Papy Oli

More George Lloyd  - 11th, this time.

Olivier

Traverso

Zoltán Kodály

Sonata for Solo Cello Op. 18

Ciaccona

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2019, 04:49:18 AM
Now that I basically have a complete Mahler collection all of a sudden...

Did you decide on a Symphony Cycle? - Curious to know which one you ended up picking?...

Ciaccona

NP:

[asin]B000J20V8K[/asin]

Shostakovich: String Quartet #2 in A, Op. 68

Rubio Quartet

Ciaccona

NP:

[asin]B00004SA86[/asin]

Mahler: Symphony #5 in C Sharp Minor

Rafael Kubelik: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra

OK - I have kicked Puccini and Shostakovich off of my iPod and am now commited to listening to some Mahler... :D

André

Madiel

Quote from: Undersea on March 15, 2019, 09:15:20 AM
Did you decide on a Symphony Cycle? - Curious to know which one you ended up picking?...

Yes, Gielen. Which also has all the Knaben Wunderhorn songs I didn't have (and all the other orchestral songs that I now have 3 copies of!)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2019, 06:49:26 AM
This may be a first-listen, but if it's a second one, it had been at least 10 years ago:

Enescu
Symphonie concertante in B-flat minor for Cello & Orchestra, Op. 8
Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo
Lawrence Foster
Jean-Paul Barrellon (oboe), Franco Maggio-Ormezowski (cello)

What did you think of this work, John? Despite being a cello concerto aficionado, I found it to be rather uncohesive and not particularly memorable, though doubtlessly containing some very nice passages.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Kontrapunctus

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 15, 2019, 06:49:26 AM
This may be a first-listen, but if it's a second one, it had been at least 10 years ago:

Enescu
Symphonie concertante in B-flat minor for Cello & Orchestra, Op. 8
Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo
Lawrence Foster
Jean-Paul Barrellon (oboe), Franco Maggio-Ormezowski (cello)

I've also had the set for years and can't remember if I've listened to it or not. I have a vague idea I did, but it's not in my listening notes.

SonicMan46

Savall, Jordi w/ Hespèrion XXI - found these 3 recordings in a corner stack - wonderful stuff!  Dave :)

vandermolen

Symphony No.1:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Draško

Quote from: André on March 15, 2019, 10:27:24 AM

I used to have Erich Kleiber conducting Paris Conservatoire Orchestra in Tchaikovsky 4th and 6th, but never warmed to it. Too rigid and unyielding. Got rid of it in the end. Hopefully Koln finds him in a bit more flexible mood.

Madiel

Faure

Stott

Barcarolle No.1 and Nocturne No.3
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

André

Quote from: Draško on March 15, 2019, 03:15:09 PM
I used to have Erich Kleiber conducting Paris Conservatoire Orchestra in Tchaikovsky 4th and 6th, but never warmed to it. Too rigid and unyielding. Got rid of it in the end. Hopefully Koln finds him in a bit more flexible mood.

I'd say it's flexible and, overall, an interesting interpretation. But there are plenty more accomplished than this.

San Antone

André

Good performances of the Kodaly works, although Fricsay's remain supreme. The curiosity here is Franz Schreker's orchestration of the famous Hungarian Rhapsody no 2 by Liszt. Schreker was half-Hungarian and he had lots of fun revamping the tired warhorse. Compared to the familiar Doppler orchestration this sounds quite over the top.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 15, 2019, 02:01:42 PM
I've also had the set for years and can't remember if I've listened to it or not. I have a vague idea I did, but it's not in my listening notes.

Very nice. This is a nice work and an early one at that. I have found, however, that his late works are the ones that tend to grip me the most, but there are some exceptions of course. I love his Prelude & Fugue in C major and Nocturne (both solo piano works) for example and the first symphony (once I understood its' musical language).

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on March 15, 2019, 01:31:42 PM
What did you think of this work, John? Despite being a cello concerto aficionado, I found it to be rather uncohesive and not particularly memorable, though doubtlessly containing some very nice passages.

It's a nice enough work, but hardly representative of the Enescu that I know and love.

Ciaccona

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2019, 01:15:34 PM
Yes, Gielen. Which also has all the Knaben Wunderhorn songs I didn't have (and all the other orchestral songs that I now have 3 copies of!)

Awesome! :)

NP:

[asin]B00000E58A[/asin]

Mahler: Symphony #2 in C Minor, "Resurrection"

Bernard Haitink: Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Etc.