato on January 11, 2019, 07:10:38 AM
That picture of her must be c. 60 years old: she is now 92!

Her oeuvre is also unknown to me: I will add her to the list!  8)

This morning:

Sergei Taneyev's cantata...

[asin]B0002XMEO0[/asin]

A heavenly score!

SymphonicAddict

Violin concerto No. 1

If there were music in purgatory, it would sound like this concerto.

Traverso

aligreto

Vivaldi: Four Seasons, Spring & Summer [Marriner]

When I started listening to Classical Music I bought a box set of cassette tapes of Vivaldi's music featuring the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields conducted by Neville Marriner. That was an inspirational set for me as the music was played with a very light touch and with great musicality. And so it is here; the textures of the music are light and both the orchestra and the soloist play very well. A number of decades later and with a lot more critical listening behind me I find that I still enjoy these performances with their great clarity of lines even if the tempi now appear on the slow side. The sound of the orchestra is full and warm and this also lends weight to the sound especially in the storm scene. The music making here has good drive and forward momentum in each of the outer movements, positively sweeping along in places, with languid and atmospheric slow movements.

aligreto

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 10, 2019, 02:23:01 PM

I also feel the Sibelius connection. I even hear a few VW suggestions here and there. It's one of my very favorites of his.

Quote from: vandermolenSomeone I know said that it reminded him of VW's 'A Pastoral Symphony' and I can see what he means....

I must admit that I am not really acquainted with the music of VW so I cannot make any comment on this aspect of Tubin's Symphony No. 4.

cilgwyn

The 1968 Ballads for orchestra,in four quite short movements. This is a very interesting,satisfying and rewarding work. I like it,very much! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on January 11, 2019, 12:02:14 AM

Rubbra PC: Dennis Mathews, BBC SO, Sir Malcolm Sargent.

A less then perfect recording - although the piano is well caught - in no way gets in the way of an original and innovative piano concerto. I played it twice back to back as not being Rubbra's greatest fan I could not believe how good it is! A revisit of the symphonies is now due.

I promise you that once you've spent more time with the Rubbra symphonies, you'll come away with a great appreciation for his composing style. He was brilliant with counterpoint and a lot of his music, or, at least, in many of his symphonies, the melody leads the way while more melodies and rhythms present themselves. It's kind of a stream-of-conscientious type of compositional style, but one that I believe will reward the listener if, again, you allow it the necessary time to get under your skin.

Mirror Image

aligreto

Handel: Concerti Grossi Op. 6 Nos. 9-12 [Hogwood]

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on January 11, 2019, 10:41:45 AM
Handel: Concerti Grossi Op. 6 Nos. 9-12 [Hogwood]

By the way, aligreto, I couldn't help but notice, several pages back, that you haven't explored much of Vaughan Williams' music? This must be rectified soon!

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 10:43:13 AM
By the way, aligreto, I couldn't help but notice, several pages back, that you haven't explored much of Vaughan Williams' music? This must be rectified soon!

I do not disagree. I do have two complete symphonic cycles [Boult and Previn] in my collection along with various other works but I must confess that they do not receive frequent airings. Perhaps 2019 will be a VW revival year....

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on January 11, 2019, 10:48:44 AM
I do not disagree. I do have two complete symphonic cycles [Boult and Previn] in my collection along with various other works but I must confess that they do not receive frequent airings. Perhaps 2019 will be a VW revival year....

Now this would be cause for celebration, indeed! :)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 10, 2019, 02:48:03 PM
Someone I know said that it reminded him of VW's 'A Pastoral Symphony' and I can see what he means. The opening is very beautiful.
I remember vividly how I leaped from my seat on hearing this opening on the radio, in the early 1980s. Yet, I don't think it comes anywhere close to the 'Pastoral'; its outright lyricism is much more direct and abundant - more like Moeran, I'd say - though at the same time I agree this is a war symphony too.   ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948