What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Que on March 15, 2019, 12:38:01 AM
Since you're interested in Brahms on period instruments  - which IMO significantly different from what we are used to hear - a strong & warm recommendation for Piet Kuijken:

[asin]B016VJM3BM[/asin]
I find this so good, that I hope and pray for more!  :)

Q

Thank you for the recommendation; I will seek it out. 

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 14, 2019, 02:27:10 PM
I would want them to remaster as they did for Bernstein's recordings, which improved dramatically from the initial CD releases.

All of these boxes are 24-bit remastered.  I say that with no real sense of knowing what that means!  Except that the sound is very good indeed for the age of the recordings and when you factor in the bargain price (the 8 CD set of Sibelius on Amazon UK can be bought for next day delivery for £14.84) to get a proper remaster as well I'm not fussed about the packaging - cardboard sleeves and no notes.....

San Antone

Mookalafalas

Another day, another brilliant pianist and Violinist I never knew existed...
   Monkemeyer and Youn are both stellar here, and with great dynamism and chemistry.  But for some reason they are recorded in a small and resonant soundstage.  Still great--spectacular even, if you love reverb. As I prefer a drier sound, just great.

[asin]B00YI7EEX0[/asin]
It's all good...

San Antone

king ubu

Second spin ... got this as a gift at the evil place last week - most enjoyable for this (former) clarinetist!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Traverso

amw

The B flat sonata.

Interventionist, high on contrast; Schubert more as passionate revolutionary than as meditative purveyor of "heavenly lengths" and "music trances". Less like Marc-André Hamelin, more like Evgeny Kissin. (or Géza Anda, but not as well shaped/emotionally conflicted.) I think it's very good.

Buniatishvili's technique has improved compared to past recordings; piano sound has a lot more colour & nuance to it and there's less unevenness.

Honestly she plays a lot of D960 pretty much the way I'd play it if I were a better pianist.

Traverso

Brahms

String Sextet 1 & 2

The Rafael Ensemble

Madiel

Now that I basically have a complete Mahler collection all of a sudden... I've decided to go back to the beginning. Which will actually mean not immediately starting with the new acquisitions.

So beginning with the Piano Quartet movement, which I have attached to Brahms and haven't listened to in ages.

And which I quite like.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Mahler, the first (unrevised) part of Das Klagende Lied.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Iota

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 07:59:22 AM
Hat tip to Jens, his review piqued my interest:

Can you tell me where one might find this review?

I've been looking for points of connection with Weinberg lately (violin concerto, cello concerto, piano sonatas) and although I've enjoyed some of the piano sonatas for example, the Piano Quintet is probably the most striking encounter I've had so far. It felt emotionally wilder somehow, not so filtered though an objectifying lens. As a consequence perhaps it seemed also structurally less concise than other things Ive heard.

Mirror Image

This may be a first-listen, but if it's a second one, it had been at least 10 years ago:

Enescu
Symphonie concertante in B-flat minor for Cello & Orchestra, Op. 8
Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo
Lawrence Foster
Jean-Paul Barrellon (oboe), Franco Maggio-Ormezowski (cello)

SonicMan46

Well, found a number of 'boxes' in the corner of my 'Early Music' collection, which covers a number of musical periods - so, last few days and today will be giving these discs a spin - :)  Dave

Biffo

Mahler: Symphony No 6 in A minor - SWR Sinfonieorchester etc conducted by Michael Gielen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on March 15, 2019, 06:08:49 AM
Can you tell me where one might find this review?

I've been looking for points of connection with Weinberg lately (violin concerto, cello concerto, piano sonatas) and although I've enjoyed some of the piano sonatas for example, the Piano Quintet is probably the most striking encounter I've had so far. It felt emotionally wilder somehow, not so filtered though an objectifying lens. As a consequence perhaps it seemed also structurally less concise than other things Ive heard.

The review in question can be found here: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/the-stamic-quartets-great-weinberg-bloch-combo/

Traverso

Monteverdi

CD 11

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on March 15, 2019, 12:31:17 AM
I am pleased that you appear happy with your purchase of this recording.

After enjoying his first set, then discovering many other performers I've discounted Yo-Yo Ma, but he's got the goods. :)

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

First listen to George Lloyd's 10 Symphony "November Journeys". A tad underwhelming so far (halfway in 3rd. mvt)

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 14, 2019, 12:14:47 PM
Ormandy was collateral damage to my contempt for terrible vinyl that Columbia Records USA was selling when I started collecting. I don't think I have a single Ormandy recording in my collection. I wonder if Sony is preparing an Ormandy Edition anytime soon....

A can of worms as there are so many variables. Cartridges are so more sophisticated today then they were when you listened to Columbia recordings on LP. Phono pre-amps too, Graham Slee has just released one, Accession, which has settings for British and American recordings. The vinyl world has moved on. My best recording so far this year is this one. The sound is fantastic.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.