What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 08:28:58 AM
Starting the RVW symphonies...from the end...No.9 it is.

[asin]B0014DAI9U[/asin]

I generally love that set, well balanced, well paced, very good recording quality, interpretations that don't go out on a limb. It lets the music speak for itself, eloquently.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 04:55:44 AM
Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:

Extremely sorry to hear this, Jeffrey! You have my sympathies.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 07:18:11 AM
New release.
The first item is new to me and a very nice discovery:

A bunch of ones that I don't know on there!  Speaking of Bloch, I was just listening to another Philadelphia Orchestra album and was quite taken with another new-to-me work by him:  Suite Modale for Flute and Orchestra...rather haunting.  It was played by Murray Panitz who was at the time of the recording, the principal flutist for the PO.

The marimba concertino by Creston was a fun 'jazzy' break.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Just heard that my aunt (actually a cousin of my dad's) died last night just five weeks short of her 100th birthday - so thought this would be appropriate and consoling music. I often turn to it at such times:

Sympathies. And may the lord protect me from living that long.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2019, 07:33:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear of this news, Jeffrey. All the best to you. She lived a long life, which any of us would be fortunate to have.

Thank you John. As you say she had a very long and also largely happy life. She was always cheerful and took an interest in the world right up until shortly before she died. Still sad though.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on February 22, 2019, 07:44:01 AM
+1. Deepest sympathies.

THREAD DUTY:

Some more Roberto Gerhard...
[asin]B00000465G[/asin]
First listen to the Dances from Don Quixote in their reduction for solo piano. Strange how jazzy the Introduction sounds*, compared to the orchestral version. And the Dance of the Muleteers must be one of the catchiest tunes  in modern Spanish music.  :).

Most of the other works on this CD I have in other recordings.

* Actually, it's a boogie-woogie  :)
Thank you ritter.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

My condolences as well. May she rest in peace.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 22, 2019, 08:52:21 AM
Sympathies. And may the lord protect me from living that long.
Thanks and I enjoyed your comment!
Thanks also to Alberich, Cesar and Kaljo for the kind thoughts.
Living until near 100 is quite something so while there is sadness there is also gratitude for her long life. She lived at home until the end and was very well looked after at University College Hospital in London for the past couple of weeks.

mc ukrneal

Very sorry to hear this. You have our support and sympathies.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 22, 2019, 09:10:12 AM
Very sorry to hear this. You have our support and sympathies.
Thank you so much.

JBS

My condolences as well....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SonicMan46

Korngold, Erich (1897-1957) - a 'musical chameleon' - Austrian-born prodigy, pianist, composer, & conductor all based in European classical music, but w/ the rise of the Nazi regime, he moved to the United States in 1934 and became a film composer (short quote below from his Wiki bio) - because of the latter, I have him in my American collection - own nearly a dozen discs w/ only 2 from his film compositions - will take several days, but to start the recordings shown below.  Dave :)

QuoteOverall, he wrote the score for 16 Hollywood films, receiving two more nominations. Along with Max Steiner and Alfred Newman, he is one of the founders of film music. Although his late classical Romantic compositions were no longer as popular when he died in 1957, his music underwent a resurgence of interest in the 1970s beginning with the release of the RCA Red Seal album "The Sea Hawk: the Classic Film Scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold" (1972). (Source)

Karl Henning

Condolences, Jeffrey
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

I'd completely forgotten how wonderful this second Juilliard cycle is.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

NikF4

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2019, 07:00:32 AM
Ooooh!  I bet that that is a 'yummy' boxset?!

PD

Yeah. And I remember when buying that much of the music it contained was new to me and so kind of a bonus.

NikF4

That's a good, long innings she had.

All the best to you, vandermolen.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 22, 2019, 08:47:14 AM
I generally love that set, well balanced, well paced, very good recording quality, interpretations that don't go out on a limb. It lets the music speak for itself, eloquently.

Maybe I have a problem with the music itself  :blank: I listened to the 9th then to Job on the same CD and it still just merges in an overall "sameness", a few soaring moments here and there, all merging together. I'll revisit the other symphonies in the Davis' and Handley's in any case and see how it goes with the rest.
Olivier

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 11:33:35 AM
Maybe I have a problem with the music itself  :blank: I listened to the 9th then to Job on the same CD and it still just merges in an overall "sameness", a few soaring moments here and there, all merging together. I'll revisit the other symphonies in the Davis' and Handley's in any case and see how it goes with the rest.

I'm struggling to specifically remember the 9th from that set. Most recently I listened to A London Symphony (#2) and enjoyed it a lot.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 22, 2019, 11:43:55 AM
I'm struggling to specifically remember the 9th from that set. Most recently I listened to A London Symphony (#2) and enjoyed it a lot.

I agree on the 2nd, it's the only one that clicked for me, none of the others yet.
Olivier

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 22, 2019, 11:47:56 AM
I agree on the 2nd, it's the only one that clicked for me, none of the others yet.

Vaughan Williams in general, or this set in particular?