What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

After Herbie, spending the rest of the evening with Alamire
[asin]B0046YHEQO[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

mc ukrneal

I have been ripping the Haydn set of complete folksongs (see picture below) over the past few days. And along the way, I have been sampling the discs. What joy these bring. First, the singing is better than I was expecting. Jamie MacDougal and Lorna Anderson are quite good. The music is beautifully performed by the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt. Considering the enormous number of songs, the consistently high level of performance puts these forward in their best light. So far, I've enjoyed the duets (with accompaniment) the most. I bought this for about $10 at jpc (no longer available) and it is probably the highlight of my 2018 purchases.
This far, far, far exceeded my expectations. And with 18 discs to enjoy, I have a lot of exploring ahead of me!

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

This entire disc:

Absolutely enchanting. Top-notch performances and audio quality.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2019, 05:29:15 PM
Roussel: Symphony No. 3

Provincial German orchestra, radio broadcast recording, and a conductor named "Bour", hahaha. 

But this is a fabulous performance of the Roussel.  The sound is a touch blowsy, but very vivid stereo.

On Qobuz: https://play.qobuz.com/album/3298490078044
On Tidal: https://listen.tidal.com/album/68610871

I've ran across this conductor's name many times, but I believe the only thing I own with him conducting is Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs which, IIRC, was quite good. I'll have to look out for more his recordings.

amw

Quote from: JBS on January 22, 2019, 05:36:59 PM
He seems to have been one of those prominent conductors no one has heard of
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Bour
As a contemporary music weirdo I've heard quite a lot of him. He's pretty good & if you wanted to hear that repertoire in the 1960s he was one of the best choices (& also these days for some of the repertoire he championed that's never been re-recorded—Cristóbal Halffter, Jean-Pierre Guézec, early Helmut Lachenmann etc)

JBS

Quote from: JBS on January 22, 2019, 06:12:17 PM
[asin]B0046YHEQO[/asin]

I very much liked it. But it amused me to see that, unlike the Amazon image, my copy has a blatant mispelling on the cover (and only there)

Caniones Sacrae 1575

Without the T.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Barber
Two Scenes from "Vanessa"
Roberta Alexander, soprano
Edo de Waart, conductor
The Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra

It's difficult to imagine anything being better sung than these excerpts from Barber's Vanessa.

Mirror Image

Prayers of Kierkegaard, Op. 30

Que

Quote from: JBS on January 22, 2019, 06:12:17 PM
[asin]B0046YHEQO[/asin]

Quote from: JBS on January 22, 2019, 08:01:33 PM
I very much liked it. But it amused me to see that, unlike the Amazon image, my copy has a blatant mispelling on the cover (and only there)

Caniones Sacrae 1575

Without the T.

Glad you like it.  :) Your copy must a "collector's item" - my copy has the T....  :D

Q

Que

My Tactus haul from jpc arrived yesterday evening, which means a big addition to my collection of Italian harpsichord music:

[asin]B00IO56SXQ[/asin]
Roman composer Giovan Battista Ferrini (1601 -1674) was unknown to me, though quite famous in his days. He might have been a pupil of Frescobaldi. Judging from this recording of harpsichord works - in which he adopts various styles in original ways, there is more interesting stuff to discover.

Q

Irons

Humphrey Searle: 1st Symphony with Sir Adrian conducting LPO on a Lyrita LP. The 1st was in fact a Decca recording, the R/S is by Lyrita.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 22, 2019, 10:28:42 AM

Incredible orchestrations by the Stokowski of his time. Excellent program. The Bach, Debussy, Rachmaninov and Mussorgsky have been orchestrated many times over, but not as idiomatically as here. Ravel's take on the Pictures is from 1922 and owes much to Woods', completed and played in 1915, recorded in 1920.

Recorded in 1990-93, superbly played by the LPO and engineered with a suitably wide dynamic range.
That is my favourite version of Pictures at an Exhibition and a great CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 22, 2019, 06:45:41 PM
I have been ripping the Haydn set of complete folksongs (see picture below) over the past few days. And along the way, I have been sampling the discs. What joy these bring. First, the singing is better than I was expecting. Jamie MacDougal and Lorna Anderson are quite good. The music is beautifully performed by the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt. Considering the enormous number of songs, the consistently high level of performance puts these forward in their best light. So far, I've enjoyed the duets (with accompaniment) the most. I bought this for about $10 at jpc (no longer available) and it is probably the highlight of my 2018 purchases.
This far, far, far exceeded my expectations. And with 18 discs to enjoy, I have a lot of exploring ahead of me!

Inspired by your words I managed to find a box in mint condition but not for the same price.Mine is 20 euro and 15 for shipment.I like also the arrangements Beethoven made .DG
Happy to found one 😀

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 04:22:24 AM
George Lloyd: A Symphonic Mass

It's really good. I've owned the CD for years and didn't make much of it. However, following some rave reviews here I decided to give it another go and am really enjoying it:

Fantastic to hear! Definitely one of my favourite choral-orchestral works.

Thread duty:

Penderecki: Symphony No. 2
Polish NRSO/Wit

Penderecki: Utrenja
Soloists (soprano, mezzo, tenor, bass, basso profondo), Warsaw Philharmonic Choir
Warsaw PO/Wit

Traverso

Traverso

Tchaikovsky

Suite No 1 in D minor,Op.41
Suite No 2 in C,Op.53

Harry

Giovanni Stefano Carbonelli. (1694-1773) Sonate da Camera Nos. 1-6.
Bojan Cicic, Violin, The Illyria Consort.

Great surprise, a composer that should be known. His music is high class polish.
And with such performances is is absolutely necessary to have.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Jehan Titelouze, "Les Hymnes" (2 CD'S)
Yves G. Prefontaine, on a Julien Tribuot organ, France 1699.
Les Chantres du Roy.

There is actually a lot going for this recording I think, for it harbours all elements to please the ear.

Harry

The Balcarres Lute Book. A 17th century Scottish Manuscript.
Sylvain Bergeron, Baroque Lute.

Words fail me.........beautiful.