What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Sibelius, Impromptu op.19

The box has both the original version, written to go with the 2nd symphony, and the revised version from some years later (which is what is usually recorded).

In this case the revisions are extensive enough to be noticeable, and on a first listen I think the revision is a far better piece. Still not major Sibelius, but it's certainly instructive to hear how much more variety he got into the score to break up what was a bit of a repetitive rhythm/melody.

It also feels to me like there is music I recognise from some other Sibelius piece... I have a suspicion it's the 2nd movement of Symphony No.4!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: In the Fen Country - Bernard Haitink conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra - prompted the the English pastoral thread

Traverso

Debussy

La Mer
Nocturnes
Printemps
Rhapsody for Clarinet and orchestra - Gervase de Peyer

Biffo

Debussy: Nocturnes - Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra & Collegium Vocale Gent conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Listening right through this excellent two CD set. Currently on Symphony 3:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Ravel
String Quartet in F major
Quatuor Ebène

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2019, 09:13:02 PM
Foreign places are like that. Home, not so fascinating.

When I'm in North America I get a bit excited when I see a squirrel. I'm sure the locals don't. Whereas of course there are things here that much of the rest of the world thinks are amazing and I'm fairly nonchalant about.

Of course, the vast majority of us live on coastal fringes and we find the outback pretty exotic. In fact there's an awful lot of this continent-country I've yet to see. Too busy going to Europe to see castles...

Yes, indeed. This does seem to be the way it is. France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, England, Czech Republic, Romania, and Japan are also high on my list of places to see.

Florestan

I just love Scriabin's early and middle period music but I don't care much for his late works.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2019, 09:13:02 PM
Foreign places are like that. Home, not so fascinating.

So true. A few years ago GMG member pjme visited Bucharest and he told me how very enthusiastic he was after visiting two museums in my home city that I had never ever heard of before. Go figure!  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Yet another go.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2019, 06:41:15 AM

I just love Scriabin's early and middle period music but I don't care much for his late works.

I must have that recording with Magaloff  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on March 16, 2019, 08:03:08 AM
I must have that recording with Magaloff  :)

To quote another fellow GMG-er, if you must, you must.  :)

Ken B

Beethoven
Some middle sonatas
Louis Lortie

André

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2019, 08:14:17 AM
To quote another fellow GMG-er, if you must, you must.  :)

I found the CD for more than 80 euros,I have to wait. :)

Traverso

Bruckner

Symphony No.6

The Concertgebouw Orchestra

Florestan

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SonicMan46

Du Fay, Guillaume (c. 1397-1474) - Motets from the recordings shown below - have more discs of this composer than remembered, so will likely spend the weekend w/ him - :)  Dave

QuoteGuillaume Du Fay; also Dufay, Du Fayt; 5 August, c. 1397 – 27 November 1474) was a Franco-Flemish composer of the early Renaissance. A central figure in the Burgundian School, he was regarded by his contemporaries as one of the leading composers in Europe in the mid-15th century. His uniquely contrapuntal and complex motet "Nuper rosarum flores" demonstrates the influential exchange of musical ideas among artists around the world during the early Renaissance period. (Source)