What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Debussy
Études
Momo Kodama, piano

So far, this is shaping up to be an outstanding performance. I had to re-edit the tracklisting as I didn't want Hosokawa interspersed with the Debussy and also I had to re-list the tracklisting so that all the Études would be in the correct order.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2019, 06:57:01 PM
Yes, but he's a nightmare even on my regular stereo. ;)
A volume terrorist.

Of course, I sometimes think Beethoven is a volume terrorist so I might be biased.

NikF4

Debussy/Ravel: String Quartets - Parrenin Quartet.

[asin]B000023XU4[/asin]

As mentioned before, my preferred recording. As not mentioned before, current bimbo talk "I know this"- sure...

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2019, 06:49:41 PM
I own some Kancheli. I OWN SOME KANCHELI! [Insert inaudible "I own some Kancheli".] ;D But, in all seriousness, he's a composer I'm not really taken with as the extreme dynamics of his music means that I basically need to have my fingers affixed to a volume knob. Yeah, not enjoyable at all!
LOL  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

On repeat. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite solo piano recordings. Some time ago Harry sang its praises and boy was he right.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Irons

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on March 13, 2019, 01:53:50 PM
This is a wonderful series--well played and recorded.

Coincidently I listened to the 8th (Taneyev Leningrad Quartet) yesterday. Impressed, so much so intending to explore his chamber music further.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2019, 10:14:21 AM
I see the Sarge smiling!

That in itself would be a good thing  8)

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2019, 10:21:56 AM
If you really want to see Sarge grin, listen to the Haydn. :)

Yes! Haydn up next! Actually, the whole damned box.  Everything I play sparkles.  I'm normally not a Wagnerian (and I know the Sarge likes him some Ring), but I definitely plan to play (and expect to enjoy) the Szell Wagner bits and pieces that are in here. 

TD: WAM PC 26&27 Szell with Casadesus
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 14, 2019, 01:55:32 AM
TD: WAM PC 26&27 Szell with Casadesus

Particularly those Mozart concerto recordings are amazing.  :)

Q

Madiel

Bridge, Vignettes de Marseille

First listen to Bridge's last piano suite (after that there are only individual works). Bebbington continues to be excellent, though apart from the 1st movement I don't think the music he's playing is among Bridge's best. The 3rd movement quite literally drones.

Then, back to Vignettes de Danse, which is the orchestration of 3 out of 4 movements of the piano suite (in the order 2, 3, 1).

First listen in quite a few years. Some of the music does benefit a bit from the extra orchestral colour.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Traverso on March 14, 2019, 05:04:50 AM
SWEELINCK

CD 1

That's a Sweeeeet looking book! :) Serious Sweelinck!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Traverso

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 14, 2019, 05:31:33 AM
That's a Sweeeeet looking book! :) Serious Sweelinck!

Yes it is a fine edition together with another on Glossa

Eight of such volumes ( 23 CD's )

https://www.swinckel.nl/

Mirror Image

Bartók
Divertimento
Georg Solti, conductor
Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Mirror Image

Ligeti
Requiem
WDR Sinfonieorchester, SWR Vokalensemble, WDR Rundfunkchor
Peter Eötvös, conductor
Susan Parry, mezzo-soprano
Barbara Hannigan, soprano

Traverso

Karl Henning

Vivaldi
viola d'amore concerti
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ciaccona

NP:

[asin]B07GJ6H74Q[/asin]

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14, H 48

Colin Davis: London Symphony Orchestra

Well... I think this is pretty good.  :D

San Antone

Hat tip to Jens, his review piqued my interest:

André

My opinion on the male singers' performances has not changed: adequate, period. The women though are much more than that, esp. the superb mezzo Karen Cargill, who gives a magnificent perfomance of her part. Davis' conducting is to be commended for its balance, finesse and theatrical flair - he's a seasoned verdian, after all. Chorus and orchestra are excellent and the engineering is the best I've heard in the Requiem. IMO this easily moves to a top spot position in modern performances of the work.