What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

In the mood for some flute music, with a twist.

Stuff to infuriate the purists (Les Adieux transcribed for flute and guitar, for instance).  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 21, 2019, 06:54:16 AM
Every time I hear one of his works, I say to myself "That's it?" :D

That sums up my reaction to the 4th. I did listen to half a minute of the opening of the 5th symphony and it sounded more impressive. Will probably try it next.

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/Gwq3dH0Ugv8

This is good I think -- I mean the performance. Ugorski Brahms op 5 sonata.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 21, 2019, 03:30:28 AM
Alwyn: Lyra Angelica - Concerto for Harp and Orchestra - Sidonie Goosens (harp) with the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli
Lovely work and fine performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 21, 2019, 06:36:19 AM
Didn't have much time so opted for something brief. Dag Wiren Symphony No 4.

[asin]B000009COX[/asin]

It was ok. There are two moderately slow movements that frame a brief scherzo-like central movement. The music is relatively mild and built up by playing with short melodic motifs. Some attractive sonorities, melodies, rhythms. Charming music that doesn't seem to exploit the full expressive capability of the orchestra. The sort of music where I feel like, "okay, I got it, next symphony."

I really like Wiren's 4th Symphony - a powerful and brooding work IMO. However, I prefer the recording conducted by Sixten Ehrling:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Brahms

Trio in B Major
Trio in E Flat

The Florestan Trio

André

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2019, 09:34:55 AM
I really like Wiren's 4th Symphony - a powerful and brooding work IMO. However, I prefer the recording conducted by Sixten Ehrling:

+1. Excellent performances, but the sound is somewhat dated. But better that than modern characterless performances  :D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2019, 09:34:55 AM

I normally find Dausgaard to be very good at getting to the core of music. Maybe this is a misfire. The work came across as very 'neo-classical' in his reading. Power and brooding did not come across.

Quote from: André on March 21, 2019, 09:39:34 AM
+1. Excellent performances, but the sound is somewhat dated. But better that than modern characterless performances  :D

Interesting. Dated or bad? I find older recordings can be just as compelling as more modern ones if engineered well.

Well, the point is sort of moot, given the availability of the recording in question.

Kontrapunctus

In honor of the birthday boy.

San Antone

Piano Trio no. 2 in C major, op. 87

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 2

I also was in the mood for something of this composer. I find more enjoyment on the Nos. 2 & 3 than the 4 and 5. This is a life-enhancing and inspiring work, quite Sibelian in spirit.

Sergeant Rock

Dag Wirén Symphony No. 4, Norrköping Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thomas Dausgaard. This is a maiden voyage with this composer.

https://www.youtube.com/v/n4XBgxsipHs

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on March 21, 2019, 10:10:12 AM
In honor of the birthday boy.

I had completely forgotten about that, but just finished listening to this lovely recording:

Bach
Goldberg Variations
Céline Frisch

[asin]B07HSRY4TN[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SymphonicAddict

Some more music now:

String quintet No. 1

Brahms at his most placid and carefree. The 2nd movement contains some pensive music, though. Lovely work overall.

Notturno for piano trio

This work always gets me. The performance given by the Beaux Arts Trio is immaculate and heartfelt, conveying the real spirit of the music.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 21, 2019, 12:08:21 PM

Symphony No. 2

I also was in the mood for something of this composer. I find more enjoyment on the Nos. 2 & 3 than the 4 and 5. This is a life-enhancing and inspiring work, quite Sibelian in spirit.

That's what I recall reading in the notes for the recordings, 4 and 5 more acerbic and minimal, 2 and 3 more expansive. Maybe I should work my way back from 4, rather than forward.

But tonight I will take a detour to Bach's Suite for Cello Unaccompanied No 5 (Ma III) in honor of the composers birthday.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2019, 12:22:19 PM
Dag Wirén Symphony No. 4, Norrköping Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thomas Dausgaard. This is a maiden voyage with this composer.

https://www.youtube.com/v/n4XBgxsipHs

Sarge

Curious about your reaction.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 21, 2019, 12:47:54 PM
Curious about your reaction.

I'm torn between your reaction ("neo-classical") and Vandermolen's ("powerful and brooding"), though leaning towards Jeffrey's. In any case, I enjoyed it; an attractive piece of music (in the sense that it pulled me in) that fits my mood this evening.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2019, 01:00:03 PM
I'm torn between your reaction ("neo-classical") and Vandermolen's ("powerful and brooding"), though leaning towards Jeffrey's. In any case, I enjoyed it; an attractive piece of music (in the sense that it pulled me in) that fits my mood this evening.

Sarge

I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but I got the feeling it left a lot on the table. That bit with the french horns in the middle movement was the best part.

San Antone

For the last week or so I've been completely happy listening to Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann and Brahms.  Right now, this Schumann:

no. 2 in D minor, op. 121

Kontrapunctus

An excellent pianist with sound to match (24/352.8 FLAC).