What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Daverz on January 18, 2019, 12:14:00 PM

Love Riisager.  Dacapo has a great series of his orchestral music.  His ballet Benzin is probably my favorite.

[asin]B0016IV1W6[/asin]

I don't think I've heard that but I'll seek it out. Cheers.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

aligreto

Chopin: Fantaisie in F minor [Rubinstein]

San Antone

Dipping into this new set - Mari Kodama : No. 4 in E Flat Major, op. 7

Kontrapunctus

Her hair on fire playing won't be to all tastes, but I finding it thrilling. It's nice to hear someone play with so much passion and individuality. Superb sound, too.

André

The Don Juan Variations is incredible music. The subject is Mozart's opera, but far from being derivative, this is music that invents itself as it goes along, as if the composer had rubbed a magic lamp and lost control over his creation. Amazing stuff. Yet another little-known provincial orchestra from the german hinterland proves the depth of talent out there. Wide-ranging, lustrous recorded sound.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2019, 05:49:45 AM

CD 1 -- Lamentations and Consolations op 17, Aus Andersens Maerchen op. 30, Preludes op. 33

First item in memory of my countryside dog Max which died suddenly two days ago.  :(

CD 2 - The C major sonatas

Both discs are superb on all accounts, including Say's vocalizing, moaning and groaning.  :D

Very sorry to hear about your cousin and also Max.

Losing a loved cat or dog or any other pet can be devastating. We were inconsolable when our former cat died. I hope that things look up for you in 2019.

Jeffrey

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Kontrapunctus

The piano obviously suffers in comparison to the orchestral originals in terms of color and sustain, but taken on their own terms, these are stunning arrangements. I had not previously heard of her, but she handles these monstrously difficult works with aplomb. Superb sound (24 bit 96k FLAC).

NikF

Debussy: Cello Sonata - Fournier/Holetschek.

[asin]B002FAHFP6[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2019, 05:49:45 AM

CD 1 -- Lamentations and Consolations op 17, Aus Andersens Maerchen op. 30, Preludes op. 33

First item in memory of my countryside dog Max which died suddenly two days ago.  :(
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Excellent disc though...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

NikF

Debussy: Jeux - Bavouzet.

[asin]B002Q1LJZ6[/asin]

JBS

This was actually one of the greatest hits of Victorian theater

Despite a rather silly plot that has more than a few holes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_(opera)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SymphonicAddict

Metamorfosi (from pic 1) and Singe die Gärten (from pic 2)

Two very interesting pieces. The first one for strings and the other for chorus and 8 instruments. I'm glad for having explored this fascinating music.

Mirror Image

André

JBS

Just started
[asin]B07H64B7R1[/asin]
Contents
Sta Beatrice d'Este Sinfonia in d minor
Concerti grossi  Op 6 Nos 1 through 5, and No 7
That is, mostly those described as "da chiesa".

Added in as reconstructed parts where von der Goltz thought appropriate  are 2 oboes, a bassoon, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, and a continuo ensemble of lute, harp, and keyboard (organ or harpsichord).

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 18, 2019, 05:31:31 PM
Ravel for me, too:

Excellent! My favorite recording of that masterpiece.

Mirror Image

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2019, 12:26:00 PM
I agree on Benzin - Etudes is from the newest Dacapo CD (out last month), and it's a modern update on Czerny etudes with colorful orchestration and a good deal more wit than I thought Czerny had in him.

Listening to this on Qobuz now:

[asin] B07L5VCR2D[/asin]

Amazon says it comes out... today!

JBS

Finishing off the night with another new arrival
[asin]B07J3691SR[/asin]
Contains along with the standard Elizabethans, a setting (5'46" long) of Shakespeare's  Phoenix and the Turtle by  Huw Watkins, who was born the year I graduated high school....