What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

cilgwyn

Schuman's Seventh,is one of my favourite symphonies,by this composer. I quite like,the Balada Steel Symphony,which is just beginning,now! It begins with the sound of an orchestra tuning up. Lots of ominous,sounding,pulsing,grinding,machine-like,noises,as might be expected from the name! Fun! ??? ;D

Biffo

Berlioz: Harold en Italie & Les nuits d'été – Les Siècles conducted by Francois-Xavier Roth with Tabea Zimmermann (viola) and Stéphane Drouet (baritone). I already have period instrument versions of these works from Gardiner, Minkowski and Herreweghe but I like this new release a lot.

Florestan

CD 1 -- Lamentations and Consolations op 17, Aus Andersens Maerchen op. 30, Preludes op. 33

First item in memory of my countryside dog Max which died suddenly two days ago.  :(

CD 2 - The C major sonatas

Both discs are superb on all accounts, including Say's vocalizing, moaning and groaning.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 17, 2019, 07:47:31 PM
The recent d'Indy revival prompted me to listen to my favorite CD of his music:

Not exactly a revival, I predict it will be quickly replaced by something else, as in a whac-a-mole game  :D

Just too many composers vying for attention  ;).

Mirror Image

Valses nobles et sentimentales

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2019, 05:49:45 AM

First item in memory of my countryside dog Max which died suddenly two days ago.  :(

My condolences as a former dog owner, and continuing dog lover!

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on January 18, 2019, 06:27:16 AM
My condolences as a former dog owner, and continuing dog lover!

Thanks. We'll surely get another one for the countryside house and property where my in-laws live. We could use a cat as well --- had two, one disappeared without trace, the other one was inadvertently crushed by my wife's cousin's car.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maestro267

Bartók: The Wooden Prince
New York PO/Boulez

Mandryka

CD 1 -- Lamentations and Consolations op 17, Aus Andersens Maerchen op. 30, Preludes op. 33

CD 2 - The C major sonatas

Both discs are superb on all accounts, including Say's vocalizing, moaning and groaning.  :D

You've had a lot of bad things happen recently - I'm sure you're feeling bad and I hope things start to feel better sooner rather than later.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: andolink on January 18, 2019, 02:02:52 AM
Until now I'd always been dismissive when the subject of Geminiani came up but no more.  Cafe Zimmermann have opened my ears to his originality and quirky brilliance.  A beautiful recording - -

That looks like a great combination.

aligreto

My condolences. My dog died over one year ago and I still grieve for him.

aligreto

Brahms: Double Concerto [Ferras/Tortelier/Kletzki]

Harry

Shakespeare's Musick.
CD III, Purcell's Shakespeare, Purcell's setting and interpolation made into Shakespeare's plays.
CD IV, Thomas Linley JR, Ode on the witches and fairies of Shakespeare.
Musicians of the Globe, Philip Pickett.

Absolute charming music well performed and sung. But I also have to add that the quality of singing, especially with the many sopranos, is not always without strain. Sometimes the vocal parts needs much more control of timbre. They often are to loud and at times the voices cut through your nerves. Luckily that's not often the case, so there is enough left to enjoy wholeheartedly.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Brian

how did I not know these recordings existed

ritter

Quote from: Traverso on January 18, 2019, 07:41:56 AM
Maderna

Meraviglioso! Grande, Maderna, grandissimo! That's one great CD your listening to there, Traverso:)

THREAD DUTY:

Some old-style Bach (but as good as it gets IMHO). The Mass in B minor with Eugen Jochum and his Bavarian radio band:

From this box box:

[asin]B0766FLLJW[/asin]

aligreto

Quote from: aligreto on January 17, 2019, 11:00:45 AM
Purcell: The Indian Queen [Hogwood]

First Music
Second Music
Overture
Prologue
Act 2

Purcell: The Indian Queen, Acts 3, 4 & 5 [Gardiner]

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2019, 08:35:31 AM

THREAD DUTY:

Some old-style Bach (but as good as it gets IMHO). The Mass in B minor with Eugen Jochum and his Bavarian radio band:

That is interesting. I have a different Bach B minor Mass under Jochum

Is it possible to find out from your set what year your recording was made please?
My recording seems to have been made in 1982.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on January 18, 2019, 05:50:00 AM
Not exactly a revival, I predict it will be quickly replaced by something else, as in a whac-a-mole game  :D

Just too many composers vying for attention  ;).

I wonder if I nucleated the d'Indy revival. My listening notes say I started listening to a disc of d'Indy chamber music of December 30, 2018 (Piano Trio #2, Sextet, String Quartet #2) but didn't mention it here until January 10. I've been listening to the stuff on and off since then.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.msg1193071.html#msg1193071

Last night I listened to music from two EMI France discs by Pretre and Dervaux

Diptyque Mediterraneen by Pretre

A nice piece, the recording here is rather wan and thin. Far inferior to the Gamba/Iceland recording on Chandos.

Jour D'ete a la Montage (forgive me the diacritics, I don't have the keyboard for it) by Dervaux

Very good recording, generally lusty performance in authentic French style in good late analog sound. Orchestre Philharmonique Des Pays De Loire is one of my favorite orchestra names.