What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: aligreto on January 18, 2019, 08:58:54 AM
That is interesting. I have a different Bach B minor Mass under Jochum

Is it possible to find out from your set what year your recording was made please?
My recording seems to have been made in 1982.
My recording is much earlier, live (but slated for commercial release) from the Herkulessaal of the Munich Residence in December 1957. The Fontana label (which initially released this) was a sublabel of Philips, which was later incorporated into Polygram and, as a result, nowadays has the "right" to appear in a "Complete Recordings on DG" set (as my box is labelled).

Cheers,

Traverso

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2019, 08:35:31 AM
Meraviglioso! Grande, Maderna, grandissimo! That's one great CD your listening to there, Traverso:)

:)

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2019, 07:55:55 AM
You've had a lot of bad things happen recently - I'm sure you're feeling bad and I hope things start to feel better sooner rather than later.

I didn't even mention the throat-cancer death of my closest cousin, mid-December... so yes, it's been a very bad period in my life. Sigh.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

NikF

Quincy Porter: String Quartets 1-4 - Ives Quartet.

[asin]B000REGIS2[/asin]

One of a few fairly recent purchases, this (and the second disk containing 5-8) made unheard.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

cilgwyn

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 18, 2019, 08:59:08 AM
I wonder if I nucleated the d'Indy revival. My listening notes say I started listening to a disc of d'Indy chamber music of December 30, 2018 (Piano Trio #2, Sextet, String Quartet #2) but didn't mention it here until January 10. I've been listening to the stuff on and off since then.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.msg1193071.html#msg1193071

Last night I listened to music from two EMI France discs by Pretre and Dervaux

Diptyque Mediterraneen by Pretre

A nice piece, the recording here is rather wan and thin. Far inferior to the Gamba/Iceland recording on Chandos.

Jour D'ete a la Montage (forgive me the diacritics, I don't have the keyboard for it) by Dervaux

Very good recording, generally lusty performance in authentic French style in good late analog sound. Orchestre Philharmonique Des Pays De Loire is one of my favorite orchestra names.
:laugh:

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 [von Karajan]

This is a really powerful, assertive performance yet one that is sensitive when appropriate. Von Karajan gives great credence to this work.

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2019, 09:19:24 AM
My recording is much earlier, live (but slated for commercial release) from the Herkulessaal of the Munich Residence in December 1957. The Fontana label (which initially released this) was a sublabel of Philips, which was later incorporated into Polygram and, as a result, nowadays has the "right" to appear in a "Complete Recordings on DG" set (as my box is labelled).

Cheers,

Thank you very much for that information.

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2019, 09:38:52 AM
I didn't even mention the throat-cancer death of my closest cousin, mid-December... so yes, it's been a very bad period in my life. Sigh.

These things tend to come in cycles. I hope that your cycle changes soon.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on January 18, 2019, 10:08:32 AM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 [von Karajan]

This is a really powerful, assertive performance yet one that is sensitive when appropriate. Von Karajan gives great credence to this work.

I had that vinyl back in the day. Now I have it on CD, of course. Among Karajan's finest work.

SonicMan46

Hummel, Jan (1778-1837) - Piano Sonatas w/ Ian Hobson on a Steinway Model D #230 - recordings from 1986 when the pianist was in his mid-30s; he was a professor at the University of Illinois when these discs were made, now at Florida State University; also the father of Jeremy Hobson of NPR fame - outstanding reviews attached.  NOW, I was just on Amazon and saw the Brilliant 3-CD box shown last below w/ Mastroprimiano recording the same works on a fortepiano - just released a few months ago, so reviews yet to come - anyone know this 'new' box?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Well, I was curious about the fortepiano recordings, so did find several short reviews (which I added to the attachment), both excellent, i.e. 4+*/5*.

NikF

Lutoslawski: Concerto for Orchestra - Wit/Polish National Radio SO.

[asin]B00000FY7O[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mandryka

Continuing my exploration of Gesualdo's sacred music, some of the parts of this music, which is for six or seven voices, have been lost so this is the work of reconstruction. The music is very interesting contrapuntally.  Worth hearing I would say. I knew the singers before because of their recording of Lassus's Prophetiae Sibyllarum -- this may be more successful in fact, as a recording, a performance.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 21 [Barenboim]

This, to me, seems like a very fine performances indeed.

NikF

Riisager: Etudes - Rozhdestvensky/Danish National Radio SO.

A one act ballet that also charms as a musical sorbet.

aligreto

Delius: Sea Drift [Beecham]

At best, I am indifferent to the music of Delius. In this case I stopped the listening session half way through. This is something that I rarely do.

SymphonicAddict

Schlemihl

This is supposed to be the antithesis to Der Sieger. Once more, I find myself marveled by the great talent of this somewhat neglected composer. Reznicek blends humour, drama, exultation, greatness, melancholy quite consistently. I dare to say that it's a masterpiece. The work leaves a strong impression.

I haven't listened to the Raskolnikoff yet.

Daverz

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 18, 2019, 12:04:38 PM

Schlemihl

This is supposed to be the antithesis to Der Sieger. Once more, I find myself marveled by the great talent of this somewhat neglected composer. Reznicek blends humour, drama, exultation, greatness, melancholy quite consistently. I dare to say that it's a masterpiece. The work leaves a strong impression.

As I always like to point out, Reznicek was more of a schlimazel than a schlemiel.  As the saying goes, a schlemiel is somebody who always spills his soup and a schlimazel is the person it lands on.  It's really fun music in any case.

Quote from: NikF on January 18, 2019, 11:47:41 AM
Riisager: Etudes - Rozhdestvensky/Danish National Radio SO.

A one act ballet that also charms as a musical sorbet.

Love Riisager.  Dacapo has a great series of his orchestral music.  His ballet Benzin is probably my favorite.

[asin]B0016IV1W6[/asin]

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on January 18, 2019, 12:14:00 PM
Love Riisager.  Dacapo has a great series of his orchestral music.  His ballet Benzin is probably my favorite.
I agree on Benzin - Etudes is from the newest Dacapo CD (out last month), and it's a modern update on Czerny etudes with colorful orchestration and a good deal more wit than I thought Czerny had in him.