What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 11, 2019, 01:34:35 PM

An American Place

It's the first work I listen to from this composer, and it's turning out an inspiring piece. The music is unpretentious in scope, rather carefree and optimistic. Fortunately there are composers that are creating music in a tonal language, like Fuchs.

I have that Fuchs Naxos series and seldom listen to it. I suppose one of the main reasons is I find much of the music just goes nowhere, which is a problem I have with a lot of composers working today (there are exceptions of course). I remember hearing his American Rhapsody and first thinking "This is beautiful..." but then after that, the beauty starts wearing thin as there's not much musical contrasts in the work --- it just kind of floats by the ear with nothing really sticking out. Perhaps I'm just being too hard on the composer? This very well could be the case, but seems like you're enjoying it more than I did.

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on January 11, 2019, 12:48:00 PM
Welcome back to GMG, John!

Thread-duty - First-listen Friday
Holmboe
Sinfonias III & IV
Danish National Chamber Orchestra
Hannu Koivula

[asin]B07B6FP2QN[/asin]

Thank you, my Finnish brotha! :D

Malx

Quote from: André on January 11, 2019, 06:26:12 AM

A second listening will take place today or tomorrow. Very positive impressions so far, esp. the noble, craggy slow movements. Also, one of the very rare instances where a tuba player is given melodic material to work with (symphony 2, first movement) !

Wordsworth studied under Tovey in Edinburgh. He died in Kingussie, Scotland, at the foot of the Grampians. I sense the barrenness and grandeur of the Highlands in his music, but it's an impression only. Wordsworth is not a musical tone painter.

Kingussie, Scotland.

Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie.

I will be driving past Kingussie on Thursday and will have a good view of Ruthven Barracks on my way past.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 10:32:00 AM
Symphony No. 3, "Liturgique"

One of the great records of all time IMHO and I'm no great fan of Karajan. The birdsong end of the 'Liturgique' has a unique poetry and sense of sadness in this recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2019, 02:24:24 PM
One of the great records of all time IMHO and I'm no great fan of Karajan. The birdsong end of the 'Liturgique' has a unique poetry and sense of sadness in this recording.

It's certainly a moving symphony and HvK captured the anxiety and heartbreak of it all to chilling effect. Good to see you again, my friend.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 02:01:47 PM
I have that Fuchs Naxos series and seldom listen to it. I suppose one of the main reasons is I find much of the music just goes nowhere, which is a problem I have with a lot of composers working today (there are exceptions of course). I remember hearing his American Rhapsody and first thinking "This is beautiful..." but then after that, the beauty starts wearing thin as there's not much musical contrasts in the work --- it just kind of floats by the ear with nothing really sticking out. Perhaps I'm just being too hard on the composer? This very well could be the case, but seems like you're enjoying it more than I did.

Welcome back, MI! I hope you stick in here for a longer time. Yes, I tend to agree with you. It's not music that leaves a strong impression for its material or development, but I did find it enjoyable and pretty.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Yes,welcome back,Mirror Image! I was missing your contributions! :)

Daverz

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 11, 2019, 03:01:00 PM

Yes, I was starting to wonder where MI was.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 11, 2019, 03:01:00 PM

Quote from: Daverz on January 11, 2019, 03:01:44 PM
Yes, I was starting to wonder where MI was.

Thank you both and thanks to all. :) I've been bitten by the classical bug yet again, so I'll hopefully stick around for a longer time this time around.

Mirror Image

Selections from this fantastic recording:

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 11, 2019, 02:44:03 PM
Welcome back, MI! I hope you stick in here for a longer time. Yes, I tend to agree with you. It's not music that leaves a strong impression for its material or development, but I did find it enjoyable and pretty.

Thank you! Well, as I said, I'm probably being rather harsh to the composer, but those were my initial impressions. Now, when I buy something, I do a bit more thorough job of sampling the music, but, who knows, I may end up enjoying it after spending so much time away from it.

cilgwyn

Bax's mistress (his bird,as they might have,once,said!) Playing Bach's The Well Tempered Clavier,Book 1. Recorded in 1928. Prelude No 1 & Fugue No1,up to,to No 9. I started listening to this a few minutes ago. This is absolutely great! The booklet suggests that,had she been able to (allowed to) record Book 1,in it's entirety,her pioneering efforts might well be ranked alongside those of Fischer and Landowska. I don't know about that?! I'm no expert on Bach;but,listening to her playing,I can't help wishing she'd recorded the lot! And Bax's 'bit on the side' playing Bach!! ::) ;D Excellent sound on these transfers. Very clear & not too much intervention. These recordings could well be contemporary,if they were in state of the art,digital sound! Great cover shot,too! Love that pose!! ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 04:07:12 PM
Selections from this fantastic recording:

I barely made it through Finzi's Nocturne (New Year Music) without shedding a tear. This is a composer that I have repeatedly broken down with. It's almost as if we shared a similar soul. The yearning quality of his music resonates deeply with me.

JBS

Just finished this
[asin]B000007TR9[/asin]
Thank you to Kyjo for pointing this CD out.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 11, 2019, 04:47:55 PM
Just finished this
[asin]B000007TR9[/asin]

I've got the same works in the Sibelius Edition on BIS and rather enjoy the music as well. Vänska is the conductor I believe (w/ the Lahti SO) in these performances from the BIS set.

Thread duty -

Tippett's Double Concerto

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 04:44:59 PM
I barely made it through Finzi's Nocturne (New Year Music) without shedding a tear. This is a composer that I have repeatedly broken down with. It's almost as if we shared a similar soul. The yearning quality of his music resonates deeply with me.

I have the same reaction to much of Finzi's music as well, John. Works of his such as the Romance for string orchestra and the slow movement of the Cello Concerto never fail to bring a tear to my eye. As much as I love Vaughan Williams' music, I often find Finzi's music even more moving than his. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 11, 2019, 05:33:48 PM
I have the same reaction to much of Finzi's music as well, John. Works of his such as the Romance for string orchestra and the slow movement of the Cello Concerto never fail to bring a tear to my eye. As much as I love Vaughan Williams' music, I often find Finzi's music even more moving than his. :)

:) To the bolded text, I, personally, wouldn't go that far, but to each his own. ;)

kyjo

Quote from: JBS on January 11, 2019, 04:47:55 PM
Just finished this
[asin]B000007TR9[/asin]

Glad you enjoyed it, Jeffrey! 8) It's a great CD.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 05:35:46 PM
:) To the bolded text, I, personally, wouldn't go that far, but to each his own. ;)

Well, it depends on the work in question I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I love RVW deeply as well. :)