What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 11, 2019, 08:21:12 PM
Moszkowski - Piano Concerto (no. 2) in E major

[asin]B00000AENN[/asin]

A delightful, tuneful, scintillating work. It has garnered quite a bit of high praise in certain quarters, which is understandable, but it didn't impress me as much as, say, Emil von Sauer's 1st PC (to name another lesser-known PC written around the same time).

Sibelius - String Quartet in D minor Voces intimae

[asin]B0040N9HG6[/asin]

I wasn't too crazy about this work the first couple times I heard it, but by now it's grown on me (though I don't like it as much as most of his orchestral works). The vivacious finale, with its "folk fiddling" influences, is especially enjoyable.

Tournemire - Symphony no. 6

[asin]B00005S7X1[/asin]

My first encounter with Tournemire's music, and, my, was I impressed! Written during WWI, it's an epic work for tenor soloist, chorus, organ, and orchestra that's quite individual in style, reminding me in places of Lili Boulanger's choral/orchestral works (particularly Psalm 130, which happens to be a text Tournemire also sets in the dramatic central portion of the work). Stirring stuff!

Maconchy - Symphony for Double String Orchestra

[asin]B000PGTICU[/asin]

A muscular, invigorating work that is a fine addition to the 20th-century string orchestra repertoire. Looking at Wikipedia, I see that Maconchy also has two symphonies for full orchestra that she withdrew - I'd sure like to hear them!

Farrenc - Nonet

[asin]B0000245ZX[/asin]

I was asked to play this in a couple months, so I gave it a spin. What delightful, fresh, mellifluous music!

Tournemire is a most interesting composer - Symphony 3 'Moscow' is especially fine.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 01:26:29 PM
Quiet City from this set:

I love 'Quiet City' - one of my favourite short works by Copland.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Now streaming Brahms, Nanie (Blomstedt, San Francisco SO)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Thread duty, obeing the collective lure of the so-called BSE (Braga Santos experts):
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

amw

The new(ish) Arnold Rosner symphony on Toccata:

The musical language in this work is strongly reminiscent of Shostakovich, or another similar composer (maybe Allan Pettersson?) but not without originality or individual interest. Not very easy to digest on a first listen as the music tends to be at a uniform level of intensity and is based on intervals rather than recogniseable themes, so will probably hold up better on a second listen.

Que

Morning listening - recent arrival:

[asin]B013XHKH8G[/asin]
The Goldbergs performed on viols... on 2 discs...

I guess if you like viols and are a Fretwork fan - like me - it might work...

Q

Madiel

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2019, 01:30:47 AM
Morning listening

Despite reading this night after night, it continues to startle me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

cilgwyn

I bought a load of cd's of D'indy,a while back. Then got rid of them,after deciding that,his music was quite pleasant,but uneven.......................and,anyway,there just,isn't,much room here!! ::) :(
However,I did rather like Diptyque méditerranéen and Poème des rivages;which were on the Timpani cd,I had. However,Istar was on the same cd,placed between those works,and,while it was quite pleasant (or interesting?) I felt I'd rather just listen to the two other works & focus my mind on those! They are both depictions of sea (Diptyque méditerranéen) & shore (Poème des rivages). I hope I've got that the right way around?!! ::) Someone also (I forget,exactly,where?) described them as a,sort of,French equivalent of Bax or Delius! I hadn't thought of that ??? ;D,to be honest;and as I like Bax and Delius,this comparison appealed to me. So I bought this,s/h,emi cd,which arrived today. I can now focus my attention on sea & shore;and yes,I can hear the Delius,Bax comparison;but with a distinctly Gallic flavour. I think this is beautiful music,actually. It really does evoke vistas of sunny cliffs and beaches and the sea stretching out to the horizon,shimmering in a haze;with a boat bobbing out there,somewhere (or something,like that? I'm not a poet!! :( >:(). Strange how such an 'orrible sounding person can compose such beautiful music? And there is one truly magical moment in the second 'panel' of Diptyque méditerranéen;which really is quite something! The performances sound good to me. The sound quality is up to the usual high standards of emi France;and I think I prefer these performances to those on the Timpani cd. I can also focus,my mind & ears,on sea & shore! Nice! :) (The music I mean;not D'indy! ::)).

Christo

[asin]B00005S7X1[/asin]

My first encounter with Tournemire's music, and, my, was I impressed! Written during WWI, it's an epic work for tenor soloist, chorus, organ, and orchestra that's quite individual in style, reminding me in places of Lili Boulanger's choral/orchestral works (particularly Psalm 130, which happens to be a text Tournemire also sets in the dramatic central portion of the work).
[/quote]

Had a very similar experience about three years ago, love all of them from No. 3 on, but this one remains my favourite.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Making a first dent in this set:

[asin]B000004CYV[/asin]
Starting off with the First Book of Songs.
Where has this set been all my life?  ???  Pure delight, right from the start. :)
Full notes & texts, thankfully. Simple but stylishly printed paper sleeves.

Perfect.  :D

Q

cilgwyn

Quote from: Christo on January 12, 2019, 02:56:30 AM

[asin]B00005S7X1[/asin]

My first encounter with Tournemire's music, and, my, was I impressed! Written during WWI, it's an epic work for tenor soloist, chorus, organ, and orchestra that's quite individual in style, reminding me in places of Lili Boulanger's choral/orchestral works (particularly Psalm 130, which happens to be a text Tournemire also sets in the dramatic central portion of the work).

Had a very similar experience about three years ago, love all of them from No. 3 on, but this one remains my favourite. Wonderful! :)
Yes! :) I thought that one was great! Tournemire's music has a distinctive sound. It always makes me think of the remote past. Cathedrals (unsurprisingly) spring to mind! The Sixth has a strange atmosphere,that really draws you into it's world. It's a good performance,too. I'm glad Kyjo liked it,too!

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 06:02:41 PM
Thanks! Great to see you too, Andre. I'll definitely be sticking around this time as I'm hooked yet again.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 06:03:49 PM
Wow, sounds like I need to hear this recording....

[Marches off to Amazon to place yet another quick order.] :)

Just out of rehabilitation, Mirror Image almost immediately and tragically succumbs to GMG BAD* Syndrome!   ;)

* GMG Bank Account Depletion Syndrome   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Harry

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2019, 03:39:08 AM

[asin]B000004CYV[/asin]
Where has this set been all my life?  ???  Pure delight, right from the start. :)

Q

When this set was released many many years ago, I bought it right away, and is still a treasure in my collection.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Weronika Ratusinska
Gasherbrum for Small Symphony Orchestra:
I heard this on the radio the other day and was impressed - approachable, tonal music. The 'Symphony for Great Symphonic Orchestra' (2008) is very impressive, reminding me of the very enjoyable and 'catchy' Symphony by David Bedford. Atmospheric, sometimes dreamy semi-minimalist, effectively orchestrated music which always kept my attention:
[asin]B003NFK5TU[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 12, 2019, 12:43:41 AM
Thread duty, obeing the collective lure of the so-called BSE (Braga Santos experts):

And quite right too!
8)
Do you know Boult's recording of Symphony 7?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 07:51:10 PM
The 6th from this new acquired set:

Looks like a great set - but of course I already own the great Boulez box of Mahler symphonies.
;D

Ras

Finishing a new release on Spotify:

Beethoven: Ninth Symphony, Ozawa with the Mito Chamber Orchestra and the Tokyo Opera Singers on DECCA:

(My German skills aren't very good, so the Japanese accent doesn't bother me.)

[asin]B07K22FJ4G[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

André

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 12, 2019, 03:48:00 AM
Yes! :) I thought that one was great! Tournemire's music has a distinctive sound. It always makes me think of the remote past. Cathedrals (unsurprisingly) spring to mind! The Sixth has a strange atmosphere,that really draws you into it's world. It's a good performance,too. I'm glad Kyjo liked it,too!

+1

Way to go, Kyle !

If I may, once again put on a word of commendation for the Liège Philharmonic big box  :D, it contains symphonies 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, licensed from the original Auvidis Valois recordings.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2019, 03:39:08 AM

[asin]B000004CYV[/asin]

Q

I'm glad you like it,enjoy. :)